1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

suggestions needed please!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Out of Town, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Allthough i puffed my first pipe over 40 years ago, i have almost exclusively been hand rolling Old Holbourn cigarettes..... i have had brief flings with a pipe but never quite got there.
    So last weekend saw me giving up cigs for the pipe..... for good.
    Since my local tobacconist closed i've been stuck with the poor selection in Supermarkets, however i've found one shop that still caters for pipe smokers in a small way.
    My usual baccy lately has been St Bruno ..... Mellow Virginia or if pushed Erinmore mix.
    I've just bought
    Pete's Irish Oak
    Pete's Sunset Breeze
    Players Navy Cut
    The only one so far that i liked was Mellow virginia.... well for the first i/4 to 1/2 a bowl after that it tastes awful.
    The others are ok, but just ok .... but nothing great.
    The trouble is i know i've a lot to learn smoking a pipe, caring for a pipe and educating my tastes..... but there is an awful lot of good sounding baccys out their and i don't even know what types i should try.
    In the shop they have a few more Petersons to try as well as few others whose makers i cant remember right now.
    The shop keeper did say they sold more Aro's than anything else... but i'm not sure i want to go though all them...
    I do remember seeing Sherlock holmes, Connisers choice, Punchbowle, Balkan mix and loads more i can't remember....
    Any idea of what i could try .... if not one of those names,a type would help.
    Many thanks
  2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

May 17, 2011
    Hi there Dave...Well some good ones to throw around non-aros would be Rattray Marlin flake- Sam Gawith Skiff Mixture - and many many others. I can't rec...any Aros, I've never smoked one I like (not from like of trying) Check out TobaccoReviews.com its webbsite that almost every tobacco in the world-reviewed...but take the reviews with a grain of salt or swig og Scotch.....youu can atleast read the descriptions of the tobacco and those are mostly spot on.. Good luck in your search.......
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Scary Cow Moderator Moderator

Jun 10, 2009

Marlin Flake, available and easy to get comfortable with. Here is a virginia flake that is dark, rich and not prone to bite.

Skiff. The softness of Cyprus latakia well braced by punchier (and somewhat cigarette-familiar) turkish tabaks.

Two winners for a gent not in the dark with how to fill/light a pipe.

Also fun: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/index.cfm
  4. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Welcome again! You can also look at our trade section. You will find some good tobacco being swapped. Another idea is this. Go to an e-tailer that offers a sample pack. Many do. Some you can even call and tell them what you have smoked, and what you have liked. Many of us New pipe smokers, myself included. We started out looking for the Aromatics. These smell great and there are some good ones out there. Then as you learn what you like, by trying, you find types and styles you like.

I am sure that we have some members on your side of the pond. I would be willing to bet these members could at least point you towards a good on line shop. As to your B&M that you have found? Tell him what you just told us. maybe he can also help. Pipe smoking took me a few weeks to months to try to even start to learn. How to smoke, how to pack the pipe, how to Slow Down! Good luck to you, Beale.
  5. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

Jul 28, 2011
    That was quick chaps!
    I know the shop sells some Rattrays and some sam gawith, i'll see if he's got those or if he can/will get them for me.
    What i'd like is to be happy with at least one as an everyday smoke , then join the elusive search for that 'special' blend .
    I don't doubt that once i learn to smoke the pipe properly , brands i have dissliked allready might suddenly appeal to me.
    It's fun really isn't it! .............in an expensive ..... bad taste in your mouth sort of way.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    It's really hard to accelerate the process and get to enjoying tobaccos at their fullest without a few years of experimenting.

I would certainly reach out and try the Balkan Mixture you have available - that will be a completely different sort of thing than the virginias and aromatics you are currently working on.

Like you Dave, I find many, many pipe tobaccos totally underwhelming (some on your list as well). I don't fight them or bother with finishing them. I put them away for a few months, and try them on a different day, and if they don't work .... then I move on!

Personal suggestions: Get a tin of Mac Baren Mixture (or Mixture Scottish Blend or Mixture Flake) and master smoking that - it's tasty, mild, and in a sense, offers the very best of how pipe smoking differs from cigs or cigars. It's subtle, it rewards slow smoking, and it tastes completely different than any other tobacco I've ever had.
  7. Burner

Burner Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Nice to see old Jack Hargreaves - Remember watching him as a boy.

I'd keep away from the non tinned tobaccos as most UK tobacconists just let them go dry and horrible as there isn't much demand and they don't know how to look after them.

I'd recommend Peterson's University Flake as a really splendid baccy. You'll have to deal with the flake - Best to run them out in your hands and treat like ready rubbed!

Dunhill London mixture is a sublime tobacco not strong and yet with bags of flavour.

PM me your address and I'll send you some various samples. :puffy:

Or send email to theflashingknobs at gmail dot com
    Mister Moo likes this.
  8. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far fellas, please keep them coming.

Very nice of you to offer Burner, thank you, i will be in touch soon.

I guess it would help if i knew exactly what flavour i am after.....
    The Navy cut has it, but not strong enough.....
    The Mellow Virginia has it, at the start anyway...
    St Bruno has it in there .... somewhere...
    So i'm thinking maybe Virginia is what i'm after ....?
    It's that sweet tobacco taste ... not added sweetners or flavours that i think i seek...
    I'll look round tomorrow and see what i can find.... and then come home with something totally different to what i want/need !
    Flake is ok with me so no probs there.... just finding a local shop that stocks a decent range is the real killer.

Trying again with Sunset breeze.... just dont get it ... all i can taste is over sweet Amerretto..... and the Irish Oak has no taste i can detect at all.... very dissapointing.

EEK! only one fill left of the Navy Cut.......

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi Dave!
    Congratulations on kicking the ciggies! I'm still on Old Holborn, not as much as I used to due to my pipe-smoking:)!
    It's a shame to see the old, real tobacconists vanish but you could try a few online-shops like www.uktobacco.com
    This one also does pipe repairs! He's done a brilliant job fixing one of my Peterson Sherlock Holmes pipes (Baker Street) where I broke the tenon of the mouth piece!
    As for tobaccos you might give the Dunhill range a try: My Mixture 965 has become a staple in my tobacco "diet".
    Also very nice are Dunhill Early Morning Pipe and their Flake!
    Have fun exploring!!!:bing:

10. Out of Town

Out of Town Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Well not alot of help in the shop today, the lad didn't know if they would get any different types in or not , will go back when the owner is there.
    I did pick up a pack pack of GH Balkan mixture, but as Burner has said, the pack might have been on the shelf for a long while as it is very dry..... however i have had a couple of bowlfulls but at the moment it doesn't do much for me though by smoking slowly and gently i am managing to detect some flavours , but they seem a little to subtle to my uneducated tastes.
    Had another go at Sunset Breeze and found it more pleasant but again very weak to me at present.
    The Irish Oak has been a big dissapointment, as any taste or flavour i detected at first has gone... a nothing smoke for me..... until i mixed it with some Erinmore Mixture i was given. Still not what i'm after but at least it's smokeable and pleasant enough to be getting on with.
    I have managed to slow down and control the rate of smoking a pipe now, and it's a vast improvement.... still early days and i know i've a long way to go... but for a novice ( all be it an old one) i'm happy at my progress.
    I might retry St Bruno and Mellow Virginia with my improved technique ... might even get daring and have another go at Condor flake! ....... at least until i get an order in to one of the E shops.

11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Peterson's are my favorite pipes. If you can, buy a couple to rotate. Be sure to get some bristle pipe cleans and regular cleaners, and clean them periodically. (Don't try to take the stem out of the shank when the pipe is hot as you might break it. You need to break in a briar pipe by slowly building up a cake, so first start at half a pipe then slowly build it up. Petes take a little longer than other pipes to break in, but once you get it done they are great pipes.

I don't recommend aromatics right at first. They do smell nice, but they often goopy messes that turn many people off from pipe smoking. I recommend basic Burley or Virginia blends, since they tend to have a purer tobacco flavor and are not all goopy thus allowing the new pipe smoker to get a true appreciation for the two basic pipe tobaccos (Burley and Virginia). Once you get those down, then move on to the aros and/or blends that contain condimentals like Orientals, Latakia, or Perique.

I think that American Burley or Virginia/Burley blends like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh, or Granger are great beginner tobies - and many experienced smokers love them as well. Peter Stokkebye and Mac Baren, especially Mac Baren make very good blends as well. Stokkebye blends are great beginner blends, and they are enjoyed by experienced smokers as well. MacB (or Mac Baren) are fantastic tobies, but they require a very slow smoking cadence or they will bite the dickens out of your tongue - a quality that has turned many a new pipe smoker against them. However, when sipped (or slowly smoked) they are magnificent.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.