SWR

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by brumoon, Jan 30, 2013.

1. brumoon

brumoon Member

Decided to try SWR so I bought a pouch. Driest tobacco I've ever seen - Except for a tin of Early Morning I opened and lost for a couple of years. It's kind of like granola or ground up mdf. I've hydrated it some and think I might like it if I could find a fresh pouch.

JimInks likes this.
  2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Last pouch I bought was dry too. Best way is to get the tub.

Lithua pipe likes this.
  3. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

All pouches are dry,the tubs are moist but not wet.I think it burns better when it is dry.

Coda, Lithua pipe, ted and 2 others like this.
  4. Calam

Calam Member

SWR fresh out of the pouch gets the best smoke for me.

Coda, Robin and colorduke like this.
  5. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I picked up a pouch today, first pouch from a new six pack box, dry in the pouch, yes, the way I like it! Awesome smoke!

6. Calam

Calam Member

It never fails to amaze me how good this stuff is. I've been on a tour of several very different tobaccos, from English blends to aromatics. I hadn't had any SWR in a while because I'd grown 'bored' with its mildness. But after lighting it up in a cob last night, I was once again amazed by how good and comforting it tastes. Like a nice cup of red bush tea!

7. Retread

Retread Member

Based on the recommendations of so many people on this and other forums, I decided to give this tobacco a try. I'm certainly glad I did, and would recommend SWR to anyone.

Ken

Smokey and Atom like this.
  8. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I like how dry it is (that goes for SWRA too). It burns easily and doesn't funk up my pipes.

Coda, Smokey and Atom like this.
  9. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I picked up a pouch of SWR last night, and it was it's usual bone-dry self. The looks and feel of this tobacco are very deceiving I think. When trying it for the first time no doubt many people think they got a bad batch. I haven't tried the cans, but the extremely dry granola that comes in the pouch is a great tasting smoke.
    I love that distinct nutty flavor that fully develops less than half way through the bowl. Almost walnut like in flavor.

Coda, Smokey, dBear and 1 other person like this.
  10. Atom

Atom Member

I have been smoking SWR a lot recently.
    Simple, uncomplicated, relaxing, but yet still interesting enough to smoke all day.
    Not quite a cube cut, not quite the "fish flakes" of a krumble kake, still easy to scoop - tamp - light.
    Very dry and very good!

Smokey, Wildcat, RTOdhner and 2 others like this.
  11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I just bought a pouch the other day. It's the first pouch that I noticed has the manufacturer listed on it (Made in USA by Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd. Tucker, GA 30084). It's got the same flavor that I like, and it still smokes as well, but it seems that it's a bit moister than usual.

12. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

SWR mixes very well with C&D cube cut burley. They are both about the same consistency, and the cube cut kicks the mix up a notch, IMO.

13. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

I just bought a pouch this past Thursday (my first in 20+ years) and it was nice and moist. In fact it was compressed into almost a cake. It was marked like RTO's package.

14. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, it was kind of compressed-like. Still good stuff, though.

15. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah I just got one of the new pouches as well (manufacturer listed), and it was very moist. I was worried that perhaps they've tinkered with the recipe but I smoked it fresh and it tastes the same, thank heavens.
    Still though this is way too moist for me personally (I love dry tobacco), so I left it to dry over night. A lot better this morning, though I'll let it dry out some more before jarring it.

Robin likes this.
  16. Robin

Robin Member

Yet another OTC I have not tried yet. I'll have to pick up a pouch today and see how it compares to PA and CH, I'm still looking for an OTC to stock up on for doomsday! SWR could be the one. :)

Ephraim and Thuber88 like this.
  17. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Your post inspired me to pick up another pouch of SWR. I ended up with one of the unlisted manufacturer pouches, but my conclusion is the same. I don't know if it's because I smoke a lot of PA, or if my tongue is just that much different from everyone else's, but I get a lot of sweetness out of SWR that I don't get out of PA. I still maintain that it's almost a fruit like sweetness, and becomes cloying 1/2 way through a bowl.

Smokey likes this.
  18. mugwump

mugwump Member

The only SWR I've smoked is from a batch of Brown and Williamson pouches I picked up a few years ago on clearance. It's my favorite OTC but I'm worried now that my initial batch is coming to an end that the newer stuff might taste different.

Wildcat likes this.
  19. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Robin- You just might like it :)

DMWyatt- Yeah I agree that SWR has a certain sweetness to it. To me its kinda like honey-roasted peanuts at first, but turns nuttier towards mid-bowl.

Mugwump- To me the new batch is identical in taste to the older. Definitely moister though.

I really love SWR. It has actually moved past Carter Hall on my OTC Burley rankings :)

mugwump likes this.
  20. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Hey Robin, did ya get a chance to try SWR yet?

Robin likes this.