SWR in a cob

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Goat, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ok, so everyone talks about SWR in a cob, Ruff even sent me some with a new cob (thanks Ruff for the pipe BTW, one can never have too many cobs) He even went as far as to suggest smoking it in the morning, with a cup of coffee, in the new cob, with a filter ( filter? Really?)

Well, I did just like he said, used the new cob (thanks again) got the coffee, loaded up with SWR and I even left that silly assed filter in, but I'm not getting it.
    Don't get me wrong, this is some good stuff, I like it and can see myself smoking it again. It's just I don't see what all the hype is about. I feel like I'm missing something here. Like I said, this is a "good" smoke, but I guess I was expecting a "wow", smoke. I'm not giving up on it. I'm gunna smoke a few more bowls in the same pipe and see if there is anything else to it.

Also, I'm not writing this to "complain" about SWR, not trying to put it down or anything, not even looking for a "replacement" for it, I'm just curious. What do you SWR fans get from this? I actually feel like I'm missing something.

RTOdhner likes this.
  2. Albert

Albert Active Member

Like flavor?

RTOdhner and Spillproof like this.
  3. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

Ruff wont steer you wrong. He got me to try CH in my cob again after a not so exciting start as well as try SWR aro in the cob.
    My first experience with the new cob left me wondering what it was all about as well. THen I gave the CH a few more bowls and I must say, I get it now.
    Certainly not my main smoke but one that is consistant and enjoyable and you just cant beat the price of a cob and its aesthetic appeal.
    You may not like it at all, you may love it, that's your decision, but had I not smoked the cob until it "broke in" I would have missed something.
    BTW, thanks again Ruff!

Artistik likes this.
  4. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

You sound like a jpberg wanna-be :)

Mington, Coda, ruffinogold and 4 others like this.
  5. Marker

Marker Active Member

I have SWRA in a cob once in a while. Really enjoy it. Best thing is it burns so well. A nice no muss/fuss option when you want a pipe but don't want to tamp/light it every 10 minutes.

6. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Keep at it. The joy of SWR in a cob is the simplicity. It's not a blend that's going to blow you away after a single smoke- it's an Old Reliable. By the time you've blackened that cob you'll get it :)

MakDragon, RTOdhner and ruffinogold like this.
  7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

As an occasional smoker of US OTCs (partly because of availability here) I find SWR not much different to CH - and yes - in a cob, but for some reason I can't get along with Granger!....but my experience is generally limited:)
    OT

Mington likes this.
  8. Goat

Goat Active Member

Ok..... I'll put me a bunch more bowls in it and fill ya'll in in a couple of days. Like I said, I do like it. It's just that.......Well maybe I got my hopes up a little too high.

BTW. My fav cob is my POY nosewarmer. I can't seem to get that little bugger out of my mouth. Thanks Doug. My replacment arrived just fine.

Skrymr likes this.
  9. Goat

Goat Active Member

Yea....Like flavor.

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Two things .

First Kiowpipe said it perfect ! Secondly , you've been hitting Latakia for a while [ I'm ready for the backlash over this next statement ] ... and your taste buds are probably a bit waylaid . I'm not saying SWR is a flavor powerhouse . And I'm not sayin latakia is a bad thing . But if you had a non smoker or somebody that smokes very little , smoke SWR ... they'd taste it , ya now . I'm not offended if somebody doesnt like SWR or anything . But I honestly believe , and I'm not saying Goat is like this at all , that some people smoke blends with latakia a majority of the time ... either they dont like aromatics , or they dont seem to get flavor from other blends etc ... it's something the rest of us see either in a blatant or subdude way with many comments here and elsewhere . In my case I know for sure ... if I smoke blends w/ Latakia alot [ and I did for a time ] I started not tasting other stuff as well . Imagine if all you drank was a Cab Frac red [ which I love ] and then after a good while you poped a bottle of Pinot Noir ... honestly , what are you gonna think to yourself ... Man , this stuff dosent have much body and the flavor is'nt really there etc ... It's not that it dosent have flavor , it isnt water afterall , nor in the SWR air . It's called being Jaded :) . Being Jaded is cool by me .Theres a reason I'm a Burley junkie .. it's really in the Middle as far as tobacco flavors go . Less sweet than the Va stuff .. not as rich and heavish as the Turkish stuff .. right in the middle .

Kiowapipe, Albert and DGErwin11 like this.
  11. Goat

Goat Active Member

There you Ruff....and your right about me and the lats lately. I've been backing off of them and moving moe to the VA's. I'll stick with the SWR for awhile and give it a good and fair chance.

BTW Ruff, some of those other ones you sent me blew my socks off.:gjob:

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

Cool ! Thats what it's about !

13. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I think pipe smokers fall into two camps: Those who prefer the wild and exotic stuff and those who just want a bowl of tobacco. They're not mutually exclusive, but I think that as a rule the two camps have certain expectations that one or the other generally can't satisfy. I'm in the latter camp, and the genius of SWR is abundantly clear. I also like some of the wilder blends, and think 10 Russians is a monster blend; however, if that's what I favored then I can see how SWR would be kind of boring. But I'm with Kiowa, and I think the joy and genius in SWR is the simplicity. Give it a fair hearing, Goat, and if you just don't get it then don't sweat it. If we all had the same tastes, this forum would be pretty damn boring and the conversations far less lively.

14. homebrewer

homebrewer Member

A couple months ago I bought a pouch of SWR, it was really dried out and I didn't really care for it.
    I had rehydrated it a bit, then put it in a jar, and forgot about it.
    After I read this yesterday , I went to fill up a bowl, to smoke while walking the dog. So I figured what the hell, let's give it a try.
    It was better then before, I liked it OK. I smoke a lot of PA, if I could get the SWR fresh, I'd probably smoke it more.

ruffinogold likes this.
  15. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

It's true, that is a problem. I've gotten stuck with a dried up pouch of burley-kibble before too. You've got to get a fresh pouch to really appreciate it- once it's all dried out it loses its mojo. I guess the trick is finding a seller that keeps it moving off the shelf.

16. ruffinogold

+1 .. or you can but a tub [ it's alot of tobacco ] but the tubs are always in good shape !

DGErwin11 likes this.
  17. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Four moisture buttons freshly filled in a pint jar filled with dry tobacco, shake... shake.... shake... try it after a day or two. My B&M gave me four oz of dry tobacco at no cost, and this did the trick. Worked when I was given something a friend didn't care for either, too. :) YMMV. My tobacco was almost turning to dust, less moisture buttons may be better suited to your application.

ruffinogold likes this.
  18. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I find that SWR has a nice nutty butter flavor..my pouch was pretty fresh though.

ruffinogold likes this.
  19. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

this new extremely dry 'pouch' Raleigh has sorta tamed my lust for the blend--once it was my favorite above all others--i think Ruff is right--i just gotta jump in and get a tub and see if the old magic is still there--some years ago i didn't even mind rising early (as in 0300) as long as i started with SWR and a strong cup of coffee(or three)--

Kiowapipe likes this.
  20. Calam

Calam Member

SWR is alright. It is very mild to my tastes, the flavor doesn't quite have the body I'd like, but I didn't have high expectations the first time I smoked it, either. That said, there's just something about it that's... comforting, for lack of a better word. Mild, simple, doesn't bite at all, burns very well... I think I like it better than CH, personally.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.