1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions please.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jimmy Bukowski, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Bukowski

Jimmy Bukowski Active Member

So I really don't understand the different types of tobacco yet. I am trying......just a bit slow. I have had the Lane 1 q and thought it was ok. Next I went for CAO's Bella Vanilla. It was kinda eh for me. However the Bella was much easier to keep going. What is something that might burn like the bella, but taste better? All opinions would be great. And can anybody tell me what kind of tobaccos these are. Thanks!

2. woody

woody Aloha! Admin

Mac Baren Vanilla Cream?

beammeuptothesky likes this.
  3. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Both the tobaccos you have named are what we would consider "Aromatic" pipe tobaccos.

I haven't really been on an Aromatic kick for a while, but many folks here really like Mac Baren, Vanilla Cream for a Vanilla Aro. It also comes in a "flake" form which means the tobacco is pressed and sliced into neat little slices called "flakes" that one can either rub-out or process according to ones own personal tastes and preferences. There are lots of things to learn in the world of pipe tobacco -- just take your time and enjoy!

Hope this helps!

~Aaron

4. beammeuptothesky

beammeuptothesky Member

Whoops! Woody beat me to the chase on that one! :beck:

~Aaron

5. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Hey Jimmy.....welcome to the fold.

It is very common for most pipe smokers to start out with the aromatic tobaccos (the ones that smell like cherry, vanilla, etc). Congrats on picking a non-bulk one from your tobacconist.

As Woddy stated above one of the better ones out there is Vanilla Cream. There is also a couple from Stanwell that I really like Vanilla and Melange:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/stanwell/index.cfm

Melange is my favorite out of these two and these are probably the only two aromatics that I smoke now. If you are a new pipe smoker then there is a whole world of pipe tobaccos out there. I would suggest that you hang out here and read some of the pipe tobacco posts and then start trying some on your own. Here is a great resource for pipe tobacco reviews:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/browse_all.cfm

beammeuptothesky and Arkie like this.
  6. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

+1 on the Melange. I've got a tin of McB's Vanilla Cream but I haven't opened it yet. I've read many good reviews of it and I'm anxious to try it.

7. Jimmy Bukowski

Man you guys don't mess around! Thanks for the quick responses. I really want to try a non aromatic. I think that will probably be my next purchase. Heck I may grab the vanilla cream too. I can't get over how relaxing a smoke in the evening time is. Seven years dealing with autoimmune issues and I've finally found something that eases my mind.Bout dang time!

Coastal Bend likes this.
  8. Capt

Capt Active Member

For a non-aromatic crossover, try PS Luxury Twist Flake, then try Bullseye flake from PS.

beammeuptothesky likes this.
  9. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You might consider spending a little time with the likes of Carter Hall or Prince Albert, you may have noticed the high regard in which they are held by many here. They seem easily available that side of the water - I often start the day with a bowl of CH, and find it good for mixing with other things. I have to use it carefully as unfortunately it is not on sale over here. :)
    OT

10. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I also recommend Macbaren Vanilla Cream Flake. Its good loose too but I think the flake is better. Dry it out a bit and smoke it slow or it can be bitey.

11. Jimmy Bukowski

I will have to try all these suggestions out. Just enjoyed a smoke out of the pipe Mike sent me :)

12. Steve IoM

Steve IoM Member

I'm currently working on 3 tins of Ashton tobacco; Rainy Day, Guilty Pleasure and Smooth Sailing. All are very pleasant and are worth a try. My favourite of the three is probably the Smooth Sailing as it's less fruity than the others, but I'd still happily enjoy a bowl of any of them.

13. Jimmy Bukowski

Arkie trade a bit of C.H. to me. I am 100% into it. Had some on the way to work today, gonna have a bit more before I call it a day.I am kinda shocked to see that it is one of the best I've had, as well as being priced low. MikeinMaine was also looking out for me.He sent a couple samples that I am really excited to try.

Old Ted likes this.
  14. Fbones24

Fbones24 Member

15. Jimmy Bukowski

That was perfect.Thanks fella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.