1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sutliff Blend No. 5

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bahnzo, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Got this in the mail yesterday......You can request a free sample online HERE.

It was really unexpected because I ordered the sample so long ago that I forgot all about it. Always nice to get some free pipe tobacco, huh? I decided to sample it before looking it up online so that I had no expectation before smoking it.

Opening the tin, it's obvious that there's latakia in there. It also looks like it has a good amount of cavendish as well.

Smoking....latakia is mild and not overpowering with some sweetness. The problem I have is the smoke is "juicy". I think it has a lot of steam in it due to some casing on the tobacco possibly? Because of this the smoke seems kind of wet. Maybe it needs some drying out? But if it wasn't for this, I'd really think favorably about this tobacco. I'm going to leave the tin open for an hour or so and see if that improves it.

Can't beat free tho...order some if you haven't.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Woah woah woah...it's not only a free sample, but it's an entire TIN of the stuff??? I'm going to have to get some friends ordering these samples for me since they'll only allow me to get one sample myself! Thanks for the heads up, hope they send me something cool! How long did it take for them to send it?

:thankyou:

3. TheKiltedOne

TheKiltedOne Sales Account

Sample is only shipped to continental us unfortunately :thumbsd:

4. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

It's a 1.5oz tin. Can't remember how long it takes...it took long enough that I totally forgot about ordering it. But it's free, so.......

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

This was a blend that I had to work at. The problem was that it was said to be a substitute for Dunhill 965, and I smoked it back when Dunhill was hard to locate. It tasted nothing like 965, and I was disappointed. I had to put it away for awhile and then come back and smoke it on its own terms. I found it to be a pretty good blend on its own. I didn't have the steam problems you mentioned, but I dried it out for a short time before smoking. That might turn the trick for you as well.

Yeah, can't beat free, can you? :thumbsu:

6. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I find it too...simple, I guess. It's OK, just nothing to write home to mom about.

Free makes a helluva difference, though. I can source it locally for $2.29 still, so it's a dime cheaper than the Prince for me. Guess that still makes it a deal. I often tend to give one away just because of that.

7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Agreed. Mom wouldn't much care, anyway. On the other hand, it's worlds better than what dad smokes these days....

8. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

i signed up for the freebee, thanks for the info!

9. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

At $2.29 a tin, I would definitely like this a lot more. I mean I got it free, but if I was to buy some, it's ~$6 a tin for me, so not much really to like there.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think I luck up because Altadis USA has a plant next door to me...literally. On quiet nights I can hear what's being said on their intercom. If not this, well, I can't imagine why else it's so cheap.

11. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

Letting it dry out definitely makes a positive difference. A suitably spicy Latakia smoke that isn't expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.