TAD attack at the Chicago pipe show...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mongo, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Active Member

Howdy all,

Went to my very first pipe show today, the Chicago Pipe show in St. Charles. Total. Sensory. Overload. I of course picked up some free samples and purchased a couple of others. I am hoping someone can chime in with their experiences with what I bought/got free.

Bought, on the advice of a fellow smoker:
    1. Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired. A blend of dark fired burleys with flue cured Virginias. It is a flake that is hot pressed. Not quite sure what all that means, but I smoked a bowl of it in one of my new pipes, and it was very bold in taste and nic content. I liked it.

2. L. J. Peretti Co. INC. Blend no. 333. This is a cube cut blend of Burleys and ????. I smoked a sample bowl in the smoking tent, and was offered the remaining supply the vendor had for a song. I have about 15.5 oz. of the stuff! Gonna take me quite a long time to go through this one. The cube cut is different.... I was told you basically pour it into the bowl with very light/limited tamping. It smoked very well, with only one relight because I wasn't paying attention.

The free samples:

3. Sutcliff Tobacco Co. French Quarter. an "intriguing mixture of Burley, Black Cavendish and Virginia". A non-aromatic. 1.5 oz. tin

4. Sutcliff Tobacco Co. Blue Danube. An Aromatic blend of Golden Cavendish, Burley and Virginia. 1.5 oz tin

5. Sutcliff Roma Vita. An Aromatic Burley and Virginia.... didn't like this one, left it at the show.

6. two samples, I think from Cornell and Diehl Inc. One called Briar Fox, the other Old Joe Krantz. I know nothing about what's in them, they are small samples in baggies.

I will keep this updated as I try them.

dBear, YAPPG, bubbagump and 6 others like this.
  2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't know about the rest of those blends, but MacB ODF is an awesome flake and Old Joe Krantz (OJK) is another great blend. Both are a little on the heavy side, but both are oh so good.

jdto and BriarRabbit like this.
  3. mongo

mongo Active Member

RTO, who makes the OJK? Is that from Cornell and Diehl? I totally lost track of the specifics on some of my samples and the pipes that I bought. Next year, I am bringing a pad of paper and pen to write down all the stuff I wish I could know now.

4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Good deal on the free samples (especially the 1.5oz tins). I'm looking forward to hitting the Richmond show in October.

5. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

Mongo, you need to post up some pics of your new pipes too!

dBear likes this.
  6. mongo

mongo Active Member

I wish we could post up directly from our computers here.... that, I know how to do. I think I need a kid to show me how to do it the other ways. I guess you need a photobucket or similar account to do that.

dBear likes this.
  7. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Yup, C&D.

mongo likes this.
  8. Gary

Gary Member

I picked up a sample of Briar Fox at last year's show and ended up buying over 1/2 lb. since then. Yesterday I bought another 1/2 lb tin. OJK I don't think I've tried. Very strong cigar-type smoke if I remember the descriptions I've read correctly.

mongo likes this.
  9. Gary

Gary Member

Briar Fox tin description: (Crumble Cake) An exceptionally smooth blend of VAs, the personal blend of Peter Heeschen, the well known Danish pipe maker." Cornell & Diehl.

mongo likes this.
  10. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

Does one of these shows ever get done in Dallas/Ft Worth??? Or Houston, San Antonio.... Texas... somewhere??

ronbruce61 likes this.
  11. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Good question........but Lubbock or Amarillo work better for me.

Ron

12. BriarRabbit

BriarRabbit Member

I'll go to west TX in a heartbeat... only 5 hours to Lubbock... lot closer than Chicago or St Louis. I reckon better BBQ too ;)

dBear likes this.
  13. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

You know it Brother!!!

Ron

BriarRabbit likes this.
  14. dBear

dBear Active Member

Yep, get a Photobucket account (it's free.) Upload your photos to Photobucket (they have it set up so it's just drag 'n drop.) Select your picture and use one of the several ways to "get links" - usually looking on the right hand side of the page is easiest ("Links to Share This Photo") Copy the code labeled "IMG codes" and paste that into your post here on the forum. It's easy!

15. mongo

mongo Active Member

I smoked one of my large billiards that I got at the show last night.... loaded it up with the Piretti 333 blend. Very very nice smoke, complex and "strong" to my uneducated palate. I am dang glad I have nearly a pound of it! The cube cut is interesting.... loads easily and burns nicely.

I also did a smaller bowl of the Mac Beran HH ODF.... this too is a very nice strong blend, I would liken it to a moderate to strong cigar. Am also glad I bought a tin of this stuff too.

BriarRabbit and Summit like this.
  16. mongo

mongo Active Member

Tonight.... I finally tried the Briar Fox. THAT was a fine fine smoke! And, I smoked in one of my new giant billiards.... so I got a dang near two hour smoke out of it! It is a complex and strong smoke... I think there will be more of this in my future. Add it to the TAD list.

Edited to add: finally found Briar Fox on C&D's website.... it is a Virginia blend in cake form. I guess I am finding out that I like Virginias too! It seems to me that Burleys and Virginias agree with me.

ronbruce61, Summit and dBear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.