Superstitions...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coda, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

There are a few "superstitions" I have with pipe smoking:

-When I use matches, I will only light three at one go. If the bowl isnt sufficiently lit after three matches, I hit the lighter.

-I have a Dr Grabow Grand Duke that was my great-grandfathers.On the stem, there are some scratches that match up to scratches on the shank. The thing is, the way they line up, the spade is on the right side of the pipe...so its upside down.

-After I finish a bowl, I lightly scrape out any unburnt tobacco or dottle from the bowl with my czech tool, and then I turn the bowl facing the ground, and blow through the stem a few times.

I dont feel that if I dont do these things, something bad will happen...so maybe superstition is the wrong word to use. But I have a feeling other people have similar things they always tend to do...

2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I am totally with you on the three match light. I usually get the char with two and the final light with one. If no, then lighter. Go fig.

3. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Maybe your great grandfather smoked the pipe with the stem upside down, I have seen it done.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

He did. And I see no reason to change that. It has become part of the character of the pipe...

5. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I burn tobacco in a pipe to chase the demons of the day away.

6. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm not prone to such compulsions or beliefs but like SmokeyJoe the pipe helps me brush off my personal demons.

saintchris and Bman64 like this.
  7. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Perhaps the word 'superstitions' isn't the best descriptive in this case.... your describing more of your ritual or tendencies as it related to how you handle your experience. I would think -here comes my minor in psychology rearing it's ugly head- I would imagine doing certain things the same way (as it pertains to piping) feeds into ensuring as close to the same experience for each bowl smoked. Weeds out variable that way.
    I use a single pipe cleaner during and after each bowl in the same manner, and I'd be lost without it.

Coda likes this.
  8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

...after I smoke a bowl, I clean my pipe furiously as if I've been indicted for murder.

9. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

After scraping out any dottle I flip the pipe over and blow through it really hard to dislodge any remaining tobacco. My tobacco rotation has a heavy amount of aromatics, with the rest being a smattering of Flakes, Balkans, and Prince Albert, so I find this helps dislodge any extra "goopy aromatic" leftovers in the heel.

It also really bugs me if I don't swab out the inside of the bowl with a bent clean pipe cleaner if it appears wet, I must complete this action before racking the pipe in question, or there shall be dire ramifications. (like a funky sour pipe!) :eek:

Last but not least, I give every pouch or tin the sniff test every single time I open it even if I am already well aquainted with it's paticular odor, not only because I like the tin pouch note, but to decide if I really want to smoke it right now or not. :confused:

(My better half says I'm like a dog, that I have to smell everything first, but to me it seems like a natural move, the smell test has never failed me, either in smoking or any other miscellaneous shenanigans. :whis: )

AK Kilted Guy and OldSouled65 like this.
  10. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I would agree with Bman. More of a ritual than a superstition.
    Superstition would be like cleaning your pipes with only the
    holiest of Everclears, and once you're done cleaning a pipe, you
    threw it over your left shoulder.

11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Like I said in the OP, Superstition was not the right word...

12. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

For me the ritualistic nature of pipe smoking is one it's attractions. I'm admittedly a creature of habit and find comfort in keeping things the same.

Coda likes this.
  13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

It has been said that the "ritual" of pipe smoking is what separates pipers from other smokers. No matter how you break it down there is the loading, lighting and tamping -- and re-lighting -- that one doesn't have with other smokes. Of course, we all add our own little -- um -- quirks. I was thinking "Who? Me?" then I looked at my desk and I have three groups of (active) pipes and within each group of pipes I find myself smoking from left to right. It's not like driving around the block because a black cat ran across the street, or refusing to check out in line 13 at the supermart, but a matter of rotation. But a case could be made that it is a part of my "ritual." :sh:

14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

In HBO's "The Pacific", Eugene Sledge takes up pipe smoking. Upon returning home, his friend, fellow Marine veteran Sid Phillips asks, "Whats with the MacArthur bit?", referring to the pipe. Sledge replies with something along the lines of "it keeps me busy. There is always something to do...packing it, lighting it, smoking it, cleaning it"...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I think cleaning pipes brings bad juju. I never do it.

16. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

- and had the exhorcism ritual - after smoking some of that nasty Condor! :msty:

Snake likes this.
  17. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Do you dump the dottle in acid so it can't be used as evidence?

18. highstump

highstump Active Member

You do realize that you have killed any chance of ever working out a trade with anyone here...ever...or longer even. :shead:

Like StoneGiant, I never put a pipe away without swabing it out with a cleaner.

jpberg likes this.
  19. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Neat freak.

20. highstump

highstump Active Member

Dust bunnies not withstanding of course.

jpberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.