1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

suggest a blend to kick the cigs

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by sarge564, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I am trying to assist a co-worker kick the cigarettes. His drive is the economics of tobacco. Smoking $10 a day in sticks or a $1.50 or less in pipe toby. I've given him several samples to try (listed below with his reaction-
    a few aro's- love the room note, other people's comments about the pipe but not enough Nic hit
    Erinmore flake- tounge bite
    Carter Hall- not bad
    SWR- too dry- burned throat
    Escudo- very good and it may work to convert him
    Dunhill EMP- not a fan of latakia

I understand that I can suggest he slow down to avoid the bite and burn. Or, hydrate the toby if too dry. But we are looking to convert him and as little effort he has to put into right now, the better.
    He has one cob I gave him and a basket pipe.

Is there a blend that helped any of you or anyone you know of kick the cigs? If so, throw me a bone so I can convert him. Thanks, Sarge
  2. woody

woody Release the clowns! Admin

May 4, 2009
    Sir Walter Raleigh helped me. It was a smooth transition from cigarettes to pipes.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    So far I've heard of success with the following:

1) Prince Albert
    2) Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake (1, 2 or 3)
    3) Cornell & Diehl Kelly's Coin
    4) Peterson Irish Flake

A high nicotine blend is probably what he wants, but one that's not too harsh.
  4. DanielO

DanielO Member

Dec 26, 2010
    In the last three days I have managed to cut my cigarette smoking in half by smoking several bowls of Prince Albert a day. Now, I was already a pipe smoker, but I am now making an effort to eliminate the cigs. PA seems to be helping me out a bit.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    If the problem is that he simply wants to save money and get a nic fix and it's not a matter of health or anything, then from the sound of it I'd recommend one of the few shag cut, high nicotine blends out there. I love Kendal Dark for that - quick smokes (for a pipe), plenty of nicotine, despite it being somewhat pricey a little bit goes a long way because even packed in the pipe it lends itself to not being too dense (because it's so finely cut)

There's also Dark Birdseye and, on the cheap, Five Brothers. I've never tried either of those but I'd like to.

Failing that Peter Stokkebye sells some very nice rolling....errr....."pipe tobacco" named similarly to some of their rolling tobaccos and packaged differently from most of their pipe tobaccos. I hear they taste remarkably similar to some of their extremely high quality cigarette tobaccos, but in a slightly broader cut....you know, so you can enjoy that delicious cigarette taste, but in your pipe :rolleyes:

Tubes are dirt cheap and a 30 dollar hand cranked injector of high quality will make them come out exactly like store bought, unlike the 10 dollar sliding injectors.

It wouldn't likely save him as much money as smoking a pipe two or three times a day, but if the only reason he's wanting to smoke pipes is that it's cheaper, and not for quality issues, then I'd say this would be a good way for him to get tobacco the way he prefers and still save money.

That said, if he doesn't necessarily need to smoke, some Swedish snus is very nice, can definitely deliver enough nicotine to replace a cigarette habit, and when you buy online it can be really inexpensive, too. Less than a pack of cigarettes, with more pieces than cigarettes in a pack, and each one can reasonably be used for an hour or two -without going outside in lousy weather- while delivering nicotine. It's a good way to cut out the cigarettes and still get your nicotine, imo. I went from smoking half a pack or more a day to using two or three packets of snus a day pretty easily, which meant no cravings and really stretching my nicotine budget.
  6. WillH

WillH Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Dunhill Royal Yacht will do the trick!

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    To bad SWR burns yer throat .. It's what I would reccomend . I'd guess PA would be my next choice
  8. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Dec 16, 2009
    To effectively come off cigs you need a high nic tobacco, and that means GH blends. Kendal Kentucky, Dark Birdseye, Brown Twist, Conniston Cut Plug, Dark Flake Unscented. etc.
  9. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Oct 26, 2010
    He's a newbie, so everything is going to burn his throat or give him tongue bite. I recommend sticking to the OTC blends. SWR is a good cig replacement. If it is burning his throat, tell him to stop trying to inhale it (though I have inhaled it successfully, on purpose).
    I found Half & Half to be very smokable and high in nicotine, though some find it repulsive.
    If you want to go for the mild stuff in tins, Davidoff and Ashton both make stuff so mild that I can't smoke it.
  10. ichabod

ichabod Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I quit the cigs with prince albert. Took me a little while to get used to it and all but that was all I smoked for a while. I still like it.
  11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

May 19, 2010
    I tried using the pipe to help me. No luck so far. I just need to grab the patch. That worked last time...I quit for 6 or 7 years using the patch. Then 4 years ago, had a bad day and said 'bleep' then grabbed a cig. It's been so much harder this time trying to quit... Good luck to your friend!
    SWR, PA and CH might help curb the desire for the cig...
  12. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Thank you all for your reply. I will keep working on him and offering the helping hand. Went camping this weekend and saw a fellow pipe smoker but he was gone before I could extend the secret handshake ;)
  13. nitehawk

nitehawk Fearless Leader

May 14, 2011
    I switched from cigs (Marlboro 72's) to a pipe about 6 months ago. MacBarens Navy Flake did it for me, and have had no desire for a cig since. But, it's different for everyone, it's what worked for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.