Ted's F-150 Pressed Plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Albert, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert

Albert Active Member

Ted, a member here, and resident Grabow Guru, was kind enough to send me a plug of burley that grew in his fields. He pressed it using his Ford F-150 and used nothing but a touch of honey as the binder.
    [​IMG]

I did a rough, GLP style cut on a bit of it and popped it into a Spillcob. I read a trick for smoking 5 bros. that said to just cup a bunch in your hand an breathe a few slow deep breaths onto it, which the burley will quickly soak up the humidity and be smoke ready. It worked great for this as it was fairly dry. This was my first go at smoking Pure un-cased burley and I was pleasantly surprised. Having read that people don't generally like straight from the field burley, I found it to be a great smoke. Easy burn, cool soft smoke, no bite and a nice "earthy" flavor. I wouldn't at all really describe it as "nutty" as I hear used as a description often. It was more like burning fall leaf pile taste, but in a good way. I'm going to play around with mixtures and such and see what role this burley can play. I was surprised that there was plenty of nic for what felt like such a light smoke. For someone who tends to smoke strong flavored smokes, I can now see how you could just have a pipe full of straight burley burning all day long.

Thank you Ted!

Beefcube, fogpipe, Jeebs and 6 others like this.
  2. Latakia Nights

Latakia Nights Member

Looks great, sounds great.

3. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Pressed it with his F-150? What did he do, just put it between some boards and drive over it or something?

In any case, very cool stuff!

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Burley :) :drly:

Wildcat, Thuber88 and Albert like this.
  5. Albert

Albert Active Member

I'd like to describe an elaborate process, but essentially, yes. It involved wood and a truck. Now that's COUNTRY!!!

psquared, Wildcat, bubbagump and 4 others like this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

He was also kind enough to send me some of his tobacco (unpressed for me though). It was a touch dry when I smoked it, but I found it to have a very rich and earthy taste to it. I think I'll be bombarding him with subtle hints over the next few years...

Thuber88 and Albert like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

:beck: Ya know , I've got a couple small meadows .I'd like to till a section up one day and plant some burley too .. the problem is I've got a list of :poop: ahead of it , much of what will take a year to get done < sigh > One day I will have this place the way I see it in my head providing I live long enough . I wonder , do Deer eat tobacco ? Probably not , right ? If so , that would make it a bigger project yet . I applaud Ted and Jeebs for being able to grow tobacco ... heck , as far as I'm concerned , it should be taught to 6th graders :beck: Wouldn't it be great if ya came home from work one day and your kids said ... hey , Pop ... I made some Burley flake for you ... it's better than Golden Extra ! Boy , would I be proud :beck:

Albert and Thuber88 like this.
  8. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

As Long as they don't smoke it all before you get home..

ruffinogold and Albert like this.
  9. ted

ted Member

Yep,
    I like my burley cake at 3/4 inch. Didn't have enough burley, so this little skinny one was all that could be done.
    Pressed first under 100 pounds to get started...Then.... two 4x4 oak boards with 2 smaller square steel plates under the right front tire of a F-150. Heaviest thing I've got..

Al, I'll do better in October when the next crop is ready... ted

10. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

badass that all i got to say and i love the name Ted's F-150 blug hehe

ted, 12GA, Albert and 2 others like this.
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

Ted's the Man!

ted, Albert and ruffinogold like this.
  12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Way to go Ted...

Albert and ted like this.
  13. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Very nice! Well done all around. :gjob:

14. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Makes me wish I had gone for some. Sounds like a good working tobacco.

15. fogpipe

fogpipe Member

Man that is just totally cool. Im a big burley fan, must be great to get some in such a relatively pristine state.

16. PeterBurleyman

PeterBurleyman Member

Ted very kindly sent me a bag of burley leaves a couple of years back. I opened up the bag and found the leaves wrapped in newspaper. I cut them up to remove the stems, as Ted suggested, and put the shreds in a jar. Still smoking it from time to time. Fantastic smoke, and has got much better with age. I rate it as high as any manufactured burley. I was going to try growing some here in my garden, but they have made cultivation illegal.
    Ted is a most generous man, and very helpful with questions about Dr Grabow,

17. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

I hope you don't mind a question -- where is growing tobacco for personal use illegal (where is your garden)?

18. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

[​IMG]

Johnny Dingo and ted like this.
  19. PeterBurleyman

PeterBurleyman Member

Yes, I live in Abu Dhabi, and about two years ago all tobacco cultivation was banned. Don't know why. In fact I was a bit worried when Ted sent it over, back in 2009 or 2010. Luckily it passed through customs without any difficulty.

There are some very odd rather green looking leaves cultivated in neibouring Oman, and the locals smoke it in very small pipes, which give you about one puff per fill. Very strong stuff.

Ted's blend has survived about three years in a jar. A little dry, but as I said, very good flavour. I probably smoke it about once a quarter. It is a bit like Daughters and Ryan Two Timer, and much lighter than the C&D burleys.

Wildcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.