1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Blend" of blends......

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Anyone do this? I have an apothecary jar, you know, one of those ceramic jars with a brass lid, painted and nice looking has "Tobak" and some flowery designs painted. Well, it's my "catch all" and anytime I have some toby, not really quite sure what it is but "know" it's toby.......I drop it in the jar. The only toby in the jar "IS" what I've put in there and it's all 'baccy I've smoked or would smoke. Sometimes I get the wild hair and go in for a bowlful............and the experience ranges from total satisfaction to not as great. Recognizable to way too busy or complex. But still, it's toby that would probably have been vacuumed up or thrown out. I usually make a deposit when jarring or just playing around with different 'baccies and not quite sure what the "strays" actually are. So, in it goes.

Some of the blenders have something like this, "table scraps" or "hodge podge" and that gave me the idea of rather than tossing it out, or loading up my bowl that has a "known" toby in it, I just toss it in the jar to smoke later or even later......... I check on it from time to time and drop in a humidifying "bomb" in the jar but otherwise, it just sits fat and happy.

I rationalize it like this although knowing that some toby does not play well with others but it's all mine, I'd smoke all of my toby (at differing rates of course), I try to only bulk up in the toby I know I'd smoke or really like............it's all good! Anyone this crazee? Or even crazier?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

You've gone mental, Puff. :velho:

:cheers:

3. Puff The Magic

Stuck in an apothecary jar................... I guess "THAT's" my padded room...........now where'd I leave my jacket? The straight jacket..........

:startle:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

behind the electroshock therapy chair. :xd:

5. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

& the bottles of perscription meds...

6. Puff The Magic

Oh shiite! Now I gotta go lookin' for them tooo! Danged, I got all comfortable in my new (tight) jacket and I'm runnin' around the house lookin' like a White Weenie with legs lookin' for "things"...... hope the neighbors don't peek!

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Stoked

Stoked Member

Hopefully you stay on the good side of your kids, Puff! I could just see a blowout with one of them, and them slipping a pinch of dried dog **** in with that concoction. "Oh don't worry about Dad, he smokes anything!" LOL

8. Puff The Magic

Ok, now I'm the only piper in the world that has chains and locks strung all around my apothecary jars........ NOT. My relationship with my kids is COOL. It's my wife that I'm worried about...........

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

9. Stoked

Stoked Member

That's good to hear about the kids. The wife was a given. LOL. I got the thought from Up in Smoke... funny scene where they followed the dog around for days and they wound up smoking "good ****".

Anyway, I never have lose tobacco of anything unless I'm blending my own and have blended slightly larger than one bowls worth. I take the extra bit and just throw it in with something like Red Cake. I smoke it up pretty soon so I never store extra toby like you do. Red Cake makes everything taste good. Even dog ****. :startle:

10. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I used to do that...until I tried the first bowl and it tasted like ****.

11. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

I've got some pretty odd combos. But once it gets to where it tastes OK I seal it in a mason jar and start over on the "mix" jar.

12. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

No "scrap Jar" here, anything left that won't fill a bowl is top of with something else. Otherwise known as a Parfait.

13. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I am a huge blnder, i love to blend my own stuff and like yall are saying there is always that little bit left over, and my jar isint a "pretty" as the one puff described but its just glass and it works, and i call it The Bombshell cause its an explosion of flavor, i know pretty lame but what can ya do. Sometimes it makes a really good smoke, then there are times you have to sit the pipe down, take a seat back and ask what the hell was i thinking.

14. Puff The Magic

Definitely a "Mystery X...............YZ" blend for sure. I primarily smoke Va's so it's somewhat safe I guess. I'll have to make sure it's well blended and maybe give it a "go". Was also thinking of pressing it using maybe a hydraulic jack and maybe some C-clamps. Pack it in saran/glad wrap, then squeeze the toby into having one big orgy of flavors. Maybe I'll have my own Mystery XYZ Krumble Kake? No? That's for yet another day though. I'm still busy getting my cellar together. I'd say it's fairly well complete (for me) but still trying to make it mo-bettahhhhhh.

On a different note, if you guyz have an "out of the way" B&M that's local to you, even a full fledged "head shop", some stock good toby and I found 4 tins of SG FVF at $8.50/per tin in a local head shop that primarily sells nothing but bongs and other smoking items! So, keep your eyez peeled and give 'em a look. May find something you didn't expect to see......

:groucho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

15. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

I started a leavings jar and while the contents were smokable, it was nothing to write home about. I sprinkled some small batch bourbon on it and have it aging in a Mason jar. I may crack it next spring to see if it got any better.

I really enjoyed the bulk Sterling Bargain, but they say this can vary widely depending on what leftovers they've got and I might've just been lucky.

16. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I've never had many leavings I guess. If it's a blend I like, when I buy more, I dump the old stuff out, put the new in the cannister and put the old on top and shake it up just a little. If I don't like a toby, I don't usually have leavings, because I don't smoke it to the bottom of the barrel so to speak. I usually find someone that likes that blend and give them what I have.

Toby I've given to other because of lack of interest:
    Peterson Sweet Killarny- smelled great, but sucked ash every time
    Burley Light- hadn't developed a taste for Burley yet or it was bad; not sure which
    Chart Topper- blend from a local tobacconist w/Cavendish & Burley

So, using Puffy's remedy, I wonder how this stuff would have mixed? Sounds kind of strange to me. I would like to try some blending at some point though. I just don't have the experience yet, I guess.

17. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

I like the idea of a "scraps Jar". Might just go ahead and start one up. Thanks for the idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.