Sutliff Private Stock....like?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I've been on here about a week and read all kinds of things including folks raving about their favorite tobaccos....but I never see anything about Sutliff Private Stock brand. (Well, other than some criticism of Mixture 79...)

So how are they as far as quality goes? Are they generally unliked?

Reason I'm asking is because I've tried several of theirs and love them....

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I find them to be a good occasional smoke, but could not be my "go to" tobacco.

YAPPG likes this.
  3. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

If you like them, it doesn't really matter what other people think, does it? :)

4. inkybat

inkybat Active Member

There are so many tobaccos, we can't get to them all! Never feel embarrassed to love a tobacco.

YAPPG and User3940 like this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

Well, part of me just has my feelings hurt 'cause I want to see them get some love.

But it got me wondering if they are the cube steak while others are the filet mignon.

But then again, you are right. Well, I love their blend No5 and their molto dolce, and if you guys ever run into anything from them you don't like, I'll tell you where you can stick it....er, I mean send it.

6. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm no expert on either, but I do believe H. Sutliff who is the purported blender of Mixture 79 and Sutliff of Private Stock fame are two different companies. The Sutliff Private Stock is a division of Altadis and I think H. Sutliff is someone completely different. Not entirely sure, though.

As for Sutliff Private Stock, I haven't run into anything I felt was great but I haven't smoked all that many of their blends. Their parent company, Altadis, makes a lot of stuff I can't smoke but they also make an Edgeworth RR clone that is fantastic.

7. Jfro

Jfro Member

I have had Westminster and No.5 - and I "won" a tin of BRG which just came in from The Devil's Cigar Site. The Westminster and No.5 were fine, nothing that really wow'd me but Frog Morton doesn't wow me either. I have a small backlog to smoke through before I get to the BRG, but I just read someone on here liked it well enough.

8. ArmedOctopus

Actually I think Altadis merged the two companies but just recently, I got wind that Sutliff is breaking back out. They actually have a pretty nice new website.

9. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Straight smooth pipes need love too! :laff::xd:

YAPPG and fogpipe like this.
  10. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

I absolutely despised the free sutliff great outdoors sample i got. Smell like pepto bismal in the can, tasted like pg and i dont know what really and about halfway down the bowl developed into the foulest tasting smoke i have had recently.
    That said, it has three stars on tr.com so if you like sutliff blends, go ahead and smoke the hell out of them. You can have my part :)

YAPPG likes this.
  11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I like R-Blend...

That is pipe smoking rule #1...

fogpipe, YAPPG, inkybat and 1 other person like this.
  12. ArmedOctopus

Ahhh. I see what you did there.....You got me fair and square. :th1:

Mark Dawson likes this.
  13. User3940

User3940 Active Member

You had to know that I wasn't gonna leave it unsaid...admit it. :poke:

14. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

I really liked Golden Age when I started. I bought 2 time and have since moved on and not opened them yet. Kind of afraid to as I may hate them now

15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

They're not what I would deem an 'A' quality tobacco by any means. The tins are 1.5 ounces in weight. I found my tin to be unlined and the moisture had created areas of rust around the rims. The tobacco I had *Westminster* was, hmmm, ok. Nothing really special in my opinion. And by comparison in price to say, CH, well the choice is obvious for me. If you can get it at bargain prices, or free, then by all means its worth smoking. But if you plan to toss it to the back of the cellar cabinet, I'd remove it from the tin to avoid any issues as I mentioned initially.

Rodfather and inkybat like this.
  16. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

I got three tins free from Pipes and cigars from their "goodie bag" offer. I did not really care for the two that were described as aromatic( Charlamange and Kentucky planter..I think) but the english blend Bosphorus cruise is not bad.

17. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I like R-Blend and French Quarter. Actually really good smokes.

18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I'm glad you mentioned those samples from P&C for International Pipe Smoking Day. I had read down to that point in the thread before realizing that I had, indeed, tried some Sutliff blends. So far I have only opened the Charlamagne and Kentucky Planter. I'm not big on aromatics in the first place, but I didn't hate them so much I won't smoke them some more -- I just might not order any more after this is good. I'm looking forward to trying the Bosporus blend, and will remain open to trying other blends from Sutliff -- if I get them as samples. :)

19. Voodoo 6

Voodoo 6 Member

I have a few tins from SPS. Currently open are Moulin Rouge and Louisiana Red. Both are decent IMHO

20. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I have an almost-finished tin of Blend No. 5, and Ruffinogold sent me a tin of St. George's Blend, which I absolutely loved!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.