1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Strider Pipe Questions and Concerns

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Lucas, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, but I've been doing a bit of browsing and you all seem like wonderful people, so I figured I would go with it.
    I'm also new to pipe smoking, and I have really grown to love it.
    As the thread suggests, I have a few questions about what's known as 'the strider pipe.'
    I'm not sure why, it could be my love of Aragon as a character, or of Tolkien in general, but I've become infatuated with this pipe.
    A few questions.
    1. I know that the company that produces the pipe has a pretty bad sales record. That being said, are there any other companies through which I could purchase the pipe that would improve on that?
    2. Does the pipe accept a filter through the churchwarden stem?
    3. Finally, does anyone to actually have the pipe and want to tell me how it is?

Any and all help is appreciated; can't wait to hear what you all have to offer.

Cheers,

Luke

2. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

Can you post a pic or link of the pipe you mean?

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Welcome to PSF from New Mexico.

4. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Are we talking about the pipe made by Luna?

5. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Sorry about the confusion. This is not the pipe made by Luna, but rather the one made by MacQueen.
    Here's the link, and thanks for the help!
    http://macqueenpipes.com/ranger.aspx

6. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

I can't speak for the MacQueen personally, but I have read less than favorable things. I've been thinking about buying a LUNA or a while now.

7. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Looks like it's made to order. That always makes me wary. Never know EXACTLY what you're getting.

8. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Luckily I found one elsewhere so I don't actually have to go through MacQueen.
    Can't wait to begin with the new pipe, and I'm happy to be a member of this community.
    Cheers.

Thuber88 likes this.
  9. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

There is a seller on ebay that is always selling a bunch at the same time. They sell out fast.

10. Calam

Calam Member

I own a MacQueen Strider pipe. As a pipe, it's pretty good. I was too impatient to wait 10-12 weeks for the manufacturer to send me the pipe, so I bought mine off Ebay. Mine has a briar bowl.

As I said, it's a decent pipe, but not the best. I just really like it for the aesthetic. My biggest issue with it is that it has the draft-hole at the bottom of the bowl, not on the side, so it tends to clog easier if you're using a finer cut of tobacco. It does better with flakes for that reason. I really like the wood stem though-- it's not quite as comfortable as vulcanite, and you certainly cannot clench it, but it feels very "old world" while you're smoking it. Keep in mind that since the stem is wood, you do need to be extra thorough when cleaning it, as it is absorbent and will suck up any tar that gets into it. Definitely get some churchwarden pipe cleaners.

It does have a space for a filter, but I forget what size-- I want to say 9mm. You should double-check the description on their website. I don't ever use a filter.

For all its quirks, I love this pipe. It's not my 'go-to' pipe, but sometimes it's the only pipe that will satisfy. And somehow, Carter Hall tastes just as good in this pipe as it does in a cob, which is unusual for a briar pipe...

If you just want a churchwarden, there are better pipes. But if you want a churchwarden that feels like it came right out of Middle Earth, this is the pipe for you.

Lucas, Thuber88 and David Emond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.