1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

The Honey Method

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ATXPipe, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

Hey all, I had a chance & wanted to post about a breakthrough I've had over the last week.

A year ago, I bought this unbelievably beautiful Savenelli (http://pipesandcigars.com/satrpiru602b.html) but haven't been able to get a cake on it at all. I smoked the snot out of it and hated every minute...everything tasted awful in this pipe. I was on the verge of getting rid of the pipe when I remembered someone on this forum talking about the honey method (dab a lil' honey inside the bowl, allow to dry & smoke per usual).

So I tried it, and presto...I have an amazing smoking pipe. In one week's time. It works, it really really works!

Maybe I need another Savenelli...up till now I'd been thinking I'd got a bum pipe 'cause of this one's refusal to play nice with me.

Anyway, thanks PSF.

2. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

You wouldent happen to sell cars would you? All I'm thinking right now is ShamWow

ATXPipe and Mark w4mms like this.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Anecdote, semi-weird. I have WDC pipe that, no matter how I smoked it, cake wouldn't take. The pipe is small, it was unsmoked when I bought it and the age was estimated by three well-informed pipe-guys at 100- to 110 years old. Drilled a bit high and chronically cakeless on a strict diet of vapers, the bowl wanted to gurgle or at least get very damp on the bottom 1/3 after a smoke or two. Following many months of frustration I mudded the heel; the pipe instantly smoked dry, the gurgling quit and it started caking almost immediately. shrug. fwiw.

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Here we go again!:)
    The honey method! I've used it recently on an Estate pipe with great success to even out the cake and get the bottom evened out.
    HOWEVER!!! Some people warn about using honey on a brand new pipe. Apparently honey could lead to burn outs when used on new bowls but I cannot vouch/comment on this as I've never tried it on a brand new bowl.

5. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Never heard the burn out theory. I also have had great success over the decades where I had trouble getting cake to build. Pipe Mud work great where needed as well.

6. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

The honey method works... almost too well. My favorite go-to pipe for flakes right now is a Savinelli I had trouble getting cake started in. I was afraid I was going to burn the inside so I used a bit of honey mixed with pipe ash to make a hybrid pipe mud solution. Now, six months later, this pipe is an amazing smoker and it has the best cake of any of my pipes currently. I'll have to ream it before long to keep it in check.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

When did people start thinking honey dosent work ? That ones been around forever and I've always did it w/ bowls that arent pretreated . I dont do it anymore cause I'n not into cake, . I knew people that didnt like the idea of it for some reason ... but not work ? Bah .. It works ... and even if it didnt .. it couldnt hurt . Ya just got to use a little bit is what might be the concern .

8. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

Mixing the honey with some pipe or cigar ash works even better.

9. user0003

The only trick is how much to use. If it's your first time use about 1/10 or even less as much as you are about to use.

IrishRover likes this.
  10. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Thanks for that tip. I was actually thinking it while I was reading!

11. user0003

You can always add little more but it's hell to get too-much out.....

12. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Honey works, just keep the coating very thin. I have also used warm sugar water. Warm because it will hold more dissolved sugar.

13. CraigH

CraigH Member

I haven't broken in a new pipe in about adozen years, but the honey method always worked great for me.

14. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I thought the Honey method was letting your wife break in the pipe for you???.....:whis: Sorry in advance folks....

15. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

It seems to work better on cobs IMO, but instead of honey I use Lyles 'Golden Syrup' (treacle - we call it!)......it's damn good on toast too! :th1:
    OT

shadow likes this.
  16. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

I've done this with all my briars. Question: is it done with meers too? I'm looking at a meer-lined briar.

thanks,

MG

17. user0003

No...Noo! Not to a meer!

18. HauntedMyst

HauntedMyst Member

Never use anything on a meer.

19. Max Gunner

Max Gunner Member

Gotcha. Thanks. Never had one, as you can tell.

20. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

It's just that Meers taste and smoke best with minimal to no cake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.