1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tastes Like Free Tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Kiowapipe, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

I got a little surprise in the mail today. A large envelope from Dream Castle, containing a honking large tin of something called 'Great Outdoors.' I vaguely remember signing up online for a free sample of something ages ago; I assume this is it. The honking large tin was only about half full, but there must still be 50g here. Tin note is... well, it smells like dip. Skoal Long Cut. Looked it up on TR. Some reviewers compare it to SWR's licorice aroma. SWR does have a mild anise note (as opposed to Borkum Riff's strong anus note) but I'm not getting that from Great Outdoors, it just smells like dip to me. The cut is a little reminiscent of SWR, though. Coarse cut burley with a little color variation. I let some dry on my desk for a couple hours. It was still wet and sticky. Loaded a little in my claydog for testing (sorry, David!). It tastes... like free tobacco. Not bad, really. A light, biteless aromatic. No nasty chemical flavor despite the tin aroma. I can tell that it's at least mostly tobacco. A little burley and a little cavendish. Apparently this blend is supposed to be a remake of Field & Stream. Perhaps I travel in the wrong circles, because I'd never heard of Field & Stream before (then again, maybe my circles are just fine). All in all I'm pretty surprised with how mild and sort of pleasant it is. I'll definitely smoke a few more bowls before making up my mind, but I can't see it being something I'd ever buy. Not bad, though, Dream Castle, not bad. And thanks for the free smoke.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

That would definitely explain the general aversion to Borkum Riff.

Enjoy your free tobacco!

Field & Stream is a long-ago discontinued OTC blend. I think former President Gerald Ford smoked it.

Capt and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

4. dmkerr

Based on his noteworthy presidency, I'd say it relaxed him.

DMWyatt and Mark w4mms like this.
  5. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Bingo on the Borkum Riff! :puke:

6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I tried Field & Stream back when HOW was producing it. Didn't care for it then. It kinda surprises me that several companies produce cross-overs for their blends. C&D have some as well. Some were good, but it seems like House of Windsor would have been able to make a go of it if they were really that popular. I might consider trying Sutliffe's Man's Best Friend or C&D's Junkyard Dawg, as HOW's Barking Dog was pretty decent.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Nothing wrong travelling in circles, Kiowa...so long as you haven't a foot nailed to the floor during the attempt. I say widen your arc beyond Sutliffe.

I know, I know...free.

Mington likes this.
  8. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

We've got Sutliff St George's Blend and it is quite nice. It's a black Cavendish and VA with a black cherry topping. Not gooey or overly wet. A very nice aro.:)

9. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Great Outdoors is the only blend from Altadis that I've ever been able to smoke and not feel the need to cut my tongue off afterwards. I don't know about anise, but I agree it smells like dip when you first open it. I let it sit in the tin opened for about a month before I dug into it, and I just get vanilla from it when I smoke it. It's a very light aromatic that seems somewhat neutral when it comes to room note. I actually don't mind it, but I doubt I'd actually buy any once it's all gone. For the $12-15 a tin of Great Outdoors costs, I can buy enough PA to last me about a month.

10. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

LOL relaxed nearly to the point of non-existence. When I name off the presidents of the 20th century, he's usually the one I have a hard time remembering. The school textbooks seemed to have forgotten him as well. Him and the peanut farmer.

11. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I got my free GO last year, and I agree with your above opinions. Vanilla for me, and mild. It was fine.

As a side note. My sister & I ended up with one of the puppies from President Ford's (White House) dog, Liberty. Boss lived for nearly 20 yrs. He was a beautiful Golden Retriever, that was very much like his mother's master. Very laid back, kind, a little clumsy ... and couldn't play golf worth a damn.

Kiowapipe likes this.
  12. Jay

Jay Active Member

I think many of us got the freebie Great Outdoors. It is what it is. Free weed.

13. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Field and Stream was once very popular. Was not a bad mixture in it's day. As to Ford, I would take him again versus you know who we have now!

14. dmkerr

:haha:

As my long-deceased grandfather used to say (he was known for being overly leisurely during his retirement years): "I'd rather do nothing well than do something badly!".

15. dmkerr

I actually enjoy a lot of HOW blends. They just didn't retain their popularity beyond the 1970's or so. Not sure why. I'd smoke Revelation or Union Leader or Mapleton over PA, CH, and most of the popular OTC's of today.

Ok, Briggs, Argosy and Bond/Bourbon Street were pretty bad. Field and Stream was, too. Oh, well... :msty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.