Thankfully discontinued blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Oct 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Heh, heh.... sure you didn't. :whis:

Skiballa likes this.
  2. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Bond Street, I think, was the name. It had a really cool wrapper with an image of an old timey English tobacco shop on it, but within lurked a pretty poor impersonation of an "English" blend. It turned me off to further exploring "English" blends for a good three years or so. London Dock is another gnarly blend from the past. It had a flavor profile that remined me of M79, but doused with Old Spice aftershave and cheap rum. I got LD as a Christmas present back in the 1980's, and it was part of a sampler set that came in little square tins. I thought it was decent enought the first couple of times that I smoked it, but then the Old Spice and cheap rum quality began to sneak in.

Of course, there are a metric azz ton of vanilla, rum, and whiskey flavored blends that have gone extinct. Not all of them were particularly bad, but none of them were particularly good and they all pretty much tasted the same. However, there is one blend I wish would come back - Irish Meade. I kind of liked that blend, and I wonder what my opinion of it would be some 20 or 30 years later.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Forgot one - Dunhill Golden Hours. Didn't last very long, and with good reason. It was Dunhill's foray into aromatics and it was an unqualified failure.

I see tins of it every so often on Ebay. Nasty, awful stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.