1. This forum is for DIY Repair, Maintenance & Restoration. It is not a forum for seeking or soliciting services.

tar in pipe?

Discussion in 'Repair, Maintenance & Restoration' started by Rider, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Rider

Rider Member

hey guys, i was wondering if any of yall know a good way to clean tar out of a pipe. also would this interfere with smoking? thanks :crazysmile:
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Clumsy Poop!

Um, tar where?

If it's built up in the shank, acetone on a pipe cleaner will get it out. Or rum.
  3. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

I am very new here, but I have read that filling the bowl with salt and strong liquor (everclear, vodka, etc.) will pull the 'bad stuff' out of the pipe and into the salt. I am not sure how long it needs to soak or how long the pipe needs to dry out, but I am sure other more experienced guys will chime in soon and give you better advice.
  4. BobT

BobT New Member

Try a bristle type pipe cleaner and avoid alcohol unless nothing else will work. If it's reeeeeally bad you can cut a piece of a wire coat hanger, fold the end to make a handle and use it to "push" the tar into the bowl and then clean it out with a pipe tool and cleaner. Regular cleaning should prevent you having to do this.
  5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I've yet to come across anything a few bristle pipe cleaners can't fix.
  6. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Member

usually a q tip with a bit of voddy on it or for smaller recesses a pipe cleaner with the same do the trick for me...
  7. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

Certainly agree with most of posts so far.

Estate Falcons and pipes that have been designed for a filter can have a build up of hardened tar in the stem - I.ve always soaked them in a bowl with hot water til they cleared, blown them through and done the final clean with whisky soaked pipe cleaners, which worked well,

Best

Gerry
  8. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I agree with most a good cleaning with some strong spirits should do the trick. I watch alot of reviews on you tube and a few of them have how to vids and depending on the type of spirits you use will be how the flavor will be. Use a rum and it will have a rum flavor, whiskey a whiskey flavor. Now i have used everclear to clean a ashy tasteing pipe and it left no after taste at all.
  9. Rider

Rider Member

good point :velho:

its in the bowl. if i go to trim the cake(that doesnt need trimming) i scrape of goopy, tar like stuff.

would a cotton ball/alcohol treatment work?
  10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Stay Calm - Press On Moderator

What? I thought Falcons (like Honda Goldwings) were "dishwasher safe." :velho:

Salt/alcohol or cottonball/alcohol treatment is good for sterilizing, de-tarring and destinking briar bowl/shank all at once. A dirty stem or shank de-gums with a few bristle pipecleaners dipped in booze (or rubbing alcohol). If all this is news to you then be advised alcohol - even a hint of alcohol - will strip pipe finish in a heartbeat. Work slowly/carefully with booze around briar.
  11. Rider

Rider Member

goldwings :velho:

yea, im well aware of alcohol being a stain stripper. :startle:

cool, thanks for the help :velho:
  12. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Get that "crap" outta there! The tar gets soft and easier to move or remove when it's warm. Otherwise, booze will work. May take several cleaners to expel the sludge out. I'm sure the tar build up has a bad impact on your smoke as well. Get it outta there!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
  13. user0003

user0003 Active Member

bah....goldwings......Winger are always spouting off......if you really wanted a H-D why didn't you just get one in the first place? :velho:
    [​IMG]

I've never had to resort to doing the salt treatment to any of my pipes. Just use a cleaner and pipe knife. I use PA or 5bros. to bust any ghosts.
  14. BobT

BobT New Member

A few thoughts on the above posts.

Acetone? Really! I don't think I would care to use that strong stuff in my pipe. Can't help but wonder what it could do to the taste.

As to using booze, the only thing I would consider using to clean a pipe is "pure grain alcohol"... no other type. You can buy it at the liquor store under various names. Only thing wrong with it is that it's taxed by the Feds so it's kind of pricy.

Using a pen knife is fine if you're very careful. Nicking the inside of the pipe bowl with a sharp blade can lead to a burn-out. I would suggest you use a pipe tool or reamer instead. If you still feel you want to use a pen knife, dedicate one to that purpose only and dull the blade so it wont cut the bowl. And don't forget to dull the point too.

I've noticed quite a few posts about Falcon pipes. These pipes go against one of the basic rules I blieve in. THE SMOKE SHOULD NEVER COME IN CONTACT WITH ANY METAL. When hot smoke comes in contact with cold metal what you get is condensation... and that's the last thing you want in a pipe.

I personally don't think the "salt treatment" should be used unless your intention it to completely referbish the pipe. The purpose of it is to take out "all" the taste of the previously smoked tobacco. Essentually, you are trying to start over with a new pipe. I haven't seen if anyone has posted here how to do it so I'll briefly describe the process. Clean the pipe as well as possible with your tools and pipe cleaners. Try to remove all the cake. Stop up the stem with something so nothing can get through. Set the pipe on a plate in an upright position (bowl up). Now fill the bowl with salt. Then slowly full the bowl with "grain alcohol" until it's to the top and make sure it's not seeping out the stem. Let the pipe set for a few hours until the salt/alcohol mix has turned a dirty brown color. Empty the pipe and repeat the process over and over until the mix no longer changes color. Now you about finished. Finally clean the pipe out and rinse it "very well" with water and let it set a few days to dry out. Now it should not have any taste from the old tobacco. That's the theory at any rate....

"dishwasher safe"... no such thing in a good pipe. I shutter at the thought!
  15. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

Nobody's actually right in that hot smoke coming into contact with metal causes condensation and that was exactly the principal that Bugg used when he designed the Falcon and drew up the "Humidome" to catch the condensation or "goo" as he called it.

As this side of the pond we smoke tobacco much moister than is the norm in the U.S.A. and live in an island where it rains most days that's actually why Falcons were and are so poular in the U.K. They really are good at what they do!

Best to all and Happy Smoking

Gerry
  16. BobT

BobT New Member

Hey Gerry... I know the theory but I can't help but question the validity. It's been a lot-a-years but I remember in my younger days trying Falcons, Medico, "The Pipe", etc, etc... and none of them really "tasted" right. I'm glad you enjoy yours but I'll stick with a good briar. Each to his own taste the guy said as he kissed the cow. And by the by (as you English would say) you're not the only one who lives in a humid climate. It's raining out side right now. Cheers...
  17. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

I think that if you wouldn't put it in your mouth don't put it in your pipe. Most spirits and a pipe cleaner should dissolve tar slowly, just work at it.