1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

TAD spreading into PAD as well

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Gondar, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gondar

Gondar Member

I was only supposed to carve pipes and only smoke to test a few of them. Then a very kind friend gave me a Peterson. Then I got TAD. Now I am convincing myself that I should pay money to aquire an already made pipe. And people here (Mr Moo) mentioned meershaum as an alternative. The same friend that gave me the Peterson showed me Altinoks site and now I want this:
    http://altinokpipe.com/detail.asp?product_id=IM125

I want it in an all straight version or at least only half the bend as in the pic. My mates opinion is..., well let's say he would post it in the "fugly pipes thread", but I think it has lots of style. I plan to build my next pipe with bamboo so if I could make one that match this, they could make a nice couple a well.

I looked in the meer info threads and from what I gather Altinok is a good seller and I like the shape. Tell me is there any reason why this pipe would be a bad purchase?

2. Gondar

Gondar Member

With 30 views and no comments I can only assume that noone has anything to warn me about, and also that my friends opinion regarding the beauty of the pipe is the more widespread one. :lol:
    Well I ordered it anyway. I guess I won't have to worry that anyone will steal it. :eek:hyeah:

3. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

Well, I like it. I'm usually not a fan of smooth meers either, the shank gives it enough texture to be interesting.

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Just saw this thread, and I like it too!
    One of those "in the easychair" pipes.

dp

5. Gondar

Gondar Member

cheers guys. :)
    I agree Deckard. I won't be likely to buy that many meers( I think) so I did not want a standard smooth looking one, but a one of a kind interesting one, although perhaps not one of those "nude dame dancing with a wolf under the moon while a schooner sails by in the background - kind of meers". It was either this or a churchwarden.

Snake, You hit the head of the nail. An easychair pipe is exactly my plan for it. One that won't ghost so that I can keep testing new tobaccos and change tobacco from bowl to bowl every time.

I also want to say that the communication with mr Altinok has been top notch, and I recieved answers from him within a few hours, Saturday evening as well as Sunday morning.

6. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

Didn't see this thread before this morning. I'm not a fan of long, churchwarden-style pipes, but that's me. On the other hand, I do like meers. That one has an elegant look to it. I hope it smokes well for you!

7. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I wrote the "fugly" pipe thread. I think your pipe has the look of regal and elegance. Great looking pipe! Enjoy!!
    Be well.
    Ol Brokedik.

8. Gondar

Gondar Member

Thank you Kreinhard. I will report how it smokes for me.

Ol Brokedik, those were kind words, thanks. We have a saying: " Taste is like the butt - divided". :)

9. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Altinok is held in high regard, so no worries there. My only concern, sort of, is make sure that long stem doesn't get too wet(and therefore soft). It could become an Achilles' heel. I broke a meer by over smoking it, I guess, so word to the wise.

10. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Ohhh! That's a beauty! I've become a fan of bamboo lately, and that one is a perfect replica. I have a few pieces from Sinan, and assure you, the quality will be top notch. As you've found, communication with him is excellent. I haven't bought a pipe from him in two years (gotta remedy that!) and still get a personalized Christmas e-mail from him every year. The man treats all his customers as if they were his good friend...great gentleman!

11. Gondar

Gondar Member

Yinyang, I'll try to remember that. Thanks. The long stem was one of the things I wanted.

Cheers T-bear. There are many attractive pipes on his homepage, but this one caught my eye. I have some bamboo lying around and a notebook full of ideas for it. I think it is a classy and playful feature.

12. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I just want to make plain that I don't think you'll have any problems with that pipe...just treat it with care. So long as it isn't your camping pipe, or you don't raise rabid howler monkeys, the chances are excellent it will outlast you...and that's a good thing. Enjoy!

13. Gondar

Gondar Member

That's how I understood you. :)
    If I start raising rabid monkeys of any sort, I am sure the pipe will survive longer than I :eek:hyeah:

14. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I was going to reply to this earlier, but when I followed the link, I got stuck looking at pipes. There's a bent bulldog over there that looks like it may be my new flake-pipe.

Altinok has a good reputation for quality. I usually try to stay away from sites like that because they suck up all my money real fast, but I may have to make an exception this week.

15. Gondar

Gondar Member

This morning I got an email from Altinok, stating that they had sent it yesterday. At 13.45 the pipe arrived. :)

It is awesome.
    It is huge.
    It is mine! :punk:

Nice box that enhance the luxurious feel.
    [​IMG]

For size.
    [​IMG]

16. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

That is so awesome. Exotic is the word I'm looking for. I'd load it up with some orientals and pretend I was sitting on a balcony in Istanbul.

17. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a very striking meer, Gondar! Looks like it would enhance the enjoyment of just about any blend!

18. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

That is probably the most beautiful meer I've seen, Gondar. I'm seriously considering ordering one now. Very posh!

19. raistlinsk

raistlinsk Member

opps wrong window :)

20. Gondar

Gondar Member

Thank you guys.
    I am as happy as a puppy, and was smiling all the way through the first bowl. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.