SWR Dry?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by User3940, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I have only purchased SWR twice, and both times the tobacco is very dry and crispy. Is this normal for SWR?

It smokes good, does not taste stale, and in fact burns slower than CH. Just odd that it is so dry. On the positive side, it does not gunk up my pipes.

Thuber88 likes this.
  2. Robin

Robin Member

The only pouch of it I have smoked was dryer than say CH, or the local blends I smoke, and it is cut different too. I soon found that if you pack a pipe too tight it won't burn good either. I got the technique down, and then enjoyed SWR quite well, when I run low on my other smoking experiments I'll get more. I don't think that answers your question, Coastie, but I hope it is of some value.

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Your input is appreciated, and it sounds like you have the experience with SWR. I will always keep a pouch on hand as I enjoy it. Now Captain Black Royal.......hmmmmm....I enjoy it, but not at the price they want for it. So that will be an occasional smoke.

Robin likes this.
  4. Robin

Robin Member

Im glad to hear the CBRoyal is good, I have a pouch of it I've not opened yet, had a coupon! ($2 off) :) I wouldn't have got it except for that, I despise regular CB!

5. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Wow, you just reminded me that I have a $4.00 coupon on the front of the frig at home. I'll use that next time I want some CB Royal.

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I have found SWR pouches to be much dryer than the tubs.

Thuber88 likes this.
  7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I was about to question you about this, but then realized you must have tried other tobaccos to figure out you like Carter Hall best. I think the coffee is finally working today.

dwaugh and Preacher1611 like this.
  8. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I was gonna say something clever at Doug until I read this!

9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Every time I've had SWR it was dry in the pouch as well Coastie, I think it just comes that way. I've enjoyed it when I've smoked it and would smoke it again. I love PA and find that it tends to be the same way. Similar, if not the same cut, (it's been awhile since I had the SWR), maybe that particular cut makes for dryer tobacco?

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

Yes the pouchez are quite dry of late.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

SWR is by no means a moist tobacco , It's drier than other OTC when it's fresh .. but , it shouldn't be really dry . There should be life in it and it should have a little bit of give to the plugs but not much . The tubs are always in good shape . The pouch is hit or miss depending on where you get them , whether its a quick seller or not , ya know . The good news is , is that it can be hydrated without any change in flavor .. SWR is a very hardy blend and can take it . If you could feel wha'ts in a tub ... that would give you the ideal moisture content for the blend and you could hydrate to that point if needed . But youre right ... it smokes fine even if it's kinda dry :th1:

12. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I just opened my free pouch of SWR that I got from Lane Limited a few months ago. It is very dry, especially when compared with other super wet OTCs.

I am enjoying the first bowl right now, and it is a very enjoyable smoke.

ruffinogold likes this.
  13. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Same as all of the above comments, it is dry in the pouch, its smoking fine, but a dry blend to be sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.