SWR

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by brumoon, Jan 30, 2013.

1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Welcome to the club ....... The Man Club :hbang:

UncleVint and colorduke like this.
  2. DakOOk

DakOOk Member

Just had first bowl of SWR in probably over a decade. The pouch is one of the STG labeled ones and it is moister and the cut different (Not as granolia or kitty litterish :eek:) than what I remember. Also seems the tobacco itself is darker than what I remember, but could just be the memory playing tricks. I like it, nice old codger burley. Wife likes the smell, but liked CB dark better. :confused: Still will have to grow on me quite a bit to displace the Prince. :byg:

Jimmy Bukowski and ruffinogold like this.
  3. Smokey

Smokey Member

Ahhh SWR. The OTC that does not dampen the heel of your pipe. It burns slow, dry and cool. Pairs very well with a cup of coffee. I smoke it more than I am willing to admit! :)

ruffinogold and colorduke like this.
  4. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

This is the very thread that had me interested enough to buy some SWR. I tried it in my truck on the way home in a DGE nosewarmer cob and found it pretty darn good. Then I forgot about it. (That was back in the spring! ):beyes:
    The pouch of SWR has been in my truck for at least three months in the heat of an OK and TX summer. :doh:
    I found it today when I was driving around on a parts run in my console. That SWR is super dry -- I figured “what the heck” and put a few pinches into the same DGE cob.
    Even super dry it was pretty darn good. It lit and stayed lit with one match and burned clean to the bottom of the bowl. Tasted fine.
    Just figured I’d post an update…

MacNutz, ruffinogold and Rodfather like this.
  5. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

My first attempt at SWR was less than stellar.However after a month or so I am shocked at how much I like this.I cannot explain what happened....the pouch was mail order and I tried the day it arrived.It was just bland to me.After the second bowl I threw the pouch in my travel humidor.Pulled it out this morning,codger packed a cob,poured me a strong cup of coffee...........MAGIC.I'm 4 or 5 bowls in now and lovin this stuff.I could see me cellaring some of this.

Ron

WalkinStick and Shootinok like this.
  6. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

I guess I'm gonna have to try it again. I had the exact same experience you did, except I only ever smoked it once. Just didn't care for it. Tasted like dirt, to be honest. Knowing my luck, I'll love it now, if I can find it :byg:

MacNutz likes this.
  7. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

of course it could be that you will never like it. No big loss. Just send it to me.:bing:

ruffinogold and WalkinStick like this.
  8. UncleVint

UncleVint Member

good to have an OTC blend that you like and can get about anywhere.

I used to smoke Edgeworth as my daily go to until it was discontinued, so I
    started SWR and I go through a tub of it. about every 3 weeks. Its more consistant in its moisture since STG/Lane took it over and drying it a little helps with its burn. I still love my G&H Brown Flake and others but they're too expensive to smoke every day.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Coda and Wildcat like this.
  9. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

SWR and SWRA are my favorite OTC tobaccos , it burns really nice and dosent bite and has good taste. Only ones i know of i will buy in tins. I find them smooth and tasty but not over sweet. SWR in the mornings with my coffee is a MUST.
    I never got to try Sugar Barrel or Walnut when i started smoking pipes they were being discontinued so i didnt want to try and like and not be able to get any.
    Ch is good but to me it is harsh and bitter after a while, PA is just bland and tasteless and i really wanted to like PA.
    I may try Velvet at some time as i have a old metal tin of it for display , so i should at least try it .

colorduke likes this.
  10. Whitespot

Whitespot Member

All this SWR talk lately and I'd thought I'd share this little gem!

11. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

Thats really cool. Mr. Burns was a class act and very funny!

12. ruffinogold

Try the Velvet .... it's Kentucky Burley and it has a topnote of something . It's a bit moist and needs to be lit twice or three times [ as does Half and Half ] but after that will probably smoke to the bottom . Both Velvet and Half and Half were rescued by Lane recently and they did a fantastic job with them

Coda and TroyNov1965 like this.
  13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for the day when Lane resurrects ERR...

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

Sorry im a newb dont recognise EER

15. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed...

TroyNov1965 likes this.
  16. ruffinogold

Me too :bow: ... Thanks to you , I tried the err match from [ heck , I forgot where it's from .. H&H ? ] .. anyway , it's good but it doesn't have the depth . Yeah , man .. wouldn't it be awesome if Lane did a whizbang job !!

TroyNov1965 likes this.
  17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Sutliff does the match. I think if Lane took the base of SWR, and added some of the ERR "essence," it would come pretty close to what I have tried of the original (thanks to some crazy Mayor)...

ruffinogold and TroyNov1965 like this.
  18. ruffinogold

Ya know .. Lane is on a feakin roll , imo . The Blood Red Moon Cult is inspiring and amazing , it really is . It's maybe the best Cherry blend I've ever smoked and I've smoked a few . H&H and Velvet were such improvements .. I hope they keep rolling in the direction they are !

19. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I bought my first pouch of SWR in a year this passed Saturday. I figured I'd revisit it again. Its a pleasant blend. Super simple. I get a flavor similar to PA, only a bit toastier...like peanuts from the shell versus pre-shelled peanuts. I dont get a whole lot of sweetness, but do, occasionally, pick up on a very subtle floral note. This particular pouch was the 2nd to last in the box, with a fresh box sitting next to it. This pouch has no mention of STG on it. It is pretty crispy...but that has no effect on smoking experience.

TroyNov1965 likes this.
  20. TroyNov1965

TroyNov1965 Member

it can get pretty dry fast, i left my lid a lil opened and it got a little dry in the tin . throw a piece of bread in it overnight was good as new.