Syrian Latakia TAD

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by woodbutcher, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

A week ago, I was at the B&M to do some re-stocking. I decided to try some blends with Syrian Latakia and see how they compared with the Cyprian ones that I enjoy. I picked up one tin each of McClellands Rose of Latakia and 3 Oaks Syrian.
    The following is my impression of both blends, based on five bowls each. It is strictly my opinion, but, would like to know if it compares with any of your experiences.

Both tobaccos filled easily, lit with no problem, and tasted good from top to bottom. There the similarities end.

Rose of Latakia is a good Va/Oriental blend. It tastes sweet, with a little bit of spice from the Oriental and was worth the attempt. What I couldn't taste was anything resembling Latakia. I think Middleton's Walnut has more Latakia flavor than I found in five bowls of this. Even my wife didn't notice enough of a smell to cause her nose to wrinkle. I put the remaining 1 ounce+ in a jar and will go back to it once in a while, but, nothing here really "floated my boat". They could have called it Rose of Alabama and it wouldn't have made a difference.

3 Oaks Syrian is completely different. It still has the Va/Oriental base, but, the Latakia comes through great. I'm still not able to tell between Syrian and Cyprian, but, I know what "good" tastes like. This tin will stay open until it's gone and will be replaced by many more. It cost $2.00 more than the Rose and the result was four times better (well worth the extra). I like it as much as I like the Frogs and, as a wife repellant, it works even better.

Anyone else agree (or disagree) with my findings?
    Any explanations on what I should be looking for to tell Syrian from Cyprian?
    Enjoy smoking your pipes.
    Dan

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Thanks for the thread and comments, esp about Rose. I was planning on getting some but now will replace it with 3-Oaks Syrian or Ringlow Syrian Reserve which is another outstanding S-Lat toby. Nice thing is that there are still blenders who still have some S-Lat left to flavor their blends with this wonderful condiment tobacco. The Mac Baren "Vintage Syrian" is a great smooth, thick, flavorful smoke and won't bite even if your name was "Monica" ;)

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Thanks for the link Dondi. I had already read it, and a slew of other articles and columns on the net. I just can't seem to get my tongue to find what the writers explain.

Puff, I hope I didn't keep you from trying "Rose" in the future. I should have added the usual YMMV at the bottom. I like all of the McC blends I've tried (they easily make up the majority in my cellar). "Rose" just didn't come up with what I expected after reading the name and tin description. It's still a good Va/Oriental blend.
    Also thanks for the tip on MacB VS. I'll be looking for it.

It is possible that something in "Rose" was able to fool my system into not finding the Latakia. I can't imagine a reputable blender using "Latakia" in the name, extolling the virtues of it in the tin description, then including so little of the leaf that it takes a hound dog's nose to find it.
    That's what I was trying to find out in the OP. How has it tasted to others that have tried it? It's been out long enough that I can't be the only one here who has invested in a tin.
    Enjoy your pipes.
    Dan

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Dan, your review didn't steer me away from Rose. It was a combination of TR ratings & comments that made me suspect of Rose. I figured since I can't possibly buy or even try all of the toby out there..........I'd just go with a "known good" for me and 3-Oaks Syrian is very good IMO. I'm sure some will be in opposition of my choice(s) but since they're not buying my toby, I'd best make the best decision(s) for my money.

At the time I'd originally posted, I was placing an order for more S-Lat toby and I'd just "nix'd" the Rose and got more of 3-Oaks. Thanks! Money well spent!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Puff, Glad to hear you like the 3 Oaks Syrian, too. That first tin I got went too fast and I've had to order some more.
    I just got a shipment yesterday that included a tin of the MacB HH VS. Only one bowl so far, but, I'm liking it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Dan

7. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

Watch out for Mac Baren "Latakia Blend". Check it out on TR for a list of comments similar to yours which I have quoted. On the other hand, their HH Vintage Syrian is delicious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.