SWRA Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by NickWilliams, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic? I was really enjoying it right up to the point that the nicotine content made me turn green and barf my socks off for several hours. Ever get sick and throw something up and then have an aversion to it afterwards? That's me and my situation with SWRA right now. It is the only tobacco in 16 years to ever make me sick.

I liked SWRA so much because it was an aromatic that my wife liked the smell of, but it smoked more like the english blends that I prefer. It is smooth, with absolutely no bite, kind of dry (not all wet and goopy like most aros, and performed well no matter how fast or slow you smoked it.

So, is there anything out there that my fellow PSF'ers can recommend that is comparable? Something with no bite, just a hint of topping to keep the wife happy, smokes dry, and has a lower nicotine content than SWRA?

dmkerr likes this.
  2. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

You should try 4Noggin's Down by the River, its not exactly the same but it has many of the qualities mentioned and is also a mainly burley blend, very smooth.

dmkerr likes this.
  3. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

I regularly enjoy SWRA with no side effects from nicotine. Did not detect that much in it. I guess your mileage will vary. Too bad it has that effect on you, sounds like you were really enjoying it.

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Good question! I respected it for its clean burning characteristics but I didn't enjoy the flavor. Thanks for the suggestion, Klaus'mn. :th1:

5. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I didn't know SWRA had a high(er) nic content. Maybe because I prefer stronger tobacco and/or higher nic content.
    Sorry to hear that Nick. I will be curious to hear what else you find and how it works for you.
    Sorry I did not have a suggestion.

6. Marker

Marker Active Member

I think I know why Nick sent me a pack of SWRA with my pocket kit :). I have yet to try it. Will do so soon. Coming from cigars and usually more full cigars I can handle the nic but I will let you know if I think much of it is in there.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I know where youre comming from . For an aromatic , it's got alot of Nic ! As far as an alternative it's pretty tuff cause SWRA is pretty unique in the aro world . As far as burn quality [ clean/dry ] I'd say the old IRC blends like Old Colonial and Three Star Bronze etc ... burn very much like SWRA but dont taste like it . As far as the SWRA type flavor ... you'd have to experiment w/ buttered rum type aros , which IRC has the best one on the planet , however it's not nearly as dry as SWRA . I guess C&D would have blends that are as dry .. and maybe they have a flavor thats close also . I wouldnt know cause I cant stand C&D blends in general but they're not wet . Good luck and lets us know what ya find ! .......... or ... maybe try smoking just a small bowl of the SWRA :)

8. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I will have to order some "down by the river" and give it a try. I've read that it can have some bite to it. I will just have to smoke it slow. I always seem to get bit when I light the aros, and when I get to the bottom of the bowl.

How about a suggestion for a super smooth non-aro? I'm talkin' smooth as butter...

9. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Lots of burley blends might suit your palette right now. Something with an anise/vanilla/slightly-boozey smell, but just heavenly smoke through the pipe (i don't like booze, you don't taste it)? I have something you might want to try from my local B&M, it's relatively cheap ($4/oz) and I'll send you a freebie (least I could do after you bombarded me).

Of course, to really switch it up, how about a Full Virginia Flake? Not sure they qualify as "smooth as butter," but SG FVF, DH Flake, and then Orlik Golden Slice (blended va's) come to mind.

Or maybe a VaPer. Some Escudo Navy De Luxe or some Esoterica Dorchester?

10. woody

woody Admin Admin

Dan tobacco Sweet Vanilla Honeydew isn't a high nic tobacco.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Good call Woody ! Sweet Vanilla Honeydew is kinda close in flavor and , as far as burn and cut , is the closest I can think of . It's got a pronounced aro flavor like SWRA also . It reminded me to think of PS Sweet Vanilla . Sweet Vanilla isnt real heavy on the aro but it's no doubt there . It tastes great and can be smoked all day

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Gotta try some of that sweet vanilla honeydew!

The flavor of SWRA wasn't too far off the mark for me - just far enough to make it less than right. But I am very impressed with the blend, and quite frankly, more than a little irritated that I didn't like it. I still think a lot of aro blenders should study SWRA and try to emulate it.

Rewster66 and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.