1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Stuck stem on Calabash

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WyoBob, Jul 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

A friend of mine has a Calabash that he bought 20 years ago that he wants to get rid of. He thought he had between 10-20 bowls through it. The plastic stem is stuck on the plastic "mortise". He said he never removed the stem, just ran an long pipe cleaner through it. He'd like to get rid of it and I told him I'd try to help him out but I don't think anyone would be interested in a pipe that has a stuck stem. I'm not putting any more pressure on it for fear something will break.

I believe this pipe is an Austrian made Strambach. Kind of a high dollar pipe but I don't imagine anyone would be interested in it if they can't remove the stem.

So, any idea on how to remove the stem? Or just sell/trade it with the disclosure that the stem is stuck?

WyoBob

[​IMG]

2. Professor

Professor Active Member

I am interested - what's the price?

user2725 likes this.
  3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Have you tried maybe wrapping the bowl in a thick towel and sticking it in the freezer with only the stem exposed for 15 or 20 minutes?

user2725 and tungbite like this.
  4. Professor

Professor Active Member

Good idea - if that doesn't work: Brute force. You don't happen to know whether it
    is a 'screw on'-stem or a 'plug on' stem?
    That 'white plastic thingy' in between stem and shank - I guess it could be for a filter.
    Anyway - it's just that 'white plastic-thingy' that seems to cause the problem - Plus:
    It makes a very nice pipe look ugly...

So I'd suggest eBay - or direct business here on PSF! :)

5. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Judging by this photo it is not a threaded stem...
    [​IMG]
    If it were mine I would trying putting some olive oil at the crack where the stem meets the ferrule and possibly a few drops down the stem to try to get some one the tenon and let it sit for a few minutes then I would try and twist it off. The freezer idea it not a bad one either, if the oil trick didn't work I might invert the pipe into a container of ice water submerging the stem and ferrule, wait a few minutes then try to twist it off, keep us updated with your progress.

cobbsmoker likes this.
  6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably try some of them when I get time. Kinda tied up right now: company (two daughters, s-i-l, twin 3 1/2 year old boys, 85 year old father in law from Nebraska), daughters broken Pilot (s.i.l. ran over a dead deer at 2 am, 45 miles south of where I live). My wife and I drove down in two cars and brought everyone home. So, have to arrange repairs, possibly rent a car, fill out Hwy Patrol forms, etc. You know, just every day stuff. And, it going to be 100 degrees while they're here and we have one, low capacity 110 volt A/C.

We're very happy no one was hurt. BTW, my daughter with the twins lives in Aurora, Co where 12 people were killed and 50 injured

A tip for better living: don't run over a dead deer that's been sitting in the sun of summer for a few days. It splatters all over the undercarriage and induces strong dry heaves as you're transferring luggage from car to car.

WyoBob

7. Professor

Professor Active Member

Jeez, Bob! Sounds like you have more than enough 'on your plate' right now!
    I'm glad to hear that nobody got injured! Good luck and best wishes! :)

8. andrew

andrew Member

you should've smoked something overpowering to fight off the deer smell :D

Professor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.