Taste - It's All In The Snork

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mister Moo, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

You know, it's weird. I've been trying "snorking" on a variety of blends and for some it really makes the experience very enjoyable while for others it maker it feel like one's smoking wet dog hair. I guess it depends on how good the tobacco and casing quality is. For some I can smell the fine and complex tobacco notes for a long time after finishing a bowl and then for others I just have wet dog following me around. Guess this technique is really good for picking tobacco that one is going to enjoy. Man, I love learning from the collective wisdom from this forum!

2. skylarmacrae

skylarmacrae Member

It makes sense that they did though. It was simply indecisiveness on which way they wanted to inhale the smoke.... this time their indecisiveness actually was good for something. :gjob:

mecompco and dBear like this.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

A snork will give you both the good and the bad. It will reveal nuances which would otherwise go unnoticed. Tobacco a bit too wet may come off badly compared to the same thing on the dry side. I also find snorking tells much about the suitability of a given pipe for a given tobacco; ghosts and favorable melds will be apparent with snorking in a way that mouth-smoking may never present, in my humble experience.

And then, sometimes, stuff just doesn't taste good no matter how you smoke it.

ChristTiger, mecompco and dBear like this.
  4. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Like Caramel Rush for example! Hehehe.

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Well, that. It would be Stanwell Melange for me. :D

But I meant sometimes stuff you enjoy Monday-Friday suddenly tastes like worms on Saturday. It happens... unless the pipe needs cleaning I never know why for sure. Maybe the pipe or the tobacco is too wet; maybe a headcold is just getting started; or maybe it was just a rotten tasting wad of tobacco... dunno.

mecompco likes this.
  6. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

An art I'm still trying to master, alas still a slight burning sensation if I'm not v careful :P

CthulhuDawg and mecompco like this.
  7. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

Probably nobody cares, but I feel like sharing another snorking experience.
    I was sitting outside last night, smoking C&D Engine 99 in a Liberty cob and even though I like it, it just felt a little uneventful and the flavor was just dominated by leather and somewhat medicinal profile. So I decided to try snorking. I can confidently say that I've had the most flavorful smoke to date. My senses were immediately loaded with sweetness, earthiness, camp fire, floral/flowery notes, stuff I don't know how to explain... I mean it was just amazing. Ended up doing it so much that I had to stop due to an onset of nic induced headache (it is on a heavy nic side for me), but for a long time afterwards I was sniffing around just to get that sweetness. Really cool. Considering that in the pouch Engine 99 smells like burned leather doused with turpentine, I was really shocked at how sweet it actually was.

8. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I find that another way of getting a different perspective on a tobacco is to take a gentle sniff from above the bowl (say with your nose a couple of inches above the bowl)

I love this smell, I often try it to emulate a room note and eliminate taste from the equation for a moment.

I was tempted to start a thread in this regard, but decided it was on a similar tangent to snorking.

9. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I also do that! It's very pleasant.

mecompco likes this.
  10. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

How have I been smoking pipes for 5 years and missed this?? I guess, in my defense, I am pretty new to the internet-side of it. Hell, it's only been in the last year that I realized the way you pack your pipe affects tongue-bite. Neat info here.

dBear and Mister Moo like this.
  11. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

Went over to my buddy's house today after getting my standard Cavendish/Burley mix from the local smoke shop and lo-and-behold he had a tin of Dunhill 965 for me from his trip to N.C. I started getting my snork on and man oh man..peppery! Very cool though, much different than I'm used to and it certainly does clear out the ol' snotpipes.

12. CthulhuDawg

CthulhuDawg Member

I haven't thought to do that yet but I think I will either later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

13. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

I do this too, that smell is intoxicating.

Lukasaurus likes this.
  14. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

I do that all the time. You learn to sniff gently. A noseful of hot ash is not a pleasant experience.

WalkinStick and Dimik like this.
  15. JKenP

JKenP Member

Being a heavy VaPer, I think I will stick with the Doctor Seuss version of The Snork. As mentioned by Moo and JDev, it clears the sinus cavity with gusto with a VaPer.

ChristTiger likes this.
  16. thedismaltrade

thedismaltrade Member

Have always done this with cigars and now with the pipe. I only do it a few times per bowl/stick. Some baccy will burn your sinuses for days!

Nickus and ChristTiger like this.
  17. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

I snork all but Per. A bit too nippy for me.

+2 It's all in the snork!

dBear likes this.
  18. Sodbuster

Sodbuster Member

I love the virginia/perique snork, but for me, the lat-heavy blends are too much

19. User5385

User5385 Member

I will have to give this a try.

20. conroygc

conroygc Member

I've tried exhaling the tobacco out of my nose (I think with FVF), but it just makes my eyes all watery and wasn't a pleasant sensation. I tried it with 1792 and it was like a Mac truck driving through my face. Anyone else not able to snork?

I try to catch whiffs of the tobacco as it escapes my pipe and my mouth. That's where I find most the flavor.

Old School likes this.