That Panic Moment...

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coda, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

...when you get passed the half way point of your tub of PA. Looks like I have some ordering to do...

What tobacco do you keep on hand, re-ordering when you start to get low? Do you have one or two blends? Or do you re-supply all of you tobacco varieties?...

BernardLerring and fishnbanjo like this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

The only blend I have to order online is bulk McClelland #2010 and I usually order 2-3 pounds at a time, my other favorite tobaccos I can get locally, a short drive from the house.

jdto likes this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I'd like to get my PA at my local shop, but where online, I can get two tubs for about $60, shipped, two tubs from my local would run me $75+, gas included...

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I'm fortunate to have a JR Cigars close to me or if I'm lazy they'll ship it to my door for $5...:ohyh:

5. Squidpanda

Squidpanda Member

I'm still new to the pipe game (2 years) and still have yet to try everything I want. Each month I order 4 or 5 tins and keep notes on them. The one I have re ordered the most at this point is Frog Morton on the Town.

gentimmy, MikeInMaine and Old Codger like this.
  6. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

As I have only been cellaring for a couple years when I got to my last few ounces of McC 5100 and 2000 I have re-ordered, apart from those the tobaccos I would like to get more of are not available regularly (stonehaven and kingfisher).

7. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I order all of my tobacco on line, including CH and SWR, as it is much cheaper than here in Florida. I order CH and SWR by the tub. I have an unopened tub of both that I don't touch and, when my opened tubs get about half way done, I order a replacement. I occasionally purchase Lane 1Q and RLP-6 locally at the B&M Cig outlet store.

Thuber88 likes this.
  8. Robin

Robin Member

I am very blessed to have an excellent pipe/ cigar shop in my small town, and I get my tobacco there. The place is called Williams Tobacco Shop, and he has some out of this world blends by the ounce, as well as all the major OTC brands as well. I currently have on hand out of their blend selection, CC Cavendish, and Golden Moon, and PA and CH for the cobs. I'm still looking for an OTC to stock up a tub or two of to go with my "survival" supplies, don't ever want to run out of tobacco! The CH is in the running, having just beaten out PA. :)

Thuber88 likes this.
  9. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

My TAD has gotten a little out of hand. i.e. I have an extra tub of CH and SWRA.

10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Personally I have to worry about cat food more than tobacco, not that I have much tobacco, just my pipes don't make sounds if they don't eat.;)

Stormy and Robin like this.
  11. Robin

Robin Member

I have cats and dogs, fortunately none of them smoke! :)

Squidpanda, Coastal Bend and Thuber88 like this.
  12. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I usually have at least one OTC on hand at all times, but as far as tinned tobacco goes, I always have the Frog Morton Series. I have a long TAD list, most of which I haven't ever tried so I still haven't hammered out a real "favorites" list

Thuber88 and Robin like this.
  13. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

I can feel your pain, Coda. For the longest time I had an auto ship standing order of one pound of tobacco, once a month and always got a little jittery wondering if my supply would hold until the next order. (Often I would call in the third week to tell them to go ahead and ship now.) Starting last August I began ordering about three pounds a month, enough for free shipping, and now I don't worry so much about supply, just what to smoke next.

For some "staples" I know I'll be using on regular basis, like toiletries and some grocery items, I use the "backup plan." I have a can, for example, of shaving creme that is open and in use and another that is new. When the current one is empty the other is ready to go without worry. Then I can put that item on the list to get another "backup" but I have time to get the new backup. It does mean buying two at once one time, but after that it's good. Something like that might work for your PA supply, too.

14. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Yea, thats my plan. I have at least a fortnight before Defcon 1. So I'll get a pair of tubs then. Last night, I filled my jar and pouch, and noticed I was half way through the tub...I immediately started mentally computing my budget...

Robin, Thuber88 and Coastal Bend like this.
  15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

I have 2 drawers and two lower cabinet spaces filled plus 4 large and 2 small tobacco jars filled and more coming.

Robin and Thuber88 like this.
  16. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

I'm starting to come over to the idea of always keeping some bosun plug cut to hand after order 100g and sticking it in a jar. I only smoke it once a day but it's beginning to become a habit. I am becoming a little disturbed that sometimes I like to just sit the with the jar open and just sniff the stuff or I'll keep turning the jar over and over on it's side, watching the tobacco tumble over and over again. I think I need to see my shrink.:startl:

Robin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.