Terrific "Unknown" Blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pauljmjr, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pauljmjr

pauljmjr Member

A few months ago, I bumped into a blend by accident while poking aroung the P&C website. It is called Starlit Night and it is a special limited edition blend made by McClelland for P&C. It is a Latakia blend with Orientals, which is a combo that I love. So I picked up a tin, and was floored by how great it is. I've since aquired a few more tins and this has become a real favorite. I've been smoking these types of blends for many years, and this one is as good as any that I've tried. I think that if a lot of people who like this style of blend tried this one, it would become very popular. Made me wonder about other blends that you've run into that you think are great, but that are mostly unknown.

2. Summit

Summit Live Simply.

:popc:

pauljmjr likes this.
  3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

SG Dixie Pride................, impossible to find but awesome stuff. :)
    [​IMG]

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. user3610

user3610 Member

McClelland makes a blend called RSVP Invitation that my local shop sells in bulk. It's an amazing cavendish (if that's your cup of tea) that I never hear about on the forums.

5. UberHuberMan

UberHuberMan Member

Bombay Extra isn't exactly "Unknown," but it is a bit of sleeper blend that I don't hear about very often. It's an incredibly good English with a bit of perique for an added zip. Here's the trick, it's not amazing fresh, but put some age on it and some pretty impressive stuff happens. ;)

6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Schurch English blends, which are, so far as I know, available only from Synjeco in Switzerland, makes some of the best blends on the market. Hardly anybody in the US knows about them, and if they were sold here, the company would make a fortune. The shipping prices are sky high, but if you can afford that, buy them. My favorites are Onyx (gonna miss it when my stash runs out), Tarek Robusto (wonderfully spicy, much better than Balkan Sasieni), Torina (possibly the closest thing to Balkan Sobraine I've smoked), Zaffiro, and Mogano.They also make aromatics, but the only one I've tried is Rubino, which I enjoyed.

Peter Heinrichs #39 is never mentioned anywhere either. My favorite English of theirs.

Spillproof likes this.
  7. buistd

buistd Sales Account

White's tobacconist in Southampton, UK sell a home blend called Frank's Mixture that was originally blended for a regular customer in the 1920s (bluepipe may correct me on the date). It's got some Virginia, oriental and latakia and it is absolutely fantastic. I only had 20 grams of it but it is right up there with my favourites.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I just finished a tin of Butera's Royal Vintage Latakia #2 which turned out to be an excellent blend of latakia, orientals and virginia with a touch of cavendish. That one doesn't seem to get a lot of airplay. It's supposed to be based on the old John Cotton's #1 and #2, which I smoked a fair bit of way back when. It seems to be similar but my "taste memory" is far from infallible. But it's worth a try if you're into sweet, creamy latakia blends.

9. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Dan, is it anyway near Oriental # 14 to your tastebuds?

10. dmkerr

As I recall #14, it's not that far off. But to me, it tasted like the base was Royal Cajun Ebony, and the lat and orientals were on top. Kind of different from anything else I remember.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind smoking the two back to back.

jpberg likes this.
  11. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

I think 2013 will be a year that this forum will discover blends from Mr books. I have 3 blends on the way and I have really high hopes for them.

Calvinandpipe, dmkerr and Rodfather like this.
  12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

There's some blending houses that dont get brought up often for sure . Fribourg & Treyer is one of them . They probably have a dozen blends of which the Vintage Flake is very nice . James Fox make some nice blends . Dorisco , being a ruff cut vaper is real popular but not brought up except for Dondi . Then you have all the pipe maker named blends . I dont know if anyone takes them seriously . I had a very good Nording blend but forget which it was . Theres Poul Winslow , Jess Chonowitch , Savinelli , Karl Erik , Mastro de Paja , Brebbia and Reiner blends which seem to be only smoked by the upper crust of PSF :beck: The one that freaks me out the most , even though it's sometimes mentioned , is J.F. Germain blends . Their whole line is at least good and some great ! The King Charles English Blend is a super nice easy going blend . When I first got on here I thought there would be alot of chat about Germain . Oh , theres this blend by MacBaren called :nwor: Latakia blend ... it's the worst named blend in the world [ not much Latakia ] but is maybe the best blend there is ! Ya know what .. MacBaren Solent is a fantastic blend also .. a very mild English that would be awesome for someone just wanting to dip their toes into Latakia for the first time . The saddest is a blend called Golden Extra .. I dont think I or anyone ever mentions it ;)

13. dmkerr

I just ordered my half pound of First Pipe and 5 samples. Going through the samples now. Grandfathers Own is an excellent aromatic.

Then again, I'm not sure this forum will want to pay those prices!

David Emond likes this.
  14. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

For "unknown"...my $.02 would be random house blends. i.e. My favorite at the moment is a blend that I randomly picked off the Milan Tobacconists website (Black Forest). While they seem to be fairly well known on this forum, I would imagine that there are plenty of pipe smokers out there (folks that don't get online) that have never heard of them.

15. David Emond

The prices are bellow what i would be paying up here so im more then happy to support him and his shop and in return i know im getting top of the line stuff.

its a win win situation for me.

16. BigG

BigG Member

+1. When tobaccomkt.com closed this out a few years ago, I took a flyer & picked up a few tins. Glad I did. Made by Samuel Gawith for Royal Cigar & Pipes in Atlanta around 2001, it's a dark strong rum-topped VA that is absolutely delicious.

For something readily available that many might find "unknown", I'd suggest Peretti's Cuban Mixture. Probably the most complex pipe tobacco I've ever tried.

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

You wouldn't happen to want to part with a tin would old buddy old pal? :D

18. bigbird48

bigbird48 Member

I got a couple of ounces of something called "Black Stuff" at the local pipe shop in LaCrosse, WI. It's a house blend and it's fantastic. Burns cool, great room note, a bit on the chocolate side, but not overpowering. Next time I go in to get more, I'll have to find out what the blend is.

19. jediknight129

jediknight129 Member

so you guys would definitely suggest exploring house blends from a tobacconist that really seems to care about their pipe smokers? like theres one or 2 blends I have seen where the guy admits that its kept in stock for one regular. or say its worth trying new or limited blends done for a pipe club or for a season. just in case you find that one holy grail smoke?

David Emond likes this.
  20. David Emond

Most house blends are just a relabeled blend from a big producer like Lane. But from time to time you will find a real in house blend. I purchased some blends this past summer from a big pipe house in Montreal thinking that they made the blend themself and nope on the pouch it was write made in usa. But there are so many pipe shops you never know maybe someone will be blending in house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.