SWR Aromatic Consistency?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DMWyatt, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

This may be an odd question, but what is supposed to be the pouch consistency of SWR Aromatic? I bought a pouch today, and it's bone dry. I just smoked a bowl of it, which as it would turn out was the fastest burning bowl I've ever smoked. Overall the taste, even when dry, has some interesting aspects, but I'm suspicious that it's too dry to reveal its true nature.

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Sounds like you got an old pouch to me, Mr Wyatt. SWR Aro is usually moist enough to be a bit springy but not so moist you can't smoke it right out of the pouch. You could try re-hydrating it either by putting it in a bowl with a wet paper towel on top or by putting a small potato slice in the pouch.

3. telltime

telltime Active Member

I agree with the wet paper towel method (and if you have any distilled water, this would be best), but I don't recommend the potato (or apple) method. These are foods (yes, I'm master of the obvious this fine Friday morning), and therefore contain sugars that will convert to bacteria and ruin tobacco in the long run.

If you are going to smoke the tobacco right away, it probably won't do any harm. But if your aren't going to consume the toby, say, within a week or so, you are going to introduce a food that will ferment (and not the good kind of fermentation - the "spoil" kind) to the tobacco and it will ruin it.

If you still decide to use a potato or apple, make sure you use a throw away pouch. Once again, if you are using a keeper roll-up pouch, you don't want food in there. Just tobacco.

Best bet is to either put the tobacco in a jar or humidor with a hydration device (or the damp paper towel) near, but not touching the tobacco. This will re-hydrate the tobacco slowly (three-ish + days) and not introduce anything but H2O to the toby.

Best of luck and enjoy.

4. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

while i haven't smoked SWR aro recently, i did pick up a couple pouches of SWR original yesterday--they also were pretty dry--not terribly so, but much drier than i would have thought normal--maybe some older tobacco is being released??

i have used the breath into the bowl trick to resupply moisture--i plan to rehydrate the rest with the wet towel treatment--i have used that before with success--

after the breath trick, everything seemed to go well--same old SWR flavor, cool, dry, and sweet right to the bottom--

5. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

I've got the tobacco in a bowl on my desk with a wet towel over it. Hopefully all goes well and I'm enjoying it in a few days. The flavor of it bone dry is interesting. I can detect a slight amount of sweetness, with the taste of the tobacco coming on strong. Dry, it tastes a lot like the tobacco I use to roll cigarettes with... which to me actually isn't a bad thing. Actually I'm half tempted to roll a cigarette with it as it is now.

6. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

my re-hydration attempt went quite well--smoked my first bowl of it this morning in a very old Kaywoodie pot--sittin' on the porch, watchin' the birds and puffin'--the tobac was just right, burned well, was sweet, cool, and dry all the way down the bowl--the best burley experience i have had in a long time, and i am a burley person--
    i was reminded of days gone by when i was a much younger man... but that's another story--

j

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

If youre compairing SWR aro to an OTC like CB or the like then it will be drier ... but it shouldnt be overly dry or brittle by any means . I buy cans of SWR mostly and pouches of SWR aro . I've been lucky .. the store sells it pretty quick so They have been fresh and good . The SWR and the Aro have been consistent for me for years ... theres a reason yours was weird[ could be old / ] but I'd doubt Middletons screwed up .

8. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

I also enjoy SWR Aro quite a bit, and compared to other's it is a bit dry everytime I've bought it. But not crispy or to the point it crumbles, just dry-ish. It always smokes fine so I've not worried about it.

9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

After sitting with the towel on the desk, it's livened up to a nice springiness. I smoked a bowl of it last night, and I'm loving it. The nice nuttiness of burley with just a little bit of added sweetness. The smell in the container is something like butterscotch, or exactly how a marlboro full flavor snus packet smells like.

10. Marc

Marc Active Member

Re-hydration will not bring SWRA back 100%, the cost of a pouch is not worth the hassle in my opinion, I would purchase a fresh pouch, always squeeze the pouch gently to check for freshness, if hard or crunchy, pass.

11. woody

woody Admin Admin

I haven't smoked any SWRA in a while. Just might pick up a pouch.

12. Marc

Marc Active Member

Its good stuff if you want a non-cloying aromatic smoke... I smoke it myself on occasion for a change of pace, it’s the only aromatic tobacco I smoke that I don't think of as an aromatic, because it’s not cased, but moistened with liquors!

13. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

CH and SWRA are the only OTCs that I will buy. They make a great change of pace from tinned English and Balkan stuff. I'm getting a craving for SWRA sitting here entering this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.