Supporting the local tobacconist!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Luke, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke

Luke Member

After a bit of exploring, I found a tobacconist about 8 minutes (walking) from my apartment! I felt like a kid in a candy shop. This was my first time ever being in a "real" tobacconist shop. So many fun smells and such.. Anyways, I got to thinking. Most of the tobacco that I've smoked the last 3 years has been ordered from online or from the super-market. Do many of you guys support your local tobacconist? In this technological era are they a dying breed?

Got a few ounces of some really nice tobaccos, super excited to have a smoke once the sun goes down and its a bit cooler :D

Mount Mandolin and dwaugh like this.
  2. Hugepom

Hugepom Member

I wish I could support mine more. Unfortunately, the state of NY is doing everything in its power to put these shops out of business. Our 75% state tobacco tax is making it nearly impossible to patronize the small B&M's. I enjoy one of my local shop's house blends so much that I will continue to buy from them until the day they're forced out, but I fear that may be sooner than later...

3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I'll be glad to support mine just as soon as they start carrying pipes and pipe tobacco.

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

My local places are all smoke shops on the Akwesasne Reservation. One place had a big "Pipes & Tobacco" sign outside - they do carry OTCs and MM pipes, other than that, they don't have much.
    Hugepom is right about NYS, the big boys, Park Lane, Cupojoes and P&C make their money selling tax free out of state, we'd go broke trying to get all of our tobacco from them.
    A tin that costs me 9 bucks from 4noggins would cost me around 20 bucks from P&C. I'm no sharpie, but I can do that math.

Johnny Dingo and SouthBound like this.
  5. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

There is one pipe shop here in town but I don't patronize them anymore. I was in there years ago and the two guys behind the counter were making fun of me for smoking a Dr. Grabow. Like I wasn't good enough to be in their store. That will be quite enough of that.

I do frequent a local smoke shop though. I get most of my accessories there but they don't carry too many pipe tobaccos. I'm going there today on my lunch break as a matter of fact. Gotta get some more pipe cleaners and some fluid for my Old Boy lighter.

6. MikeInMaine

MikeInMaine Well-Known Member

I have one of those cigarette outlet stores nearby. They let me order pipe tobacco out of their catalog. Cheap and no shipping!

7. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I buy from my local shop fairly often but online retail + shipping is generally cheaper.

8. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I like to closely look at a pipe before I buy it so I prefer purchasing them at a local B & M. My local B & M also has some good bulk blends at reasonable prices so I give them a lot of my business. There are also some discount tobacco shops around here but they sell only cigarettes, cheap cigars, OTCs and some really awful pipes.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats great news , Luke ! Having a real smoke shop near by almost guarantees Camaraderie :th1: I have a small RYO type place but they carry OTC , cobs , grabows and some stuff . It aint the " real deal " but it's ok .

10. PatDreadful

PatDreadful Member

I have two B&M stores, each about 15 miles in either direction. One is run by a grumpy old guy who almost seems irritated that he carries pipe tobacco but he prices his tins of McClelland very low. I tend to avoid his store due to his horrible attitude. The other is a more upscale shop that has a full coffee bar and a nice lounge. They are pricier ($22 for 100g tin of Frog Morton/$14 for a tin of Dunhill/$11 for a tin of Escudo) but I try to visit him every Friday. In fact, after commenting how much I loved Frog Morton on the Bayou he purchased about 10 tins to ensure that I never run out. Sure, I could order online (and I do quite a bit) but it is nice to walk into a store and feel welcomed. I love that they know me by name and I can sit in the lounge with a book, a cup of coffee and puff away. That, my friends, is something you can’t put a price tag on.

11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

I have one B&M close to hone. Their pipe/tobacco selection is small, and after being treated poorly there twice now I won't go again. We have a few others a bit more of a drive for me (25-30 min) that are all fantastic and have been very good to me. I don't shop often (our taxes rival New York), but I try to support them periodically - I have a pipe on layaway at one.

12. Bump

Bump Member

For tinned tobacco I order on-line, but my local B&M has been around since 1883, so obviously they have a good thing going. To say I love going there is a major understatement. It is bitter sweet sometimes because you used to be able to smoke in there. They have this kind of loft section where back in the day you could buy something, head up the stairs, and enjoy a smoke and a game of chess/checkers what ever with whom ever might be up there. The good thing is they have wooden walls and it still smells glorious when you walk up there. That being said, their pipe selection is expensive and limited. They have a basket of briars that ranges from $39.99 to $49.99, but every thing else is $120 and up. Because of their range of bulk, they do not sell tinned tobacco. At least not for pipe, just sheesha. The place is ridiculously old school but the staff is young and exceptionally knowledgeable. A pure joy going there really.

13. Luke

Luke Member

I priced a few pipes and I think I'll only be buying tobacco from the place. They had my exact same pipe, a bend ascot, for 60$, I got mine for 30ish online. They had a pretty good selection though, I saw a Bjarne pipe that I really wanted to pick up.

14. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Like everyone else in NY, I get my stuff from out-of-state websites. I buy my hardware (pipe cleaners, czech tools, etc.) locally. Might even buy a pipe from them eventually, but they make a decent coin selling cigars. They're not going anywhere.

15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I just want to reiterate something I've said many times: The Briary here in Birmingham, AL is one helluva great place. They know me by name (and several nicknames), and Skip is a tremendous wealth of knowledge on all things briar. Best place I know of to buy a pipe. Skip will stand there and tell you about every pipe in the shop if you've got the time and the inclination. And that's a lot of pipes!

While their pipe knowledge is my favorite part about that place, they also have a great selection of tins, as well as carrying all the Stokkebye, Lane, and now Newminster bulk stuff.

Just wanted to say that. If you're ever in Birmingham, make time to visit The Briary. I believe BradNTX can confirm all this.

16. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Probably have about 2lbs of tobacco from local b&ms that I've just
    Picked up to try different blends. But none of it has been too impressive. I order the majority of my stuff online now.

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I get what I can at my local, and order online everything else. My local shop has a decent selection...or rather, more decent than some places. The place makes most of its money selling high end cigars, but they have a good selection of bulk tobaccos. Most of them are aromatics, but they do have a number of non-aro blends. They also have a decent selection of pipes, as well as the obligatory MM boards. Not too many tins, but some decent ones (a lot of McClelland, Mac Baren, Rattays tins)...They also have a good selection of OTC's. I was at my local today. I got a pouch of Carter Hall, a pouch of SWRA, and 2 oz. of C&D Virginia Ribbon, and some pipe cleaners. $18 total. The Virginia Ribbon is a bit dry, so I have it hydrating at the moment. I cant get too mad over this though...they dont sell a lot of non-aro stuff, so sometimes it is a bit dry...not a big deal having to rehydrate it though.

18. Bob K

Bob K Member

Whenever I go downtown, I stop into Iwan Ries, an absolutely great shop. I get most of my tobacco from C&D, but for pipes and other hardware (cleaners, tools, lighter fluid) these folks are the best.

You're ever in Chicago, you must go there.

ruffinogold and Ted Vig like this.
  19. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I second the motion, I never miss a trip to Iwan Ries when I'm in the Windy city!

20. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

I occasionally run into my local to buy cleaners or some bulk tobacco...but the prices are nuts.

They carry the PS flakes which are reasonably priced...until tax...and all of their non aromatic stuff has a sweet hint to it. They do their own blending so I could get my own blend made up...with a recipe....but I am still learning what I like...and they don't carry a Dark Flake style in bulk....but then the taxes bite you in the butt.

They want 25 bucks for a tin of Samuel Gawith tobacco...not including the tax. (35 for black XX).

If i am going to pay a lot for tobacco...I'm getting some Condor online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.