1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Strawberry Wood

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by nesta, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So there have been a few threads regarding pear wood pipes in the past. And morta, of course. And probably a few regarding olivewood pipes.

It seems just when I seem to have heard most of the materials used out there....

Strawberry wood? What the heck is strawberry wood?

I first became aware of it's existence a few weeks ago. I still know virtually nothing about it.

Enlighten me! Never heard of a strawberry tree, myself....last I checked strawberry was a little leafy plant growing close to the ground, nothing woody about it at all.

2. furious

furious Junque collector

I know nothing about it and am very interested too. All I have are some nice apple wood and rhododendron pipes from WWII.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

4. Nate

Nate Member

It's not from the same plant as the strawberry fruit is harvested. Strawberry wood is in the same family as briar, just a little different configuration. The grain is less than desirable for smooth but is stellar for blasts. See example :D

[​IMG]

Raffxr7, Rodfather and SouthBound like this.
  5. Nate

Nate Member

Oh yes, also...the characteristics are extremely similar to briar. Seems to have nearly the same density, but be a bit lighter. It is a pretty cool material to manipulate!

6. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Thanks, Nate. I like learning this arcane kind of info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.