Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by powell0892, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Hey guys I need some help, I am trying to find some more baccys to enjoy. I have tried most of the OTC's at this point and even some Boswell aromatics, I try and stick with something that has somewhat of a decent roomnote for the wife, but as you all know most of the aromatic OTC have little flavor and tend to be very goopy, so recently I have started a journey to try and find light aro's/non-aromatic hopefully to get more flavor yet still please the wife, however when I start to look I get very overwhelmed with the variety as I am still fairly new to the pipe world. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

2. cmw00

cmw00 Member

I enjoy both Dan's Blue Note and Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream. They both offer good flavorings, the tobacco flavor still comes through, and they have extremely pleasant room notes!

I just got a tin of Mac Baren's Mixture. It has a fantastic flavor and smell also, but I haven't smoked as much of it yet.

3. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Thanks charlie have you or anyone else tried Dans sweet honeydew?

4. pottsy

pottsy Member

You have been around here long enough, have you signed up for the FNG/FOG trade? I did a few months ago, and it opened my eyes to a wide variety of baccy's that I probably never would have tried otherwise. You sound like a prime candidate for it.

As for your question though, you are probably just going to have to try a few and see how it goes. I have smoked some that my girl didn't want to be anywhere near, and especially not down wind of. Others, that I thought she wouldn't care for, she liked the smell of, so it's really hit and miss.

Some I would recommend:

Presbyterian
    Peterson Sweet Killarney

5. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

Maybe you could try Peter Stokebbye's Luxury Twist Flake. I got a sample of it and really enjoyed it. It will be in my next TAD order.

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Give Tobacco Trader a yell...they have a blend called Savannah...it's a mildly aromatic Va/Per...in other words, real tobacco with a pleasant room note. My wife hates pipe tobacco, but she approves of this one (and only this one...<sigh>). Best of all, one phone call to the store snags you a free sample (an ounce or so). A quick internet search should get you the phone #.

7. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Thanks YinYang that sounds like just the thing I have been looking for...I also like the sound of Blue Note.

8. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Just saw some Sillem black on smokingpipes has anyone had any experience with it? sounds interesting

Any of the Sillem color line actually?

9. erickghint

erickghint Member

Chuck, you have literally said what I came here to say, sir. It seems I have nothing left to write here other than the obligatory OGS suggestion. Oh, Powell, if you'd like a sample of the tobys that CCC has recommended, let me know and I can send you some.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

McClellends #2000 fragrant matured Cake ... comes in bulk . Virginia tobac . The description via TR .......... This is a really distinctive tobacco that will enable you to satisfy and upgrade many aromatic smokers who have been sacraficing cleaness of burning to obtain a sweet aroma .... I had this in my shop for years . It's a high quality vir base w/ light aro and tobacco flavor that you and the wife will enjoy the aroma of . Smokes cold . You'll thank me :yes:

11. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Man I say go with Frog Morton and Frog Morton on The Town, as my wife agrees these arent " terrible " smelling and they are great as a light english and light oriental blend.

Also ive had people say it smells like a campfire and others say they love the smokiness of Boswells Northwoods.

Its kinda a strong aro english in that its not really an aromatic but its on the sweet side of being a full english. A lot going on there but how its roomnote is is questionable at best.

But the wife seems to enjoy my oriental baccys and when I ask her if she midns them she says, eh they arent bad, which is good coming from here as she has never smoked or done anything like this in her life.

About the only she hates are VaPers and FUll English blends or ANYTHING WITH CIGAR LEAF

12. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Ruffin- Thanks for the suggestion I will have to try it but at 5.39 an ounce I hope it is very good.

Grim- Thanks for the input I have tried Northwoods before and it was a bit on the strong side for the wife.

Someone locally mentioned Dunhill Royal Yacht any input on that?

13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I tried a sample of Dan Tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and liked it pretty well. After smoking a couple more bowls, it has moved up to one of my favorites. It has a nice tobacco flavor, just a little dash of vanilla and a nice room note. I ordered in bulk a couple of months ago and smoke it regularly in a dedicated pipe.

I also bought a couple of tins of Sillem's Black. It is a fairly strong tobacco, and I would say you may or may not like it. I had a hard time with the unusual taste the first time I smoked a bowl. I've smoked a couple since and really enjoy it now. It definitely took some getting used to. I'd say the room note is tolerable on Black, whereas the SHV is pleasant.

Lane 1Q sold under various names at local B&Ms is the most popular aromatic in the U.S. I bought a pound of it because I like it so much. The room note is good enough that my wife actually takes a few hits when I smoke it.

14. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Thanks Bradntx after hearing that I think what I will do is order some honeydew and go pick up some lane 1q, I also want to get on the next box pass, and try some Hormbuger Veermaster eventually.

15. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

You are punching all my buttons today. :eek:hyeah:

Hamborger Veermaster is one of my favorites. I smoke it regularly and have a nice little stack of tins cellared. Let us know what you think of your knew purchases when you get a chance to smoke them.

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

If you do a search on "sillem" on the forum, you'll find quite a lot of comments...

17. sorringowl

sorringowl Purveyor of PAAD

Hey Powell,
    Yinyang's suggestion for Tobacco Trader is a great one. They have a lot of nice in house blends (I happen to live pretty close to them--which makes me very happy :groucho: .) I have not tried the Savannah but I have tried some of their other blends which you might want to give a try:

1. Golden Virginia: this is just what it sounds like, a straight, golden virginia. This is, from what I can tell a non-aromatic but it has a pleasant room note, a little nutty and sweet.

2. Gulf Stream: This is an aro with hints of cocoa, fruit and coffee. Very good. Very nice Room Note.

3. Compass Rose: One of the most interesting tobaccos I've ever tried. This one has the room note of well, roses! Maybe roses is too strong a description. It actually has a very mild scent of rose water. That may sound weird, but it's one of the best tobaccos I've tried.

All of TT's aro house blends I've tried so far are firstly, made from high quality Virginias (as their base) and are not heavily cased. The flavors and room note on these are all subtle, but they do (for me) translate into the taste of the smoke as well. They are not overly moist (so they don't goop up your pipe) and the quality of the smoke itself is nice and buoyant; nice, thick white smoke. I really think that not only will your wife like these but you will really like these yourself.

Just one more: Sutliff's Maple Street is, to date, my girlfriend's favorite, when it comes to room note. It has the same qualities as the above tobacs and she always says it reminds her of maple syrup. This is a nice smoke as well; no goopiness, smokes cool and BIG puffs of white smoke. I love this blend, need to get some more. Just so you know, the maple syrup note doesn't really translate to the taste, it's more of a nutty, natural Virginia taste, very subtle as well.

18. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

P&C has it a little cheaper . Sometimes you gotta shell it out man . If I had any around I'd shoot you a sample . Send me a PM and I'll send you a list of what I got ... maybe we can square you away with something that you'll freak out over

19. powell0892

powell0892 Member

Ruffin: I feel bad taking baccy from so many people lol

How do I get in on a box pass?

20. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Free ounce? <perk>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.