1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Thanks to the PSF folks for recommending cobs!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Mike Berger, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

Okay guys! I gotta say a HUGE thank you to all of you that praise the cobs...picked up a $4 MM "Original" at Edward's today and couldn't BELIEVE what an excellent smoking little pipe this is!

It has a smaller chamber(about the same as my Grabow) so it's only about a 45 minuter but OH MY!! Smooth smoking, fits the hand perfectly, light and airflow is perfect...now I'm thinking there might be a couple more MM cobs in my future as well!

My PAD can't TAKE ANY MORE!!:ohyh:

RTOdhner and Beale like this.
  2. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I love my cobs. I smoke burleys and English blends in mine. I think the natural flavor of the cob and burley just go together excellently.

3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Ah, but they are so affordable. We each seem to have our favorite shapes, so try a little variety. Country Gentleman, Diplomats, Great Danes all have larger bowls, on par with many "normal" sized briars. Your are hooked (or doomed), so you might as well enjoy it. Treat it with the same respect you do for your briars and it will just get better. Forget the hogwash about them not needing breaking in and should be abused. Treat it right and it will treat you right for many years.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

But that's what's great about them, Mike: your PAD CAN take more. For what one modestly priced briar costs, you can have a half dozen or more of these little devils. When I bought my "first" cobs (in quotes because I already owned a Legend, but I prefer a larger bowl most of the time), I thought two would be enough, since I already owned twenty-odd briars, but boy was I wrong! Good thing my cobs bounce back so quickly, as I find myself smoking one of them about every other day, sometimes more often, even. My favorite things in cobs are Virginia flakes; I like 'em in briars, too, but there's nothing like a cob for them. I've got two more cobs on the way, and plan to get more still. Great pipes, and cheap. How can you lose?

Enjoy!

Herb

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

All new pipe smokers should have a few cobs. You have plenty of time to get fancy later on. And you maybe decide that you want to stick with cobs. Either way they are great pipes.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thats good news ! They are a blast and you can bag a variety w/ out killin the wallet . I perfer the CG ... for that sophisticated look :bing:

7. Damon

Damon Member

I ordered mine last monday they haven't arrived yet but I am excited none the less. I ordered 4 American - Patriot - Bent.
    I too would would like to thank the forum for suggesting cobs.

Beale and HCraven like this.
  8. Beale

Beale Active Member

I am very glad to hear you like your Cobs! Great smokers for sure! Beale.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

Great that you like your cobs!!!!!
    I've got two now but am already considering getting another one. Maybe I should get one this afternoon.... oh dear! Here we go!!!!
    That would make it THREE COBS IN JUST ONE WEEK!!!!:bing:

10. DGErwin11

And that's a problem, how?

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

Not a problem really.... I'm just waiting for the rain to stop and then ..... I'LL GET IT!!!!!!!!!!:byg:

12. Charles

Charles Member

Get a Forever Stem for them! I have 2...the churchwarden and a nice white one. Really improves the quality. Even if you get 30 cobs you can use the same FS with all of them. I never thought I would get a white stem but god its beautiful on a cob for some reason! The Warden is killer! And if you want bigger bowls try the General, Freehand, and MacArthur. Also the guys at Walker also sell cobs with a nice nickle band for like $5 more. Adds a bit of sophistication to your cob.

13. DGErwin11

I love my cobs (all 14 of them) but never thought they should look sophisticated until I got an amber colored tortoise FS stem for a Country Gentleman. Now I wish I had gone the extra $'s to get it banded.

14. Mike Berger

Mike Berger Member

I've since learned the proper name for the "model" I have is the Legend, I do like the Country Gentleman and the Patriot as well..now I wish I had waited a bit before picking up so many briars! HA! Oh well, I'll chalk that up to my (missing) youth!

Have a great day folks!

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like cobs alright. For the price, they simply can't be beat. But if money were no object, I'd go with briar over cob every time.

16. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Good to hear you like your cobs. You can buy a prettier briar pipe, but I don't know if you can buy one that smokes appreciably better. I've got over 20 briars, and I like just about all of them. However, only a handful see any regular use. I have 14 cobs (12 regular smokers and two travel pipes) that see far more action than the briars - and I'm planning to buying about six more cobs. Then I'll slowly upgrade them with Forever Stems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.