Sugar Barrel

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by Bri2k, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

In my last TAD order from 4noggins was 2 oz. bulk of John Middleton's Sugar Barrel. At least that's what the sticker says, so I'll take their word for it. The aroma in the baggie tickled some very deep memory, but it took me a while to figure out that it was a dead ringer for the Stella D'Oro Anisette Sponge cookies my dad liked to dunk in his coffee for dessert.

Anisette is one of those things you either love or hate. Even though this is a Middleton product, there's no middle ground when it comes to anisette. In Sugar Barrel, the anisette is much more prominent in the bag/tin aroma than in the smoke, but I could still taste a hint of it. The overall flavor is like sweet, fresh-baked cookies, but not at all cloying. They got the sugar in Sugar Barrel just right. If you don't smoke this one slow, it can be harsh, but so far, no matter how hard I puff, it hasn't bitten me.

I've heard so much about this one that I decided to smoke it on and off for a few days before putting together a write-up. I'm glad I waited as I discovered this tobacco seems to prefer my newly arrived estate Grabow Starfire billiard above all my other pipes.

[​IMG]

I was able to get most of the plusses and minuses others mentioned about this blend over on TobaccoReviews.com and overall I found Sugar Barrel enjoyable. It's a solid, simple, honest smoke and being an OTC, it's easy on the wallet. Sugar Barrel isn't at all pretentious. What you see and smell is exactly what you get. While not something I'd want on a daily basis, others might make it their go-to smoke and it's got enough nicotine to go the distance. If you're curious about classis American "drugstore" blends, pick up some Sugar Barrel. I found it better than some OTCs and on a par with others.
  2. Major

Major New Member

Well said Br2k! Well said.

Despite the well written reveiw .... I still don't like SB or annisett and you can't make me either. :)
  3. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

Glad you enjoyed the review, Mr Ben. Sometimes I find a review more useful when it lets me know there's something in a blend I don't like so I can cross it off my list. Anisette is definitely a love/hate sort of flavor.

Given I can't stand even a whiff of Ouzo decades after working countless "Greek Nights" at Ciro's, I'm surprised I like anisette.
  4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

The only TR reviewer's review worth reading is from that yinyang bloke. The rest are hacks with agendas.

Nice review, BTW....even if you aren't yinyang.

Yours truly-

yinyang.
  5. Major

Major New Member

Can you smell that? (sniff)

Smells like cabbage too.

I think yinyang was here. :bling:
  6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Sorry...my wife talks in the third person when she gets mad...I think it's hilarious to do it now. (I'm not crazy...)

Sugar Barrel and Cabbage...sounds like a buddy movie.
  7. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Member

I didn't think the taste or aroma was bad but the stuff left me with that little tickel in the throat that makes one cough for an hour or two. Since then I leave it alone.

But hey, if you like it good for you and have at it.
  8. Mington

Mington BM fan (Billy Martin)

You will be happy to know I agree with you Kyle (and Bri2k) and disagree with MrBen.
    Sorry Ben.
    Now send me all your SB! Please!
    :thankyou:
  9. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

An interesting and useful review written by someone with no axe to grind. Can live with anisette though would prefer not too all the time.

Thanks Bri you've given me, for one, enough info to make a decision on whether or not to try this - suspect this is one of the few Amewrican Classics I'll pass on,

Best as ever

Gerry
  10. Major

Major New Member

I done shot that horse in the head already.