1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Tax refund comes in, tax refund goes out. You can't explain that.

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by fuerve, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuerve

fuerve Member

But for want of an explanation, I can at least account for it.

From back to front:
    • Cassano calabash-style (I love the shape)
    • Winslow Crown #300 sitter
    • Peterson churchwarden dublin
    [​IMG]

There will be smoking.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got a decent chunk of money back. I might be able to squeeze in a little money for a pipe and a little tobacco when I get mine back, but I have to use most of it for bills.

Those are nice pipes. I especially like the Peterson. Enjoy!

3. fuerve

fuerve Member

I did end up using most of it for bills, but there was enough for a little bit of fun. Ten years ago, I'd have gone and blown it on less socially acceptable forms of leisure and never had anything to show for it, but now, as I type, I'm working a cozy little blend through the Winslow and I regret naught!

Elwin likes this.
  4. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

If i'm lucky i'll get enough back for a cob and an ounce. You've done well.

cobbsmoker, ol gto, Lestrade and 2 others like this.
  5. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nothing quite like a spot of instant spending money...

Ozark Nick likes this.
  6. Elwin

Elwin Member

Gotta put that money right back into circulation - it's good for the economy!

(Sorry - I was just practicing my excuse. Think anyone will buy it?)

:D

7. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

Nice haul, there!

I always say the less you get back, the better. ;) ... Unless you owe. :( Lyin', cheatin', thievin' government...

8. NBPipe

NBPipe Member

At least you have your priorities in order! Diggin that Churchwarden!

9. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Nice! Congrats!

10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Nice haul. Congrats and enjoy!

ol gto likes this.
  11. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Yep! I want the government holding onto my money interest-free like I need a 4th belly button. I try to get my refund as close to zero as possible.

EmperorGix, FlatbushPaul and Scottly like this.
  12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Very nice! Enjoy!

Paul

13. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Really nice pick-ups! My tax return is probably going to more mundane things, as I have several bills eagerly awaiting. I might get myself a small treat, but we'll see.

14. snowman

snowman Member

I like how you think.:toast:

15. fuerve

fuerve Member

My first impressions of these pipes:

The Winslow feels nice to hold and I like how it draws. I haven't owned a pipe with a wide bit like this one before and I noticed that I had to draw a little differently in order to avoid tonguebite right off the bat. I also like the fact that I can just set the thing down on any reasonably flat surface. There's something to be said for that. The bowl is very thick and so I have a feeling that this one is going to come in handy when I feel like smoking a bit hot (which is pretty much always), or when working on something at home (which is also pretty much always).

I've never smoked a churchwarden before, the Peterson being my first. I had to make some adjustments in order to start getting used to it. First, the bowl is very thin and the draw through the long stem is very effective, so I have to be extremely careful not to overheat it. However, I really like the long draws that I get through it. Seems like it would be a good one to have if there's a guest over - promotes cool burning so there's less smoke at any one time, doesn't clog up the mouth or encourage holding the bit with the teeth, so promotes being an active participant in a dialog. We don't get a lot of guests, so I'll have to make sure this one's clean and cool the next time the Mormons come knocking.

I had an interesting experience with the Cassano. I feel like I just truly tasted Mac Baren's Virginia #1 for the first time since I bought the tin. It took me a while to get there. I had to get it pretty hot, and the Cassano doesn't like a hot burn (or rather, my fingers don't like it when I'm burning hot inside the bowl). But I'm pretty sure that once I break this pipe in, it's going to be awesome for that blend. I'm excited to try other stuff through it.

The one thing I didn't get to do was to smoke a cavendish blend through any of these pipes. Last time I lit up a cavendish, my wife had an allergic reaction that does not occur when I smoke burley or whatever. I really want to try a wetter blend through the Peterson in particular, so I'll have to wait until she's not around and give it a go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.