1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The Balkan Sobraine

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Xecutech, Feb 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

I am always on the lookout for harder to locate tobaccos. I have stocked up on some esoterica brands and ran across a few tins of The Balkan Sobraine, and was wondering what your opinions are of this blend, and is it worth stocking up on as I come across it?

Thanks, and what are a few others I should be on the lookout for?

2. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Where did you find it? (Or is it a secret?) :nwor:
    Many of the Samuel Gawiths are hard to find and also Stonehaven.

3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

My rule of thumb...if you enjoy smoking it, stock up on it. :puffy:

Snake, Stonewall, Mark w4mms and 3 others like this.
  4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I "liked" this. Then I unliked it, so that I could "like" it again.

5. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Cheers nesta!

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

JFG BS is a superbly smooth English. If you like lats & orientals, i'd say grab some!

Stock up on leaf you know you'll smoke, or want to try as your tastes start craving something "different".

Also, if there is leaf you know you like now and have a good chance you'll be smoking it in a few years....get some now and when the time comes around for you to discover you had this one stashed....2015 will be nice to smoke in 2015! Even bettet with some age!

Cellar what you'll smoke!

Ed
    Puff

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I want to horde tobacco that I enjoy so I can smoke it even when it's scarce, but this kind of behavior is a partial cause of said scarcity. I will sometimes buy more than one tin of something I've not had which is hard to come by because if I have reasonable expectations of enjoying the blend, and I'm not that hard to please, then I don't want to find out I REALLY like it and can't get more. That said, just because a tobacco is rare does not mean that it is good. It's hard to find Ferndown Yellow & Brown right now, and has been for a few months. I personally love the stuff, but many people are underwhelmed or even put off by it. I'd be irked to find out someone was hording the stuff but didn't even like it, just because it's hard to come by.

Yeah, you can trade it when it's tough to find again if it turns out you don't like it...and probably get more for it than you paid...but why not just stock up on what you know you like and let people who like the stuff get it at a more reasonable price? Tobacco is already expensive enough.

I'm not totally against stocking up on rare stuff for the hell of it, especially if you're into turning around and making it available to smokers again - look at that Pipestud fella who runs a shop devoted primarily to rare, out of production, or aged tobaccos. But I don't see the point in merely stocking up a personal cellar simply based on the rarity of a blend. Buy a tin and try it...if you like it, THEN stock up....just my two cents!

Rodfather likes this.
  8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Or should I have used the word "hoard?" Tough for me to keep the two straight sometimes, and too lazy to look it up right now :msty:

9. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Yes, hoard. I've used it wrong in the past myself.

Contextually:

The HORDE of pipe smokers ransacked the warehouses of the Samuel Gawith Company, today.

Puff the Magic's HOARD of FVF tins buried the beleaguered pipe smoker for 3 hours until rescuers arrived with cadaver dogs to search the massive pile.

Hope that clears it up.

Sent using Forum Runner

10. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

I had a local shop get some after I inquired about it. I also picked up another 8oz of stonehaven, since he said he ordered it knowing I'd buy it when I came back in.
    Most local shops can get any tobacco they want, but they only stock what they know will sell. I asked why they didn't stock any esoterica line and was told that their regulars didn't buy it.

I only stock up if I'm sure it's something I know I like. I don't buy just to trade, hoard or resell on ebay for crazy prices. I thinkpeople who do that are unfair to other smokers who want to smoke it. I am crazy over penzance and stonehaven, so I will be what I can when I find it. This Balkan Sobranie is also another new favorite now, and I am glad I bought 3 tins of it today.

nesta likes this.
  11. Mington

You are doing well sir!:th1:

12. Mington

Don't forget BradnTx and his stash of HV. I think he cornered the market in baby food jars too. heh

13. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Ha! I almost used Brad and his HV in that example.

Sent using Forum Runner

14. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

I am usually overkill on purchasing things that I like to smoke. I have a 6' humidor in my office and was buying a few hundred dollars worth of cigars every month. I have now found pipe tobaccos that I really love, and found that pipe smoking is more economical for me, except for all the pipe purchases. I am pretty much done buying pipes, as I bought a Savinelli 320 for my valentines day gift from my wife! :) (she gave me a pre-paid visa for an early v-day gift).

15. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Balkan Sobranie is no longer a hard to come by tobacco, as its been re-released. The older tins are, of course, hard to come by and sell for many times their original price on Ebay.

16. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'm thinking of picking up a few tins myself. How would you compare it to other blends you've tried, such as Squadron Leader and Ten Russians?

17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Pft, maybe at a B&M where nobody buys it. I sure haven't seen any tins since it came back out! There's a sign up at my local saying customers may only buy one tin at a time, but it's one of the well known pipe locations in a fairly big city, and I've never seen the actual tins the sign refers to. And last time I went there, they still had Penzance from a few months ago!

18. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

The reason I tried it is that I was told that it's like a smooth, balanced, Pirate Kake. Did someone say cake? Well, that's all it took to make me want to try it.
    It has some body, but it is smooth, very smooth. I was very shocked that right out of the tin, I smoked a bowl and it smoked all the way to the bottom with no relighting. Just a powdery white ash left in the bowl. A very pleasant smoke, and I have had 3 bowls so far, and getting ready for possibly 1 more.

Dondi and Mington like this.
  19. Xecutech

Xecutech Member

I haven't come across being limited to 1 can at a B&M, but did see it online like that from time to time. If they ever did do that, I guess I would send my wife back in to buy a tin. Then I'd rotate family members into their store until I got the amount I wanted. :)

20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

:haha: How big a family you got?

Mington likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.