1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The benefits of ghosting

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by buistd, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - Quite a few months ago I bought an estate pipe on ebay for a couple of pounds. It is an Algerian briar pipe made be Amiel. The pipe had a heavy floral ghosting (I suspect Condor or St Bruno) and even after a couple of rounds with salt and alcohol it was still pretty ghosted. I put it to one side and forgot about it, until this morning. I was trying to find a pipe to smoke some St Bruno in, and thought that rather than trying to get rid of the ghost, I should just encourage it. The smoke I had from it was amazing and revealed elements of the St Bruno that I hadn't previously picked up on. Around halfway through I got a couple of very soapy puffs from the ghost, but that was the only time the ghost alone was noticeable. At one point I actually laughed out loud at how incredible the smoke was. For the first time I now realise that a dedicated Lakeland/Floral/Soap pipe is not just necessary for protecting other pipes from ghosting, but for enhancing the quality of such blends.

Is this just me going mad or has anyone else found the same?

Old Codger, Jussto and Raffxr7 like this.
  2. Spam

Spam Member

I've certainly found my appreciation for Condor has increased the more I've smoked, and I do smoke that in a dedicated pipe. But I'm not sure whether it's the ghosting or just my palette developing.

3. Polymoog

Polymoog Member

Half of my smoking is St Bruno flake at the moment and i have three pipes dedicated to it on rotation.
    Each one just gets better and better every time i light up.

this is some awsome baccy, I have some on the go at the moment in an Ogdens St Bruno Pipe!

4. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I like a certain maple aro, I dedicated a pipe to it so the sweetness would be enhanced. Other pipes just don't taste right with that tobacco now.

Old Codger likes this.
  5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I agree that some ghosts are friendly!

Old Codger likes this.
  6. muddler

muddler Active Member

I agree - of course the objective of pipe dedication (OK, one of them) is to ghost/ develop the depth of flavour. I'm glad you like lakelands & weren't trying to make it a Va pipe! I'm still trying to get rid of the lakeland ghost in an Astley after several S&A treatments. It just won't go to the light!

7. buistd

buistd Active Member

The solution my friend is to buy a pound of Ennerdale and embrace the soap!

8. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

You are NOT going mad.
    This is the beauty of this
    Type of ghost!

9. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I love a good ghost & have some dedicated pipes. No floral soapies for me though!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.