1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Taste Vs. Smell

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JeremyLangford, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyLangford

JeremyLangford Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I'm a newbie slowly learning. I recently bought an estate straight kaywoodie bulldog pipe (from a flea market) that smokes great as well as my first pipe tool. With this new pipe and my first tamper, I never have to light more than twice and I always easily smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I am straying away from the bland aromatics that I started with and have begun to try many non-aromatic blends from a shop near my hometown called Gatlinburlier. With my new, better quality pipe tobacco and pipe, I really enjoy smoking. I never inhale and I try to simply enjoy the taste. However, one thing I've been noticing lately is that it's usually not really the taste to my tongue that I enjoy, but the smell of the smoke as it leaves my mouth. Does this makes sense? Is this normal?
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009

If you can manage to exhale the smoke through your nose once in awhile, this effect is increased.

Lots of people make the mistake of sticking their tongue to the end of the pipe and assuming that it's the best way to get the flavor, but all it leads to is a burnt tongue. If you can get to where you are sipping the smoke and enjoying it for what it is, then you have gone up a notch on the pipe smoking journey ladder.
  3. phinz

phinz Active Member

Jan 9, 2010
    You should come out to Leaf and Ale on Thursday night. It's pipe club time! Last time we had about 10 people, give or take.

I picked up a pound of Gatlinburlier's Smokies Smoke-Eaze English yesterday. I can't wait to see what it does after I've had it in the jar for a year, because I loved it when I stuffed a bowl at the shop.
  4. stummel bum

stummel bum Member

Oct 29, 2009
    That's a great shop to live near. I will definitely second the nose exhale. Really gives you a good taste of the tobacco and brings out the often missed subtle undertones. I too enjoy the room note of most tobaccos and will frequently waft the smoke back into my face after exhaling.
  5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
  6. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Mar 3, 2010
    I notice I get a much better taste when keeping my tongue away from the tip as much as possible. The smoke seems to get under the tongue along with other little places virgin to direct smoke and almost makes the taste explode!
  7. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Dec 25, 2009
    You're actually right - a lot of what we think of as "taste" actually comes from the nose not just the tongue. Think about any time you've ever had a heavy cold with a blocked nose - food drink and smokes just idn't taste the same. Add to the experience - try at least one full bent pipe!

Happy smoking

8. steveestewart

steveestewart Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Jeremy, In the thread Dondi posted, someone suggested I not just 'sip' on the pipe and exhale, but to also try breathing through the pipe. This has really helped me taste a few blends in a different way.

As everyone has told me: Half the fun of pipe smoking is experimenting!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.