Suggest A Blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

So, I'm thinking about what I like to smoke, and it's a very diverse profile. But one of my favorite types of blends is relatively unrepresented in my "cellar."

I really like natural blends with minimal noticeable casing which are chiefly composed of Virginia and burley, but in good balance. I have a good bit of Night Train and a good bit of Exhausted Rooster....but honestly that's about it. And ER is so VA-forward that I really would consider it more of a VA flake than anything else - the burley and perique are just backup as far as I'm concerned.

I'm smoking Robert McConnel Scottish Cake right now, and I'm very happy with it. I'll need to get a bit of it for later, because this is the last full bowl of a sample. It, too, has some perique, but not too much of it.

I'd like suggestions of good blends of VA and burley, where neither steals the show. I'd like a blend where they sing together side by side, not where one is simply backing up the other. It's okay if there's a little perique, or just a hint of topping, or even a negligible quantity of latakia or orientals or whatever in there. I'm not opposed to any of these things in a tobacco blend - I'm simply not looking for the next University Flake, BB#2, Steamroller or Kicken Chicken. I'm looking more for something along the lines of Scottish Cake, Night Train, or even Davidoff English Mixture (which, despite the name, is practically a straight VA/bur, with perique and latakia only used very, very sparingly)

I prefer easy smoking blends, something that is forgiving if you push it but prefers to be savored. Something that is rewarding when smoked with care, but still enjoyable when not. I prefer a fine ribbon cut, European style, to the coarse C&D type cut. RR and thin flakes are also great.

So lay it on me - easy smoking VA/burs, not too strong, not too mild, nonaromatic and without much perique. Most importantly, with the VA and burley behaving together, not a VA with a touch of burley or a burley with just a hint of VA. Not looking for a Brown Flake Unscented or a Carter Hall :snork:

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Have you tried Escudo?

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

no....but I'm looking for VA/burley blends, not VA/perique blends. Isn't Escudo a VA/per, and if I'm not mistaken rather heavy on the perique?

4. Capt

Capt Active Member

Yes, Escudo is a VaPer.

5. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Stonehaven. (Shudders due to personal biases...)

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I am smoking some Mac B Golden Extra now. A very good VA\BUR.
    It's gotten some good reviews lately here in PSF too.
    I recommend it!

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

It's been on the to-smoke list for a while, but it's gone from the B&M and obviously gone from the etailers...if I come across some, I'll give it a go.

8. Capt

Capt Active Member

Have you tried P&C Sunza Bitches?

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nope! But I like the Steamroller pretty well and the Lakeland Brickles, and also Classic Burley Kake, so I trust Russ to put a blend together...

10. Mington

I have some Lakeland Brickle to try. Maybe tomorrow night.
    (The Lakeland essence thing concerns me. heh)

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I wanted to like the Lakeland Brickle but I just could not tolerate how it seemed to leave an almost oily feeling in my mouth that tasted like roses.:puke:

Mington likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to try the Golden Extra. I've been meaning to try a little more MacBaren - I really like the Club Blend and Navy Flake so far. Haven't had one I hated yet, as long as I smoke nice and slow. Even when I don't I haven't noticed anything of theirs I've tried being particularly prone to the biting people speak about...I think it might be anti-hype :puffy:

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like the Fortissimo well enough, and the regular isn't too bad. But I like really floral GH blends as well as Condor and St Bruno. Admittedly Lakeland Brickle IS different from those...but I don't think it's bad. Still, until GH goes through supply issues like SG has, I'm happy enough to pay a little extra for their tobacco.

14. Mington

I found that if you eat ice cream right after smoking Mac Baren's; you get tongue bite. heh

Seriously, I never got TB either and have smoked tons of Mac B.s
    Like you said, nice and slow. Easy does it.

Hawkwood likes this.
  15. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

How about Boswell's Magnum blend or McClelland Black Shag?

16. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

JackKnife Plug.

17. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Just about any MacB blend. Solid Virginia and Burley base tobaccos, condimental tobaccos applied with a conservative hand (less Vintage Syrian), and toppings kept to bare minimums. Just good and solid, straight forward blends.

Hawkwood likes this.
  18. delnotti

delnotti Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.