that MacBaren taste?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ATXPipe, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Has anybody else noticed that MacBaren blends have their own unique flavor? Every one I've tried so far (Navy Flake, GE, BLB, and ODF) have this really unique flavor on the snork, it's like a lightly citrus or ginger type thing...super light, and I'm fully willing to admit that "maybe it's just me" because I certainly get a lot of really great tobacco flavor as well, there's just this one little unknown taste that I've never had before I delved into this MacBaren phase of my smoking experience.

By the way, hi, I've been reading these threads on my iPhone almost every day but haven't posted here in a very long time...sorry to lurk, things have been busy.

BradNTX and YAPPG like this.
  2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't taste it with Club Blend so much, but I have tasted it with GE, Navy Flake, and even Mixture Flake. I like it, especially the citrus-ginger hint when snorking GE.

3. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I notice it in H&H Acadian Perique. It's mild but definitely there. It's much more prominent in the Va No. 1 so I figured that's what MB Va tastes like.

4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

If that is true, than I much prefer it to the McClelland VA taste...

ATXPipe likes this.
  5. BigG

BigG Member

I was told by a very respected tobacconist that MacBaren uses prune juice to flavor their tobaccos. I don't think he was BS'ing me. Anyone else heard this?

6. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

I don´t know, but if it´s true it´s a nice way to get ones vitamines.

7. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

So what? Surely thats not the only flavoring they use.

8. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Yes indeed. And I've grown pretty keen on it over the years. Cracking a tin of Mac Baren never disappoints.

I used to think it was honey fragrance, but now it strikes me more as caramelized sugar or maple sugar. The exact formula of the trademark Mac Baren aroma is probably a carefully guarded secret. People might claim to know what it is, but I'd be highly skeptical short of a detailed chemical analysis.

Prune juice? It's also possible, I suppose, that extraterrestrials assassinated JFK. These are all just wild guesses until someone provides actual evidence or proof.

David Emond likes this.
  9. Trauma

Trauma Active Member

For a second I thought this thread was called "That MacBaren Burn"

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Mac Baren's does indeed have a "house flavor". Most blending houses do. Whenever I'm blind tested, the first thing I try to ascertain is if it tastes like a GLP or a H&H or a C&D or whatever. Mac Baren's are hard to mistake, although certain blends from other blenders are similar.

I think it's good to have a trademark flavor underlying each different blend.

11. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

That honey taste i very apparent in Mixture flake.

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Raisin/prune is a very common topping of virginia based blends, from what I understand. I don't know of any Mac Baren tobaccos that use it. Some might, but the spun-cut ones don't, according to Per Jensen - he said they are boiled in maple syrup/water mix. I think the rest of the lighter Macs have honey in there somewhere, possibly other condiments... never though of ginger.

If you told me that Solent had a prune topping I would believe you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.