1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet Stinky Pembroke!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jomodeere, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jomodeere

Jomodeere Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Hey all,
    I recntly aquired some new toby and I had 2 full quart jars of English Pembroke, so I transfered the Pembroke into a bigger mason jar. My question is though... How in yhe world do I get rid of that latakia smell?!
    Thanks all,
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Run the jars, lid and all in a dishwasher. If you don't have one, I suppose dropping everything into a pot of boiling water for a minute may do it...otherwise, a normal hand washing should work on all but maybe the gasket. If the gasket still stinks, replace it.

I haven't reused many jars yet myself, but so you know, I bought spare gasketed lids to avoid cross contamination. I think the more likely reason to use new ones is so you aren't risking good toby on faulty rubber...a compromised air seal would suck.
  3. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Jan 28, 2010
    I agree with Yingyang - the dishwasher is your best bet. Be forewarned that the Latakia smell will be left behind in the dishwasher (doesn't make the mrs. too happy :whistle: ). I recommend washing your jars alone in the dishwasher to avoid any domestic issues :groucho:
    The Latakia smell will disapate (usually one or two cycles is enough)
  4. Kyle Black

Kyle Black Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I found that simply a handwash with hot water is all it takes
  5. telltime

telltime Active Member

Aug 17, 2010
    While the dishwasher may work, if you are married ask yourself if the value of those jars is worth the risk... If you are talking Mason/Ball jars, you are out less than a couple of bucks if you toss them and replace them. The dishwasher cycle will cost you that much (energy + soap), and if your wife hates the smell of Latakia as much as you, your Doctor bill from having your back looked at because you spent the last several nights on the couch will cost you even more!

P.S. - I HATE Latakia!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.