1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion For A Replacement: Dunhill Light Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Brian, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Member

I was ever so fortunate to find a tin of Dunhill Light Flake at a brick and mortar store near Atlanta. MAN! I love this tobacco. Problem is obvious -- I am very unlikely to find more of it. That, and I now only have 1 flake left :( Even if I could find more tins, it was a little too much on the pricey side.

Any suggestions for a replacement from you experienced Virginia connoisseurs? Another brand/blend that is easier to get a hold of?

The things I loved those most about it:

-The sweet smell in the tin, like a box of fresh fig newton cookies.
    -The very light, easy, naturally sweet taste.
    -It was not too strong in regards to Nicotine. I can't tolerate really strong tobaccos.

User5642 likes this.
  2. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

IN all honesty, and im just throwing this out there, Union Square and Aurora are good Virginias, USQ is a flake and the other is ribbon cut.

too me Aurora ( mcclleland) was sweeter than USQ ( gl pease ) but i prefer Union Square

3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Nope. I wish. Capstan (also unavailable in the USA) isn't bad but not an equal. Rattray's Brown Clunee is... good. It's not equal, but good and milder than Hal O' The Wynd or Old Gowrie. Iwan Reis has IRC Flake (they call it a Light Flake replacement - I never tried it) but it doesn't review like a DLF replacement. In a different ballpark but sort of the same idea - try Reiner Long Golden Flake (aka #71). It is sweet and slightly muted but your nose will say "perique."

4. Brian

Brian Member

I think the key characteristic I loved about DLF was the tin smell -- exactly like sweet figs and cookies (natural smell, not some perfume casing). It cooked up real nice like that too. This smell would seem key to finding something close.

Aurora sounds about right for its mild nicotine reviews. Does it have the McClelland ketchup smell in the tin? I don't mind that actually, but it seems like it would be more tangy than fig-like.

Old Gowrie might also be close, the way it reviews. Hal 'o Wynd sounds too strong (nicotine). Brown Clunee sounds too mild tasting.

The Reiner Golden Flake has perique. It sounds good, but I am still working through some Escudo and have some Anniversary Kake on order.

I may have to order some IRC Light Flake just to see. It kinda sounds similar, but like you guys mentioned, also not.

What about Orlik Golden Sliced? Is that anything similar?

I ordered a tin of SG Golden Glow (aka Medium Va Flake). Is that anything similar?

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Not having had light flake I can't compare, but for real figgy virginias, try Germain's. Their Brown Flake is a little more cigar than fig, but things like Uncle Tom's Smoking Mixture are pure fig in the tin.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's tough when a blend you love is gone . Bummer :blink: .. Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster is pretty light and very good . Maybe M.B. vir . flake. At least they're around and worth a try

7. ultramag

ultramag Member

Ding, Ding, Ding. That there is the winner to me and the one I was going to suggest. I think they are very similiar with the DLF being like OGS light in every respect. I've only had 2 or 3 bowls Union Square so I'm not as familiar with it, however it would be a not too distant second IIRC.

This is all very subjective IMO, so I wish you luck in your search. I'm down to one sleeve of DLF myself I think and will be sad to see it all gone. So far I can't bring myself to tear the plastic off that last 5 pack. :huh:

8. willzyx1980

willzyx1980 Member

I think the Reiner's Long Golden Flake was a good recommendation. It's not Dunhill's Light Flake--nothing is--but it has a similar enough profile that someone who loves Light Flake will probably love LGF too. I wouldn't compare it to Escudo. It's a va/per, but to me LGF and Escudo are in two different categories. I think another va/per in the LGF category would be Peter Stokkebye's Navy Flake.

Another tobacco that isn't Light Flake but that I love in the same way is Ashton's Gold Rush. It's not a flake, but it has the same golden virginia sweetness and naturally fresh fruity aroma. Just smoke it real slow or it will be flavorless and will probably bite as well.

9. Brian

Brian Member

Thanks for all the great recommendations. You guys are awesome. A forum like this is just pure gold when trying to figure these things out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.