1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Suppose you change tobacco?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by smokinjoe, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Apr 24, 2012
    I clean it my pipe real good, But are you supposed to change to a different pipe each time you change a flavor?? This might be a stupid question. But I dont know the answer.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks fellers..

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Jun 5, 2010
    Many of us here have very many different tobacco's in our "cellars". It's very difficult to keep one pipe for every tobacco you smoke. I would say to start off with you should have a couple of pipes to switch off to just to let them dry out and "rest". Maybe a couple of corn cobs to start with as they are inexpensive and smoke very well. As you go forward you might want to dedicate a pipe for some different styles such as Aromatic's or Englishes and some more cleaner tasting tobacco's such as Burley's and Virginia's. But to start with I would say keep it to a minimum until you find out what you really like. There will be a time that you will get struck with PAD & TAD and will start buying way too much tobacco and way too many pipes! Lol!
    Sit back and enjoy!

3. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Nov 12, 2010
    You can if you want. If you don't want to, don't.

There is no hard, fast rule about this. The only reason to do so is to avoid cross flavouring from one blend to another.
    smokinjoe likes this.
  4. Brian

Brian Member

Oct 26, 2009
    I have maybe 8 pipes total, none of them expensive. I dedicate each of my pipes to a broad class of tobacco. Each person will do this different for their tastes and budget, but here is what I have:

1. A pipe only for plain OTC Burleys (Carter Hall, Prince Albert, etc.)
    2. A pipe or two for plain Virginia's (McC 5100 Red Cake, IRC Light Flake, etc.)
    3. A pipe for mild and/or danish burley blends (like McBaren Mix Modern, Orlik Golden Sliced, Etc.)
    4. A pipe for perique blends (Escudo, Anniversary Cake, etc.)
    5. A pipe for latakia blends (Nightcap, Squadron Leader, Black Mallory, etc.)
    6. A pipe for aromatics (1Q, RLP-6, Blue Note, etc.)

To me, this sort of groups tobaccos into similar or at least complimentary flavors. If there's ghosting from one blend in the pipe to another, it's at least in the same family of taste.
    Stonewall likes this.
  5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Some purists dedicate a pipe to a certain blend. I used to do that but it got to be too much hassle for me. Most of the blends that ghost a pipe taste awful so I avoid them anyway.
  6. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I only have one pipe dedicated, to Latakia blends, the rest of my pipes I smoke whatever in. It's all a matter of personal preference.
  7. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    You could also smoke a "neutral" baccy like a Prince Albert if you notice off flavors switching up different tobaccos. I find the Latakia blends and those with Perique in the blend tend to leave a note.
  8. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    And if you foul one up bad, there's always the Salt and Whiskey treatment.
    Stonewall likes this.
  9. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Mar 16, 2012
    I have 4 briars. One for Dark Flake, one for latakia and two for other Virginia flakes.

One Cob for aromatics and two for burley.

That is almost enough for me.....maybe one more for Latakia and one more for Dark Flake.

Then I am done.

For now. ;-)
  10. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't do a lot of Aromatics but I do some MacBaren blends, some PA, some Va's and some Lat blends. I only really differentiate when it comes to latakia. I have a couple pipes that I use for those blends otherwise I don't worry about it that much.
  11. SteveH

SteveH Active Member

Apr 10, 2012
    It's not a stupid question, but my answer (only mine) is no. Some people dedicate particular pipes to particular tobacco types, or even to an individual brand, and there may well be something to be said for the practice, but I smoke anything in anything.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Like Brian said, I dedicate pipes to certain types of tobaccos. Some exclusively to a particular blend. "Ghosting" can be an issue with certain blends (Lakeland blends for instance).

So if you're planning to try an array of tobaccos, it might be wise to purchase a few pipes so your experience is as pure as possible. Even though I have a lot of pipes, I tend to stick to a few I really like regarding smokability. I found early on when experimenting with various tobaccos, I couldn't get an accurate interpretation of a blend due to cross-flavouring from other tobaccos; even though I clean my pipe religiously, and immediately after use.

As Paul (FlatbushPaul) was saying, get a few cobs. Or inexpensive basket pipes from a smoke shop in order to experiment with different blends. Unless you have one specific tobacco you smoke exclusively. If that's the case, a couple of pipes is all you need.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I try to use certain pipes for certain types of blends as most folks do. Sometimes it can be fun to play with ghosts. Load up a Virginia/oriental blend in a latakia pipe for example. Or a straight Virginia in a lakeland pipe. Sometimes you can get some interesting and enjoyable results. A little change of pace.
    Rodfather and Ted Vig like this.
  14. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Jul 21, 2011
    I just grab the pipe that grabs my fancy at that moment and grab some tobacco and smoke em. No dedicated here. I do prefer OTC's in a cob though, especially burley.
    Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.