1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tasting Blend Components, A New Approach

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Albert, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

I've always thought I would gain the most understanding about what a blend component (i.e Virginia, Burley, etc) would taste like if I smoked blends that singled them out exclusively, and that has worked to a point, but when I smoked blends, all the components seemed to meld together into one flavor I couldnt really pick apart. Last night, by chance I came across a new method for tasting a certain components roll in a blend.

First, smoke a lat bomb. I smoked a 1+ hour bowl of Pirate Kake. So basically as far as my taste buds go, Latakia has now been eliminated from my palate.

Then load blend B. For me it was lancer's slices. And wow! I tasted nothing but excellent virginias and in turn helped me nail down what flavor role virginias play in many of my blends because I was able to isolate its flavor within a blend I love.

I imagine this method would work in many combinations. if not, oh well, it made for 2 awesome smokes :toast:

Old Codger and dwaugh like this.
  2. buistd

buistd Active Member

Good strategy that. I smoked a couple of latakia blends back to back with Bluepipe the other week. One was dominated by Va and the other by Orientals. It was a great way to discover what each type of leaf added to the blends.

3. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I should try that, I not very good at picking out different tobaccos.

Spillproof and Rodfather like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Interesting!

As an occasional amateur blender, I just smoked everything straight and that works to a degree. Lemon, orange and red virginias take quite different from one another, ditto various burleys, and of course latakia and perique are very unique. But orientals are tough. Most oriental I find is a blend of several, so it's hard to pick out the various ones. The McClellands Grand Oriental series is a good start there, once you get the taste of virginia down.

But I like your method.

Albert likes this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

This. I have no idea about the various Oriental varieties. I think one is Izmir, but that's kind of confusing since that makes me think of Turkey, and some people call Turkish just "Turkish", so I don't get all that. Thanks to House of Calabash, I recognize "Turkish" when it makes an appearance, though. In fact, HOC has helped me immensely with picking out component tobaccos because they are all represented perfectly, but separately, in Steve's blends.

Need to try Grand Orientals, though. Sounds interesting.

Albert likes this.
  6. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Now try smoking a bowl of pure perique and you'll be able to nail down that flavor.

Let us know how you like it :p:

Bump, Jammer and Albert like this.
  7. Albert

Albert Active Member

Got some?

8. Bump

Bump Member

JescoWhite said:
    Now try smoking a bowl of pure perique and you'll be able to nail down that flavor.​

Let us know how you like it :p:
    Got some?

If you seriously want to try pure perique, my B&M sells it, I can mail you some.

9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I tried it and I died :45 later. May I rest in peace.:dh2:

Old Codger, Bump and dwaugh like this.
  10. Bump

Bump Member

When I was much younger I smoked a bowl of pure Latakia. I still remember that walk in the woods. I seriously thought I was going to die. Amazingly enough it did not turn me off from the pipe.

11. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I've had something like that happen. After I smoked my first straight VA (McClelland #5100), for a few weeks afterwards all I could taste was VA in any blend with even the slightest hint of it, which is most of them. It took a while for my taste buds to get their perspective back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.