Suicide Blends... am I the Only One?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by theSEAMAS, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theSEAMAS

theSEAMAS Member

I have recently started taking any tobacco left over after packing a bowl and, instead of putting it back in the jar, putting it in a baggie. So far I have managed to have a decent mix of Boswell's (Apple Strudel, Berries and Cream), Peterson Luxury Blend, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, Autumn Evening, McClelland Tastemaster and Magnum Opus in the bag as well as a good bit of my Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish (added in for some balance).

I gotta say... It's actually pretty good and I think I might keep doing this. Each tobacco brings itself out in its own way while smoking it and kind of just brings back memories of when I last smoked that certain tobacco. One minute I'll be enjoying a nice berry flavor/aroma and the next, a subtle hint of smokey flavor from the Magnum Opus will come in and blend with the slight orange taste of the Luxury Blend... and for desert, Tastemaster offers a lovely mocha flavor and aroma of a coffee house.

Maybe I'm just weird, but are there any other pipers out there who do something like this?

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I have kept a couple of "leavings" jars running for years. All my tin/jar dregs go in there...one jar for aromatics, and the other for Va's and English blends. I now have about 2 pounds............

Rewster66 and Lestrade like this.
  3. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

You've got the right idea, SEAMAS. Mama always told me it's a sin to waste. Try to stay away from anything that might go nuclear.

Ol Brokedik.

4. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

I have an aromatic leftover tin that is nothing short of stellar! I have another tin of lat type blends that is nothing short of feces. I really wish i kept track of what I put in the aro tin, so that I could perhaps duplicate it. That is dismal. The lat blend tin, I wish I knew exactly what lat blend I tossed in it to absolutely ruin it! Interestingly enough....it has some HH vintage syrian, some penzance, and the leftovers from bankers. All really good toby imho, but mixed..........yuck......

shadow likes this.
  5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi everyone!
    Mixing leftovers can bring some nice -and sometimes horrible- surprises.
    I've mentioned this in another thread already but sometimes I even mix different tobies in the same bowl.
    Smokey: I see you mixed your Lats and it yucked.... could it be the leftovers from The Bankers? I had a tin of that a while ago....wish I'd never bought it!!!
    The worst tobacco I ever had! And like you I thought I'd mix it with other stuff, just to get rid of it.... with the result that it ruined the whole blend!:mad:
    In the end I just chucked The Bankers away..... best thing I ever did!:hbang:

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It adds up fast!

7. Capt

Capt Active Member

I just always put the leftover tobacco in the tin it came out of. If for some reason I have leftovers in a tin that will not make up a full bowl, I will add a similar tobacco to make up a full bowl.

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

One of the B&Ms in town has a blend like that that they call Scraps. Bits and pieces of all their house blends in one blend. It can be pretty good. I don't smoke it with any regularity, though.

9. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Any empty tub of SUGAR BARREL serves as my collection jar. What falls out or that little bit of left over goes in the tub. Haven't tried any of it yet cuz there isn't too much in it. But in a few months.....

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

The one jar of mine is right around 3 yrs old...pretty good stuff too.

11. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I have an all "Lakeland" Jar almost full.....:puffy:

12. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I do this as well. I have about a pound of
    "leftovers" as well. Which is to say, I'm a
    messy pipe packer!

Smoking Gun likes this.
  13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

lame connection = double post. :mad:

14. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

OK, you talked me into it, I will take it. Please PM me for my address and please send it priority mail.:whis:

theSEAMAS likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Member

Nah, I take the bits that spill onto the table and the dish I use to fill a bowl and scrape it all together and toss it into a cob and light it. Maybe someday I'll have a spare jar to save it in...until then, just smoke it up.

16. zirrow

zirrow Member

I have a jar I use for this as well. Though keeping the aro's separate is probably a good idea. I tried some Sunset Breeze and threw a very small amount of overflow in there and now the whole thing smells like amaretto. I'm hoping that after a few more ounces of regular stuff it will fade away a bit better. Or I can put it into a Mason jar and just let it age to provide a funky sweet/spicy/smoky parade in my pipe :hp2:

17. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

I've been throwing together a blend for awhile and it contains..... Black xx, 1792, Penzance, Savinelli english mixture, Tambolaka, Five bros., Irish flake, British woods, Carter hall, Some cigarette tobacco. It doesn't smoke all that bad either and I can catch hints of almost everything. Anytime I get something I think would work with it I put a little in to keep it going.

18. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't dump my leavings in a jar to build up, but I do save leavings. I usually take something similar and combine them. Like, when I got down to the bottom of C&D Burley Flake #2, I took the 1/3 bowl left over and mixed it with Carter Hall.

I currently have about 1/2 a bowl of SG FVF I'm saving to combine with some 1792. Puff gave that idea, I just haven't gotten around to going for it yet.

19. Elwin

Elwin Member

I don't do this, but it's for a crazy reason.
    I'm scared to death that I'll somehow come up with that 'perfect' blend, and then I'll never be able to recreate it again...
    :)

Preacher1611 likes this.
  20. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I've never tried this but I have a nice jar I was thinking of using for bacca so I think I'll try this. Thanks for the idea SEAMAS! I tend to smoke very similar tobacs so I think this might make some good mixes! :puffy:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.