1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Supporting the local tobacconist!

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Luke, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

I get to IRC a few times a year. But I get to my small shop, and host to our pipe club at least once a week. I've built a large cellar over the past 20 years of small 4 oz weekly purchases. The prices are high but it's the price you pay to have a place to hang out. :confused:

2. Luke

Luke Member

I've spent time in Chicago, I will check the place out next time in around :)

3. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I buy from local B&M's mostly because I am impatient and don't want to wait for shipping.

Unfortunately I find that the people working at the stores that I frequent are not the friendliest. I may start doing more of my ordering online in the near future.

I keep looking at those $47 50G tins of Dunhill Flake and shaking my head. I wonder if they ask themselves why nobody buys them.

4. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

The only things I buy online are estate pipes from the bay. The rest is from my B&M. I have one pretty close, pass it on my way to and from school 5 days of the week, and they have a pretty good selection of tobys and even pipes.

Then I have one 40 mins away from me by turnpike, which is simply amazing. Every square foot is filled with pipes, pipe paraphanalia, toby, cigars, and cigar paraphanalia. They have an impressive selection of pipes, cigars, bulk toby, and a normal selection of tinned toby. Though you can obviously see some of the tins are years old.

Needless to say, I'll easily drop $100 there in a visit (compared to one tin at a time at the other B&M).

5. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

there is one shop in town--actually a cigar emporium, but they do have some tobacco (McC and Lane)-- savinelli, peterson, and one local carver are represented to supply briar--

i want to buy from him, and do on occasion, but usually just to sample blend i haven't tried before, one or two tins at a time--

he asked if he could order bulk for me, but it wouldn't work--what i pay for OJK online would almost, repeat almost pay the tax on what he would order for me--i can't stand $60 a pound for any tobacco--(that figure is ballpark, not set in stone)--

the local carver has some nice pipes there, but i'm really not in the market for new artisan pipes; wish i were--

6. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

It's a GREAT Store!

7. ShilohHollow

ShilohHollow Anchors Aweigh

I try to stop by my local shop at least once every two weeks. I also have a rule that I make myself buy something, however small, every time I visit. One time it might be a tin, the next it might be some pipe cleaners or Zippo fluid. By doing so I do my own little part in keeping the place open, but I also have built a relationship over the last 10 or so years and frequently get 10-15% off on pipes and such just for being a regular. I will say that his prices are about the same as online places one you add shipping to their cost, so that does help.

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

It's a great shop !!! Do you smoke any of their blends ?

9. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

47 a tin!!! That's insanity. I pay 14 for mine and I think that's pricey. I have three B&M's that I go to with 30min drive. Rarely do I shop online for tobacco. Luckily for me that all carry what I like.

10. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

sure we're talking about pipe tobacco?:p:

I choose not to support my local B&M, they will not allow members that are under the age of 25. Honestly, it's insulting...won't even buy pipe cleaners from them, I go online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.