1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

SYNCRO STEM BULLDOG/RHODESIAN

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by RTOdhner, Jun 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

As I do about once a month, I hit the estate/antique shop up the road from my office and went in search of pipes. Today I hit paydirt: A Kaywoodie Syncro Stem. While it looks like what we'd call a Rhodesian today, apparently Kaywoodie called it a Bulldog since I've done a bit of research and can't find any Kaywoodie references to ever offering a Rhodesian, but I did find a bunch of Bulldog references.

It's got a really good sized bowl for a Bulldog/Rhodesian, a 2.0" inch shank (3/4" of which is a metal band), and and a gracefully curving stem that is about 3.5" long. It's got a beautiful medium-walnut finish, and only has two minor nicks on the shank. The stem screws into the shank, and it's in good shape. The stinger is even in good shape, and it's not corroded onto the rest of the stem. There is no model number on the shank and all it says is Syncro on the top line and Stem right below it. The famopus Kaywoodie logo is not on this pipe.

Anybody got any idea how old this pipe might be? Researching the Bulldog Syncro, I saw a similar looking bent Billard Syncro (same finish, same style band, and similar style stem, but bent more) that was dated at 1955, but I'm not for sure what years this particular line was in production.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Uhhh... hope we get PICTURES! :poke:

3. RTOdhner

As soon as I find where my cable went.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Google 'Kaywoodie Compendium'. This database is pretty comprehensive...you're bound to find an answer over there.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

c'mon with the pics, man!

6. RTOdhner

I'm kind of still in the stone age, so bear with me. I've got the photos downloaded to the lap top. Now how do I post them?

7. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

If you email 'em to andy at ajlowry dot net, I'll stick 'em on the internet so that you can link.

8. RTOdhner

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Kind of an awkward process, but I thinks I've got it. The lighter pipe is the Pete 2009 St. Paddy #999, and the darker pipe is the estate Kaywoodie Synchro Stem compared next to it. Sorry the photos aren't better, but I've got a dinky camera.

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Very nice looking pipe! Congrats on the purchase! Beale.

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Congratulations on the pipe! I hope your 999 smokes as well as mine!

11. RTOdhner

Thanks. The #999 has been dedicated to flake, and I'm in the process of breaking it in with some Erinmore. So far it smokes very nicely. I'm in the process of cleaning-up the Syncro, and I'm letting the bowl cleaning stuff air-out.

12. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Sorry if I was a little late with the pic loading instructions. Was off-line for a bit...

Nice looking pipes! :th1:

13. RTOdhner

Thankyee.

14. DocB

DocB Active Member

Nice score!! That's a nice looking pipe...

15. RTOdhner

Thanx. The #999 is fairly traditional, but I think the Syncro is really something else: Rhodesian-like bowl, but with a Churchwarden-like shank/stem. (And only $20 - long live estate shops!).

16. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Gorgeous pipe, I hope it smokes as well as it looks! Seems you're all ready for the Bulldog days of summer!

(BTW that blur in the photos looks a lot like a dirty lens, got a dab of vodka and a paper towel or q-tip?)

17. RTOdhner

Thanks. Now I'm ready for the Dog Fry!

18. RTOdhner

Thanks. I might just need to clean the camera some. I want some better pics for the Dog Fry, because these just didn't do the Kaywoodie any justice.

19. telltime

telltime Active Member

I think (someone correct me if they know I'm wrong) that those Kaywoodies that are marked "Syncrostem" are the older collectible ones. Esp. if they still show Pat. Pending.

Congrats on the find!

20. RTOdhner

No Pat. Pending, no model number, no Kaywoodie logo of any sort, just:
    Syncro
    Stem

The briar appears to be pretty good quality, and several steps about the stuff Kaywoodie used for their standard pipes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.