1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sutliff Private Stock....like?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I'm a huge fan of NO5....can you give me an idea of what ST G's blend was like?

2. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've enjoyed the Alexander Bridge (aromatic) and the Kentucky Planter (non-aromatic) blends, but my favorite all day aromatic smoke is RLP-6.

4. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I've had one bowl - a big bowl - of Blend No. 5, many bowls of Maple Street and... sheesh, I forget some of the others, and I've got even more unopened tins. I... I really don't smoke as much as I want to. :( I haven't had any that were bad, and Maple Street quickly became one of my favorites. Still is, too. :D I'll have to have more of Blend No. 5, but thus far, it's not bad at all. To me it was sweet, but still a little spicy and smokey.

I think the way most folks see the Sutliff blends it that they've got a lot of good blends, but nothing really 'great.' That seems to be what I read a lot. To me though, I love their Maple Street... though I'm trying to get my hands on Rich's Maple Steamer... :banana:

Our Mayor and the first lady had quite a review thread going. Lots of good reading: Sutliff Mega Review

ruffinogoldswife likes this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I have two tins worth of Maple Street. I tried it when I had a cold and didnt care for it...but am about 90% my dislike was cold related.

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I find some of them pretty good, and others pretty foul. I like their Balkan Delux (a Balkan), CD Blend (an old timey type of blend that reminds me of classic OTC's like Revelation), and No. 5 Mixture (or some such name, which is a generic English type blend). I think there is just a bit of posing going on when Sutliff blends are touted as being the equal of high-end blends like Dunhill or whatever, but if taken on their own merits I think they are quite enjoyable all day blends. They run about $6USD a tin, which certainly puts them in the price range of an all-day smoke. I think that if you don't try to make them something more than they are, then they're pleasant enough blends. Nothing fancy, but very enjoyable. In an age of "super blends" like Pease and the like, many pipe smokers have forgotten what it is like to just enjoy a bowl tobacco. I think Sutliff blends are a reminder that pipe tobacco need not be fancy or exotic to be enjoyable.

EmperorGix, Glenn and ArmedOctopus like this.
  7. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

I haven't tried many Sutliff blends but the ones I've had I quite enjoyed. For the price, Blend No.5 was one smooth English smoke. Waiting until spring (and the acquisition of a new house) to dive into my "goody bag" Sutliff tins. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more, if I wasn't already so attached to my three blends I can buy in bigger quantities.

8. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

I see no one has mentioned Molto Dulce yet. It's really sweet. Literally and metaphorically speaking.

9. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I've tried a few. Of all, the No.5 Mixture was fair, and Westminster was somewhat better....neither was memorable. The tins are about twice as big as they need to be....or they need to put more in them. Come on....1.5 oz?!? That's around 42g. The smallest per tin amount of any tinned tobacco on the market today, and in a 100g tin.

10. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Here's what Ruff and I thought of some of the Sutliff Private Stock blends, we never finished the whole review because I got very sick and Ruff started giving away all of tobacco for it, so the review thread just sort of ended. But if you want to read the ones we did, you can find it here: http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/j-js-sutliff-blends-mega-review.10981/

At first I didn't like No 5, but it was my first taste of latikia, then after trying a few more milder English blends and really liking them, I revisited No 5 with a more open mind on Latikia. Now I must say that my two favorite Sutliff blends are the Balkan Luxury Blend and Golden Age. I find these tobaccos to be very easy to handle. Easy to light and keep lit. The flavors are good and don't gurgle or leave goo. I really enjoyed the review and it was especially fun to do with my DH.:D

11. No Bail

No Bail Member

Molto Dulce is my dessert smoke. I just have to remember to lay it out on a paper towel for a good bit prior to packing it.

ArmedOctopus and KingsTarantula like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.