TAD and how to store it.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pc566, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pc566

pc566 Member

i have just ordered 7 tobaccos to try from james barber's website, can't remember which ones but they were a decent price and had a good selection so i went for it, i think i have been struck by TAD. has anyone had dealings with these guys?

another quick question, these will be coming in plastic pouches and i already have 5 in plastic pouches, no more then 25g in each. how would be the best way to store these, i hate having these plastic wallets lying around and i need something to keep the tobacco fresh, any suggestions?

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

screw top ball jars available at walmart and most grocery stores.

3. gyrostatic

gyrostatic Member

I usually use mason jars, any Wal-Mart should have them and some grocery stores.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

If prospective advisers looked at the location of the post (UK!)...it's obvious that Wal-Mart would be quite a long hike! LOL!, and as for 'Mason jars' - I personally have no idea what one looks like! - we just DON'T have 'em here!. Regarding James Barber - first-class tobacconist, I call there regularly to buy 'loose' tobaccos (we don't call it bulk!) from their extensive array of jars. For what it's worth - I keep mine in various sizes of 'Kilner' jars....the ones with wire - lever fasteners, and rubber sealing gasket - that are available at 'Wilkinson' and other hardware shops here.
    Cheers OT.

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Probably a long hike to Walmart, but probably not too far to an ASDA, Ted. Same same. Kinda like Kilner vs. Mason.

6. pc566

pc566 Member

thanks everyone. yea sorry, i probably should have said Uk but i sorta know what you mean by mason jars, i was thinking something similar but just wasnt sure if they would be suitable. can't wait for them to arrive so i can spend some quality time trying them all.
    thanks for the good review on the dealer too, do you have any specific favourite OT or do you dabble in all of them?

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....apart from an occasional diversion I tend to stick with 'straight' Virginia flakes and plugs - SG's Best Brown being a favourite, as well as Brown Irish (rope) - which some find a little too...er...robust? but to me - most cool and satisfying.
    Cheers OT

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I notice that you are in York....I wonder if you have visited 'Choice Select' yet?, they have a good selection of tobacco and pipes. I use them regularly - they are the nearest of four B&Ms that I visit.
    Cheers, OT.

9. Badcompany

Badcompany Member

Hi OT,
    You can purchase Mason Jar's at Cookability UK. http://www.cookability.biz/home-discovery-preserving-jars/b_697.htm
    UK

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

+1 on mason jars, plus they have a few different sizes.

12. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I use the flat 1/2 pint Mason jars, kind of a jelly jar...not sure if that translates to your Brit "Kilners" or not. I find these perfect for 1-2 tins of tobacco. They are about 2" tall, 3 1/2" across and have the wide mouth flat-and-ring top.

13. rphillips

rphillips Member

Any jar with a lid that can be clamped (by means of screw or other) down tight and has a good rubber seal should be good I would imagine. Empty pickle jars, jam and jelly jars... Just clean it out first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.