Sugarbarrel

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SSGpiper, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

I tried sugar barrel this morning. It tasted to me just what it is - a cheap tobacco. It wasn't bad enough to make me dump the bowl before I finished it, but I didn't particularly like it either. I don't understand what people see in this. I tried it because I have seen so many people online raving about it. I don't write off a tobacco based on 1 bowl, so I will be trying it again. It may be that it was my first pipe of the day, and I was drinking black coffee with it. The next time I try it, will be later in the day with no coffee. Then, if I still don't like it, I'll put it in the stack of "send to someone else, save for a box pass" tobacco.

2. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

:roflmao:

3. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Ok shoot, the sentiment there was not pass off my junk to some sucker. The sentiment was obviously there are people that like it, so I won't throw it in the trash. My stack of "box pass" tobacco also has some high end tobacco in it.

I do see the laugh you got out of it though...hehehehe...now you got me laughing

4. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Hi SSGpiper.
    My first smokes were aromatics. I gradually moved on to Balkans and English. I did learn this about aromatics. You stand a good chance of getting a poor smoke with an inexpensive aromatic. If you think you're going to like an aromatic, do yourself a favor and buy a good aromatic. I've seen Boswell's name mentioned in this forum a couple of times. They have outstanding aromatics. They're worth the little bit extra you'll pay.
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

5. Stoked

Stoked Member

I think SB is OK, but that's as far as I'll go. I think after reading PSF, I was expecting SB to be fairly robust in flavor, just like Carter Hall, but sweeter than CH. In my opinion it is neither. I believe SB is missing something that would make it stand out as a great tobacco, in the same way I believe CH stands out. They are close cousins, but Carter Hall is my kissing cousin. :icecream:

[​IMG]
    Ahh, burley in the morning!

6. Legend

Legend Member

I didn't "get" SB either...and this coming from a guy who smokes Prince Albert 80% of the time. I was glad I only got two ounces of SB...I ordered from 4Noggins. I got pretty good tongue bite from it. I threw it in my "junk jar" with other baccys I either don't like or are leavings from the bottom of a tin or pouch. The sum is usually better than the parts when i smoke it at the end of the year.

7. raffles07

raffles07 Member

I'm no fan of SB, but I wouldn't be ashamed to send out a sample or include it in a box pass. In fact, it's the perfect tobacco for such treatment, being rather less well known than its famous stable mates, and given the number of smokers who rave on about how good it is. How else are you going to find out without buying at least 2oz? which IMO is still a lot of something you don't like.

8. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Sounds like a "mixer" to me.......

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Tobacco is on a real short leash with me. It's too expensive now to be wasting time and effort on crappy tobacco, and when I want a bowl, I want to LIKE it. So while I do try to be fair and try a tobacco in different pipes at different times/moistures/moods etc I don't do it forever and I don't feel bad when I finally send it to Rugby or Falconeer. :whistle:

10. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

hehehehe...send it to Rugby, he'll smoke it, he smokes anything. Like the old life commercials.

11. Marine Dad

Marine Dad Member

I too believe it is better as a mixer. I mix it with equal parts of 5100 and PA.

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

My experience was the same with SB.I went for it because of all the great reviews,and the name sounds like a tasty treat,but my SB was dried out,harsh and bitey.I smoked two bowls out of two different pipes,and it just sucks.I can smoke Carter Hall all day,every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.