Sugar Barrel

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Glenn, Jul 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Got up this morning real early to get my bbq going. I figured I'd sit outside on the swing and enjoy my coffee and a pipe before everyone got up. It was already over 80 when the sun came up. Wasn't long and it was over 90. Nothing really tasted good. Had some Wessex BF and it wasn't even doing it for me. I went in and dug thru my stash of jars looking for something that might be ok in this damned heat. I spied a pint jar of Sugar Barrel I had not opened in a long time. I am not the biggest fan if OTC burleys so they don't get much play. I thought what the heck, maybe it is light enough that it wouldn't be so blah in this heat. I am on my 4th bowl. It hits the spot when the temps are up. I think this jar isn't going to last long. In a cob and in my Grabow Royalton with black coffee and now with iced tea this is the duck's butt.

Can't wait for cooler weather.

2. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I was wondering what happened to "Sugar Barrel". There was a time in this forum when everybody talked about SB, but not much lately. Glad to see it's still around.

Mington likes this.
  3. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Kinda why I posted that Pschoppy48, it hasn't had much play on here in awhile. Seems like now is the right time to break it out.

Mington and Pschoppy48 like this.
  4. Scottly

Scottly Member

It is pretty good stuff. And 3 star rated on TR.com May have to get some, its been a while.

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Good job! I may pick some up!

6. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Finding a pouch is something terribly hard to do, I may just end up buying a tub and hoping like hell I like it. ;)

Good to know you've finally found a good use for it!

7. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I am going to stop by a couple of places after work and see if I can track this one down. It only comes in the giant tub. If I do manage find some, I would be happy to split it with a couple of people. That tub is way more than I could smoke in a year or two.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I smoke a fair amount of Sugar Barrel, often as the lower half of a parfait with SWR. I enjoy it quite a lot. If you like codger burley but with a nice brown sugar coating, this is the ticket.

Old Codger and Rewster66 like this.
  9. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I had no luck finding Sugar Barrel at the three places I tried tonight. I will keep looking. I have a few more I can try this weekend. Anyone have any extra that they would want trade?

10. BigG

BigG Member

4noggins has it in bulk.

11. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

I too want to try this one. I rarely see it in any store so I might have to order some soon.

12. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Ordered some! Thanks for the tip!

13. SmokingGun

SmokingGun Member

SB was the very first leaf to go on my wish list, and I still haven't snagged any yet (something about ordering it online I'm going to have to get over...). Will probably get some now just because of this thread.

Also, I've seen a blend on the JM Boswell site called Christmas Cookie that sounds very similar. Anyone know anything about this one?

Old Codger likes this.
  14. user2725

user2725 Active Member

If you decide to buy a whole can JR Cigars has it with a $5 flat shipping rate.

15. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

The Christmas Cookie is a lovely blend, very mild, just slightly sweet and aromatic. A thoroughly pleasant smoke. I have not had the SB so as to offer a comparison, though.

16. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

A mystery package from Mington showed up today - in it was a lovely bit of Sugar Barrel. After I choke this Ennerdale down :)-)) I'll get into that! Thanks!

Mington likes this.
  17. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

:popc:

Spillproof likes this.
  18. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I'll take ya up on that, I haven't tried it yet.

19. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I haven't tried it either. I would also be up for some.

20. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i don't like orderin' on line either--BUT i have found that most will allow phone orders, thus preventing putting sensitive data on the net--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.