1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tewksbury & Co

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nuck81, Jun 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Just made my first order after reading some reviews on Tobacco Reviews.

I guess it's a little late now, but anyone had any experiences or recommendations?

2. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

[​IMG]

Received my order today. I've never smoked anything but Captain Black White and Prince Albert. It smells amazing, particularly the Hobbits Weed. I'm anxious to dive in. Too bad I only have two pipes...

3. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Nice haul, Nuck! I don't have any experience with their blends, but looking forward to your impressions. Good excuse for a little PAD, don't you think?

Herb

4. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Nice haul! The only blend of theirs I've had the pleasure of smoking was a gift sample from a friend out in Denver.
    Nosferatu is a nice medium English with just a hint of anise. I really enjoyed it...should have ordered more. Guess I'l have to remedy that........

5. DocB

DocB Active Member

Good-looking pile of smoke there Nuck... Now get busy!!!

6. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Thanks!!

I'm not sure how informative my impressions will be considering my inexperience and ignorance.

I've had one bowl of the Hobbits Weed so far, and was pretty surprised to have a smoke that had actual flavor. I thought the CBW tasted pretty good, but now that I've had a real high quality tobacco it really just tastes like vanilla tinted ash.

The Hobbits Weed smells like Candy. I think it almost has a sweet tartish smell to it, it tasted sweet and smooth, but smoked a little hot, probably because I'm not used to having a tobacco be that wet.

I'm very anxious to see the difference in all the different samples. The smells through the bags are amazing...

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I got a good chuckle out of this! :xd:

If it's smoking hot, and a little on the wet side, put a bowlfull out on your counter or desk and dry it for 15 minutes. If it's still damp, go for 15 more. When it's a little moist, but not clumpy and damp, try it and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and hope to see your comments on the others. I've never ordered from them either, but have checked out their site. Might end up being something to add to the TAD list.

8. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Have been gone for a week on Vacation in the Smokie Mountains.

Bar Harbour- I really thought I had found something amazing in Hobbits Weed, but really Bar Harbour is by and far my new favourite. If you like coffee then this blend is right up your alley. The coffee smell is strong from the bag and even stronger on the draw. As the smoke rolls over your taste buds it gives a very strong and very definitive Coffee flavor. The room note given off is almost as strong as a brewing pot in the morning. The aftertaste is vanilla with almost no linger of coffee. I tend to be a fast puffer (aren't most noobs?) but this smoke refuses to bite, unlike the bag of local I picked up in Gatlinburg TN, which sets my tongue on fire for about an hour after I smoke.

Bar Harbour is my new favorite, and I am putting in an order for a large tin this coming week. Something I haven't even done with Hobbits Weed yet....

9. Beale

Beale Active Member

Thanks for the reviews! I have not smoked any of them, but glad you are liking the Bar Harbour. Beale.

10. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Havana Club- Really only one word I can think of to describe this blend.....Dark. I smoked this out of my favorite Country Gentleman. No real flavor could stand out for me, but I during the draw I kept getting a subtle flash to the after taste when sipping a strong Rum and Coke. Kind of how the strength of the Alcohol totally neutralizes the sweetness of a Coca-Cola and you are left with just the relaxing weight of darkness, that's my sensation when drawing this blend. I can't really comment on the Room note, as I didn't notice one, but room notes are hard for me to pick up if I'm the smoker unless they are striking and strong like from Hobbits Weed or Bar Harbour. I also experienced an almost timelessness as I puffed away. It may sound a little silly but I sat in front of the TV during my smoke and everything seemed to slow down. Pretty neat feeling. This is also the first smoke I've had were I made it all the way to the bottom without a relight. It probably has more to do with me gaining experience with packing, rhythm and tamping than the blend though. I would rank this below Bar Harbour and Hobbits Weed, but above the OTC's and Tobacco I picked up in Gatlinburg TN. Not a daily smoker for me, but one I could see going to after a particularly taxing day or a really cold night.

11. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I was just curious, what blend you picked up in Gatlinburg?.. I'm guessing you bought it at The Gatliburlier, I kmow the owner,and stop in any time I'm up that way.

12. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Yes it was the Gatlin Burlier.

I wanted to spend a lot more time browsing and nosing around, but it was incredibly busy and the single worker had 20 people asking him questions all at the same time. Not to mention my Fiance was tapping her feet at the door. Lord Forbid I spend ten minutes looking in a store that interests me when there were 40 more T-Shirt and Craft shops that all sell the same thing to spend and hour each in....

The Blend I bought was called "Santa Puffer". Being a Rookie and not wanting to bother the Gentleman that was running his butt off, I just looked at the packaged blends, and bought the one with the best smell. I also picked up a $2.00 tamp to replace the Golf Tee I had been using. I really wish I could have spent a lot more time there, as it was the first "legit" tobacco store I had been in. In my town all the toby stores have CHEAP CIGS painted on the walls.

I hope I didn't sound overly critical about the Gatlin Burlier. Without knowing I just picked up a blend my palette simply wasn't ready for. Hopefully I can grow into it...

13. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, you need to go back and spend a little more time there.. Ira, the owner is a really nice guy, ad they do have some pretty good blends. I need to get back up there myself, I have been in the place since '06.

14. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

Celtic Blend- This is the first blend that I just flat out don't like. I've smoked three bowls all with a different pipes and this blend just has a sourness to it I can't get into. Sour may not be the right word, but it's a brightness and tartness to the draw. Maybe bitter is a better description. A positive is you can not get it to bite and I puff away on the stuff to get it over with. But that's been par for pretty much all the Tewksbury blends I've had.

So yeah, this is my first stinker. I probably won't touch the stuff very often except maybe to remind myself that I don't like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.