1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

The Changing Direction Of My Collection

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by NeverKnowsBest, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeverKnowsBest

NeverKnowsBest Member

Apr 3, 2013
    When I started collecting pipes, before I worked at Smokers' Haven, I wanted pipes that were good smokers and classically styled. I needed pipes purely out of smoking necessity to give my first few pipes a rest. I naturally gravitated to estate pipes and coincidentally, I had built a small stable of Comoy pipes. I told people I was a Comoy collector. I studied the brand's history a lot, compared shapes, and spited Neill Roan (another Comoy collector) with a choice purchase or two. I started buying Comoy pipes that I didn't really care for other than maybe they had an ivory "C" or said "Blue Riband" or something on the side.

Then I got a pipe made by my co-worker Bill Shalosky. It quickly became my favorite pipe. Then I got a pipe made by my friend Joe Nelson (Old Nellie Pipes). I got a Nate King made pipe. Deniz Ural sold me on a Baki. Then I got a pipe by local Chuck Sands (R.C. Sands Pipes), and hopefully another one this weekend after he uses our sandblaster. I realized I liked all of these pipes better than any of my Comoy pipes, probably because the connection with the artisans, my friends, means quite a bit more to me than the historical value of the Comoy pipes.

So I sold all of my Comoy pipes, and I was sad to see some of them go, but now I look forward to getting more pipes from my friends. My next purchases - after yet another R.C. Sands pipe soon - will probably be a Thomas James and an Abe Herbaugh pipe. Just thinking about these pipes excite me more than the old Comoy I might find lying nameless and lonely on a table in Chicago or New York.
    Stormy, WalkinStick, dwaugh and 5 others like this.
  2. buistd

buistd Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    I can't remember who it was that said it a few weeks ago, but there is definitely something good about spending let's say $150 on a pipe made by a one-man-show than the same amount on a Peterson, Savinelli etc etc. I have seen a lot of very nice Butz Choquin, Chacom, Comoy, Rattray and so on pipes recently, but I would rather spend the money on individually crafted pipes made by one person. If you know the person, then even better. I've had my eyes on a couple of makers recently (well, on their pipes to be more specific) whose pipes sell for far less than more expensive factory-made pipes. If I hadn't just laid out a load more money on pipe making supplies I would definitely be getting one or two of their pipes.

Glad to see that you've found the beauty of artisan pipes, and whilst some are (justifiably???) expensive, there are others that are well within most people's price ranges.
    dBear and Rodfather like this.
  3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    I hear ya! My collection has run the gamut from all desirable old English pipes, to all desirable Italians and now to all meerschaum. I've finally settled down and found the type of smoking instrument that is perfect for my requirements. I still own and smoke a few briars but probably less than 5% of the time.

Finding a niche within the collection possibilities is a nice thing! Can take awhile, though.
  4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Apr 1, 2011
    I have only one pipe that I commissioned to be made by an artisan and it is one of my favs but I could never get rid of my Comoys. When I started smoking pipes most of my collection were cheap basket and drugstore pipes but I have gradually upgraded to Comoys, Petes and Stanwells. Hopefully I'll be able to commission more pipes and give away a few more basket pipes soon.
    jpberg, Smithy and dBear like this.
  5. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I started with basket and estate pipes too. I'm going to keep several of them, but I'll give some of them away here at some point. That is...if I can bring myself to do it. I've become quite the pipe hoarder.
    Smithy and dBear like this.
  6. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Feb 23, 2011
    I still love my Old English wood, GBD and Comoy and always have my eyes keenly focused for another. I admit that I have become more discrimating than I have been in the past. I too have been purchasing more NAC than anything else. It's a blast talking to the carvers and exchanging notes and sketches and then getting a great pipe.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    As strange as this may read, I think I'm happy so far. I have a few pipes on my list, and quite a few I'm going to sell or trade for tobacco (that's my intention, anyway) but I'm satisfied with the pipes I've elected to hold on to. At least for now...
  8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I'm a fan of classic British shapes and makers, but you sure have some good names on your short list. I saw an Old Nellie Rhodesian last year and it blew me away. If I do an artisan commission, he is at the top of that list. I also really admire Abe Herbaugh's work. Enjoy your new direction!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.